240z diff

edekalil

I have a 240z differential I believe it is called a r180, it came out of a manual shift car. I also have a 510 differential that came out of a automatic car witch should make it a 411 geared. What I am wondering is the half shafts that attach to the rear ends are different. Should I use the shafts that are on the 240z diff if I use the 240z diff being it will add some weight to the rear of the car, or do I use the 510's half shafts?

240x diff

IMG_20130407_124108.jpg

Thanks

Eddie

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the 510 shafts should be able to attach to the 240z diff? I take it I will have to remove the parts that the 510 shafts attach to from the 510 diff and attach them to the 240z diff. Just not sure what is involved or how complex it is to do.

Eddie

I'll have to see what the best way to swap them over will be. I guess remove the 5 bolts on each side of the diff and it must come out as a whole unit?

Eddie

No!  That is the bearing retainer.  On the 240z diff disassemble the u-joint at the diff, then remove the bolt holding the stub shaft in the diff.  On the 510 diff, remove the 4 bolts holding the u-joint assembly to the stub shaft and remove the bolt holding the stub shaft in the diff.  Both stub shafts will then just pull out.

I have a 240z differential I believe it is called a r180, it came out of a manual shift car.

Yes R-180 (likely 3.364 ratio)

I also have a 510 differential that came out of a automatic car witch should make it a 411 geared.

L16 510 sedans only used R-160 3.90/3.70 ratios

What I am wondering is the half shafts that attach to the rear ends are different. Should I use the shafts that are on the 240z diff if I use the 240z diff being it will add some weight to the rear of the car, or do I use the 510's half shafts?

The R-180 is wider than the R-160 differential, so I don't think either half shafts will work.

My info shows both 3.70 and 3.889 but whenever I quote one someone says the other.  Maybe Canada/US difference?

Ah... found it.

The L13 equipped 510 had a 4.375.

The L14  with 3 speed standard had 4.375

The L14 with 4 speed had a 4.11 (I think Byron of 'The Realm' has an L14) god knows where he got it.

had the 510 and 240 half shafts side by side they are the same length 

but the rear end you have looks like its a 74 260 one the 240 ones have 4 bolts that bolt the half shaft 

260 was the style I am looking at in your pic 

I got it a long time ago off of a 240z from a friends junk yard. Here is an emblem I got off of a fender or some part of the car.

IMG_20130415_105341.jpg

Maybe the car was made right before the 260z came out. I guess my only concern at this time is when I take the bolt that holds

the stub axial in will all the parts stay put inside the case nothing will fall out of place. I just swap the stub axial and replace the bolt.

That should do it.

Eddie

Well here is what I figured out. The 510 diff flange assembly (the little end parts that slide out and into the diff the half shafts connect to) are for sure different.

The 510 ones are stuck out further from the 510 diff.

IMG_20130421_143342.jpg

The 240z ones do not stick out as much.

IMG_20130421_143334.jpg

They will not swap out. So the good news is the half shafts do look the same.

IMG_20130421_144026.jpg

I should be able to swap the 240z diff with it's half shafts into my 510. I guess the problem is solved.

Eddie

Why not?  I'm only speaking hypothetically because I don't actually know, but why couldn't the stubs on the 240z diff just insert further into the diff than on the 510 diff while still being the same shaft?  I recall that on one (maybe with the R200) there are differences with the dust shields on the stubs.

The 240Z stubs won't work in the R160, because they fit too far into the diff and will beat the snot out of the seal plates with the nuts that hold the halfshaft on.

The 240Z and 510 u-joint axles are the same length, because they're the same units...and the R200 280Z axles are STILL the same units...same length, both compressed and at full stretch.

It is possible to fit the R200 in the back of the 510 using the stock U-joint axles, but you do need to shorten them slightly...not difficult to do, but requires some careful disassembly and reassembly of them.

How about the outer stub axles and companion flanges? Are they 25 spline units like the 240Z?

Well from what I read way back in the how to modify your 510 book it says that a 240z diff will fit into the 510. That is why I got this way back to use. I will get a chance to check the width from one flange assembly edge to the other. If the width is the same as the r160 on the 510 then the r180 from the 240z should work fine. It should not make any difference that it has one side with a yoke type flange. It just seemed to change it my be more work that is not needed.

Eddie