New To the 720 crowd..

nismo24096

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did it myself, well had someone press it on and off for me.. but got the part from rock auto.  was actually pretty easy now looking back...but it helps to have a press and a air tools. to break that big ass center nut.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=495694&cc=1210239&jnid=441&jpid=5   it was 65.79  there were cheaper ones also.

• Like 1

Ok so I just made an impulse buy on ebay,  I can never find a replacement tailgate for mine which after sandblasting I found it to be mainly bondo...would be a pain in the ass to repair...and the only other one that has showed up that was rust free with the curved side rails was stamped nissan.  so when this popped up i just bought it...its new old stock (aftermarket) part, its got one dent on the bottom, easy fix from being stored for a while but  other than that seems to be in good shape, suxs that its not stamped datsun..but i can always put the datsun vinyl lettering on it if I want to...and I could always say i was going for that smooth custom look too...lol

on with the pics...

tailgate_zpsmilebz71.jpg

tailgate%20back_zpssxzqruld.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the tailgate came in yesterday, only slightly damaged " Thankyou mister Postman " one corner at the bottom was rolled under. got it mostly bent back out, will finish the job once i get it ready for primer.  I also got most of the brackets cut and shaped for the front split bumpers. Pictures will come once I get it all done I will do a before and after welding shots, its gonna be made out of 1.5 inch angle iron. so its not going anywhere.

Still waiting on my ST steering wheel to arrive, I will be restoring it and doing a new leather wrap on it once it arrives. the old one has already been removed. I will post pics once it comes in....currently kinda lost in transit...kinda pissed about that since it was mailed on feb 23 with two day shipping...the post office in texas must sux..

• Like 1

The final bumper height was determined by the body molding line.. since i want to continue it on the bumper which has fhe same 1.5 inch flat area on it this is why it got moved up...i plan to fill what is left od the holes with some slim fit driveing lights..

• Like 1

OK update time, I got the mounts all finished and welded up, Today I learned how to weld..I got to say I liked it alot...might need to get me a welder soon for future projects... anyways on with the pics. all that is left to do is drill the hole for the outer mounting point, and drill the mounting holes for the bumpers themselves.   By the way all of this was created with one 6 foot section of 1.5 inch angle iron...

20150313_140820_zpsgbnmqetu.jpg

20150313_140848_zpsznfdslqt.jpg

20150313_140939_zpsxhblgfvt.jpg

20150313_141124_zps59o9ktjb.jpg

20150313_141152_zpshca5kciw.jpg

20150313_142815_zpsba4ipzms.jpg

20150313_142845_zpsabxigwff.jpg

20150313_161110_zps67qbfbvu.jpg

20150313_162636_zps5qclviub.jpg

20150313_162643_zps4gzelhll.jpg

20150313_162904_zpsf7ahceva.jpg

20150313_162953_zpsrcmauk2j.jpg

• Like 2

second pic with the bolt in it are not mine. but the closeup pic is..he showed me how to do the side to side motion and how to hold it..he did half of the first bracket...watched me do the other half..told me to slow down my hand speed..then said now you do the other one...and walked away...lol. best training ever....thanks for the comments. he also was kinda shocked when he came back to find me all done....and said my penitration was good..and no real bubble gum welds.

• Like 2

Ok finally got my ST steering wheel in today...about damn time, sprayed it with wd40 to get the rusted bolts out. then took it all the way apart and cleaned everything and painted the brown hub plastic black. and just for shits and giggles i took the horn button apart..super easy to do and you can change the picture out. i put a harley logo over the nissan one just to test it out, not a harley fan myself but it was the  first one i found in  a mag that was the right size... im gonna either do a ratsun rat n wrenches or a custom datsun logo.. anyways on with the pics.. I really got to remember to take before pics...

20150314_174730_zpsojxk0t59.jpg

20150314_174813_zpsp6axexol.jpg

20150314_175615_zpsgepiujyv.jpg

20150314_181903_zps5avmncuf.jpg

20150314_182637_zps876vjkxp.jpg

20150314_184058_zps4opa8nja.jpg

20150314_190740_zpsczwd0wfl.jpg

20150314_190942_zpsyiagaple.jpg

• Like 1

second pic with the bolt in it are not mine. but the closeup pic is..he showed me how to do the side to side motion and how to hold it..he did half of the first bracket...watched me do the other half..told me to slow down my hand speed..then said now you do the other one...and walked away...lol. best training ever....thanks for the comments. he also was kinda shocked when he came back to find me all done....and said my penitration was good..and no real bubble gum welds.

