Universal Radio for Classic Cars

On page 153 of the latest JC Whitney catalog [728J-07] may be your solution. Part number XS368190F, $249.99, is the ?Retro Sound Universal Radio with CD Changer Control?. It fits classic dash openings. The knobs are separate, with adjustable brackets, from the face plate so any opening [think the weird Philco knob locations in the 65 Mustang]. The face plate can be mounted independent of the body which can literally be mounted anywhere in the car. The unit has four 60 Watt outputs, 2 preamp outputs, USB and auxiliary MP3 input and a full function remote. The CD Changer controller works with Sanyo compatible CD changers. Sounds like a lot of function and flexibility for the money.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the PO handed it to me & said it was in the car & worked fine. May not be factory Datsun but like u said it looks close enough. Heres the 620 radio & backing plate i described. Along with it is a 510 dash speaker install kit still in the box i bought for $1.50 @ an electronics supply store. The speaker it still wraped in plastic...

7-16stockradios.jpg

notice the JDM writing on the box [above pic] :lol:

7-16stockspeakerbox.jpg

This is the one in my 71. I got it to work on the bench but the stock speaker in the car is shot as hell. The radio has what appears to be a small tube amplifier. Yeah,I took it apart.

2008_0715Image0010.jpg

I have a stock am only for both the 521 and 620 too. I like that stock 510 speaker kit.:cool:

I read a thread somewhere that directed me to a roadster forum thread about adapting an ipod to a stock AM deck. Anybody hear anything about that?

Shifty worked out the details to make the MP3 player work with a stock am/fm unit. It uses the aux pigtail that was for an cassette or eight track unit. The details can be found at 311s.org. Works great. I saw it with my own eyes in his garage while he was hammering out the details. No one is going to rip off a stock radio unit from the seventies.

[/b] 4-10ogradio.jpg

Is that really a 510 radio? Other than the plastic plate it looks nothing like the one in my 71. Its pretty cool though.

That is an after market radio circa 1968. I bought an AM only version [looks exactly like this one] for $17. in 1968. Mine came with a chromed metal plate with horizontal grooves that looks almost exactly like the factory blanking plate, which I still have.

Is that really a 510 radio? Other than the plastic plate it looks nothing like the one in my 71. Its pretty cool though.

That is an after market radio circa 1968. I bought an AM only version [looks exactly like this one] for $17. in 1968. Mine came with a chromed metal plate with horizontal grooves that looks almost exactly like the factory blanking plate, which I still have.

Hey good to know..kool !!

if you have a cassette deck use one of these and you can plug your mp3 player or cd-man into it.

107.jpg

if you have a 1/8 cd input or mp3 1/8 imput on the face of your car stereo use one of these to hook up your mp3 or cd-man.

mbl-mini-st.jpg

if your really cool get one of these. you can hook it to the back of your car stereo to use a mp3 or cd-man. this same cable if your super cool will plug into your home stereo's aux or tape input so you can listen to your mp3 through your home stereo. there's nothing like having your mp3 coming out of your sansui g-8000. the same cable if your super duper cool will hook up to your aux or tape input on your home stereo and plug in to the green 1/8 jack on your computer. i have a seperate stereo with 2 sets of speakers hooked up to my computer with one of these cables.

o_pc_audio_rca_cable_01.jpg

also for those of you that just want fm on your am radio get a fm converter. it's a old school concept but they work great and i've used a few different brands.

I just found the Radio Shack one I had in my old '75 Dodge van in a box of parts. Doesn't appear to be made anymore.

Radios, stereos and such are an interesting subject. Many, many different companys that one would have to almost build a website devoted specifically to them all. Maybe one exists. As far as I know, all Datsun provided radios said Datsun on them. Then remember the Datsun radio filler plates. You could (and I did) buy a Datsun without a radio. I specified on My 1977 kingcab none and it came with 2 faceplates. One in the dash and the other in the center console. Ironically, I installed a BOWMAN cassette player later. It was a cheaper brand that I bought at a Fedmart or Fedco (when THOSE were still around!)