Thought you guys would get a kick out of this.. CA Vintage Plates anyone?

So i got bored and decided to try something... I know a lot of you guys probably have blue plates like me. 

Prior info, i powder coat in my garage, so this is just another one of my projects... I know the legalities of this so as a disclaimer ill say that these are for decorative purposes only, and if you were to have one done by me, ill "ask" that thats what you use it for lol.. Pm me. 

Enjoy

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you put it on a vehicle you will be cited,arrested and the vehicle impounded.Any more stupid statements?

OP already stated that its for decorative purposes only... what a buyer does with it is their own problem. Think of all the car parts on the road that are labeled as "off-road use only." Many of those parts are on daily drivers. 

Regardless of the legality or the correct lettering sequence mumbo jumbo, the plate came out looking great :thumbup:

Hey I had some shit head friends swap plates on their cars. They never got taken to jail (at least in OR, and WA) but did get cited.

Plates look cool man.  I have a blue/yellow plate from my goon. To bad the other one was missing :( OR and WA require both plates to be there. I kept the single plate and had the fugly tree plates put on

If you put it on a vehicle you will be cited,arrested and the vehicle impounded.Any more stupid statements?

You probably will get cited,you may get your car impounded but they arent going to put you in jail.In California they dont want anybody in jail.

As I understand it ... California starting issuing Blue and Yellow plates for 1970 passenger and commercial vehicles, but they used the surplus of Black and Yellow plates up first.  Most new cars had plates issues from Sac, out of state cars and used cars needing new plates typically got them from a local DMV which issued Black and Yellow commercial plates until late 1971 or perhaps early 1972.  After that all commercial plates were Blue and Yellow.  Most Black and Yellow plates had the last letter between A-K - where Blue and Yellow had the last letter L-Z, there are many 1971 commercial vehicles with Blue and Yellow plates ending in L.  Passenger car sequence is different, but I'll spare you those details.

I always wondered about the timing on that. Thanks!

You probably will get cited,you may get your car impounded but they arent going to put you in jail.In California they dont want anybody in jail.

Nope just want your money. :sneaky:

Haha, you guys are colorful.. 

Thanks for the info and compliments.. 

Yeah i read that article about the yellow and black plates coming back, interesting. 

look at it this way, if you do decide to put these on your car then whatever, all you. But like we all know a clean car and a sensible driver will probably never catch any flack. Cops have better things to do than bother someone for a plate color, but hey i'm not a cop what do i know ;-) 

Now lets all just have some fun. I powder coat all kinds of parts and ill throw up some projects. I get a chance... All done at home in my garage. 

• Like 1

I'd be interested in a set of vintage plates correctly colored and powder coated, just for the fun factor.  It'd be easy enough to just toss them on your car while parked at a show, removed when going home...  Just for the old school feel, ya dig? Kinda like the japanese plates people use on their cars here in the US.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...