New seatbelts for the 520

XXL

I just finished installing my new seatbelts.  See this thread for the seat redo.

I worked with Steve at Seatbelt Planet for the materials.  I had him wind their 7" auto-retractor unit backward so I could flip them around and tuck the retractor reel in behind the seat since there is so little room between the seat and the door.  I then used their 14" memory cable for the inboard side.  Here are some pics of the finished product...

seatbelts01.jpg

seatbelts02.jpg

seatbelts03.jpg

seatbelts04.jpg

seatbelts05.jpg

seatbelts06.jpg

seatbelts07.jpg

seatbelts08.jpg

seatbelts09.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

XXL,

The seatbelt retrofit looks great.

Do you still have the original pair of 520 seatbelts available?  I am looking for a set for my project.

Thanks,

Keith

I am interested in a set as well.  Can we get the information on the place that made them?

• Like 1

Did 520s have seat belts? Mine doesn't appear to have ever

had any. Was it a option?

All cars and light trucks sold in the US since January 1, 1968 were required by Federal law to have seatbelts, though the specifics have changed (ie, 2-point became 3-point, and so on).  Prior to this legislation, the federal government withheld funds from states that did not have certain safety equipment laws on their books... as such, car companies were already putting seatbelts in several years earlier (though it wasn't required until 1968).  Some manufacturers offered them as options prior to 1968... but I don't know whether that was the case for Datsun.

I have an early 520, single headlights. i've owned it for over 30 years. It was my second vehicle. It did not have seat belts when I bought it, but it does have the mounting holes in the floor, behind the front seat, for seat belts to be installed. A few years ago, i did install after market lap belts.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

I was wondering if anyone has any experience mounting these same belts from seatbelt planet to a Datsun 521?

I'm noticing my 521 side mounts are inset ever so slighting so you don't get a flush alignment when you try and attach the retractor set up to the side mount. 

I was wondering if the way round this was just to use a brass bushing or something to space it out?

C126-A7-C8-26-EA-4-C94-AC85-E6618-BC7219

82-F80-DEC-22-FE-4-F70-A5-B7-2-E378-F749

0-D6-CC10-E-17-C3-409-B-855-F-C6524-DDA0

I just finished install of 3-point retractable belts into my 521 - got them from seatbelt planet.  Check out this archived NWDE thread http://nwde.ratsun.net/nwde/archive/4304.htm

Re: The cab mounts for the retractors, I used 3" extension bracket (like this) and bent to fit the cab. Have to use a twist like in above thread to match body profile and have retractor lay flat. Also drilled hole for bolt head relief. Works good and tucks behind seat.

If using a 2 point with retractors, think winding backwards as above would give best fit.

Edited by Tucson620

Thanks @Tucson620 This is super helpful. I spoke to Steve at Seatbelt Planet and he seemed to think the belts do not need to be wound backwards as they work in both orientations. I was a little confused here as from what I read on older posts that didn't seem to be the case.

I'll give the custom brackets a shot and let you know how it goes thanks!