Really helps if an experienced welder sets initial current and wire feed settings....... split bumper(bumper-ettes) looks GOOD!. I like seeing all the different ways datsun ownerz make their ride unique.

• Like 2

Really helps if an experienced welder sets initial current and wire feed settings....... split bumper(bumper-ettes) looks GOOD!. I like seeing all the different ways datsun ownerz make their ride unique.

Thanks and yes he had it dialed in for me. It's taking forever to get my truck done at his shop but I'm getting a good deal and doing a lot of the work myself...which is worth more to me than a quick turnaround...this way when people compliment me on it...I can honestly say I built that....it's all gonna be worth it in the end...and by that time I will have learned some new skills also. I plan on helping him out at the shop afterwards just because I enjoy the work...lol. And access to tools and toys I don't have at home.
  • Like 1

Ok no real update today but I did play with the horn button some more.. here are some pics. if you look at the homer button you can see the nasty scratches that were in the horn. that I buffed out. my daughter says to run the swiss army one since its black and matches the wheel...lol so im gonna run that til I make me a custom datsun or ratsun one.

FB_IMG_1426427009017_zpsraqi7f4p.jpg

IMG_20150315_095544_zpspxva1cck.jpg

IMG_20150315_101515_zpswjuiobew_edit_142

cant really see the scratches anymore...

• Like 1

lol in due time man, not much has happened to the truck itself in a while, which is why I have been doing all the little things. but as we all know its the little things that make it special. 

I have so many  cool little ideas and plans for the truck that I want to do.  I cant wait to get to the inside and start that process. there will be custom door cards, and custom stereo install...lots of plans.

Ok got the front bumpers all bolted up and ready to go. I will be sending the brackets off to be powdercoated soon. also got my side marker lights installed.  Im pretty damn happy with the final look, I will be welding up the big square opening on the bumpers as well as making an end cap for the inside edge of them. Pics as soon as that is done..of course.

20150317_141418_zpsqljuna3i.jpg

20150317_134000_zpsdboy0a9t.jpg

20150317_133951_zpsnwnals0h.jpg

20150317_133857_zpsvztevbyb.jpg

20150317_133358_zpskec2mx0l.jpg

20150317_133140_zpslrud5gfs.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok made some small adjustments to my front bumpers, had to cut and grind them some, but in the end I moved them inward about 1.5 inches and snugged them up closer to the body, now they don't extend out so far, which started to bug me some..lol  I also found a use for my old tailgate, I couldn't bear the thought of just trashing it. so I cut out the part that was not rusted and it will be panel welded to the inside of my bed below the rear window area, which is a replacement panel i had to make due to rust in that area also.  so I think the end result is gonna look very custom and cool. once the bedliner is applied to everything.  now on with the pics.

20150325_152716_zpsel8qi5vq.jpg

now they dont cover the tips of my marker lights.

20150325_152730_zpsfwrcasnl.jpg

Much better and closer to body.

20150325_153037_zpszdzln9m7.jpg

Now they dont hang out so far, bumpers now align with the headlights.

Im very pleased with the changes as a whole.

20150325_153659_zpsuo3uy1rk.jpg

this is where the cutout of the old tailgate will go.

20150325_155215_zpsst7foufa.jpg

rip to the old tailgate. it was just too rusted out to be worth doing metal work to make it whole again.

• Like 2

Are you going to weld up the rubber bumper hole in the bumperettes?   If the bumperettes were center with the expanded metal then the bumperettes would look more stock.  This would also reveal more of the parking lights.

Thanks man, I feel the same way.....now i i would stop changing things and just paint it already...lol....but in all seriousness I'm glad that i am not rushing this project because it would be so much worse to have it out of paint then see something that I want to change...its getting there small steps...I really only get to work on it one maybe two days a week now..and only for about three hours at a time. so I pick little things to tackle,  next thing will be to finalize the datsun panel on to the inner bed panel. and weld up the holes in the front bumper... 

• Like 1