favorite 510 picture

This is probably my favorite photo of any 510 I've owned (my 3rd '68 4dr). I don't know if it's because I liked this car so much, or if it was the story that lead up to this photo, and the place it was taken: the short version was that I blew up the motor some 800 miles from home (piston collapsed due to foreign piece of gasket plugging main jet on twin Mikuni carb set up/ cyl#3 - leaning out that one cylinder at highway speed for possibly up to 3 hours of constant prairie driving). So I limped it, smoking like hell, to an acquaintance of my fathers. The next morning I sourced a wrecking yard L20B ('76 710), hired a cab to get it from the wreckers to my fathers friend place, and installed it complete, with my old carbs and exhaust manifold, made an exhaust mod to hold it together all in the same day. At 11pm I hit the road, bound for home. I drove until 2am, and I just couldn’t hold my eyes open any longer, pulled off at a brake check pull out on the highway and slept in the car, strapped into my 5 point harness in my RCI aluminum seat (with my jumper against the drivers window for a pillow). I woke up just before sunrise, and hit the highway again. As the sun was just breaking the horizon, I was approaching the Rocky Mountains from the eastern side, just outside of Jasper Alberta on the Yellowhead Hwy. I pulled over in the brisk cool morning air, and took this photo while standing in the middle of the deserted highway.

Green_680003-2.JPG

BTW The rest of the trip home was clear sailing - that $100 wrecker motor lasted two years of serious abuse before one day dropping a valve seat (watch those original damn U67 Bronze intake seats!)

One day I'll find the original photo, and have it properly scanned, because this rendering doesn’t do the car any justice.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hayahsi street fins. You can still but them new ex japan and they come in all sorts of awesome widths and offsets. I can't find the website anymore

but IIRC correctly you can get practically everything between 13" and 15" and 6" wide to 9" wide :)

I'll keep looking for the site. It was a while ago now

Some Russian Tourists stopped to get gas at the AM/PM we where meeting up at to go to Nick's and this girl just loved the little cars! Probably thought it was a tricked out Trabant! :)

Russkie2.jpg

did you get her number? shes hot :drool:

• 3 weeks later...

epic1.jpg

Took my first road trip in the fairly street legal re-built dime, Went down to Maryhill museum, winery, & WW1 Stonehenge, in Goldendale, Wa. From Everett. I took I-90 to 82 down to Goldendale. I tried to go back up through trout lake to Mt. Rainier but that 'highway' was actually dirt and full of potholes the size of lakes! Needless to say, the dime was too low for it. I ended up cruzing back out to I-5 north back to up to Everett. She ran like a champ the whole way and averaged about 24mpg even with my SU's running a little rich :)