The forgotten Beige 69 510 build *Pics fixed through page 16*

Draker

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats on the success! The late night thrash before an event is one my most cherished aspects of this hobby. When we dig deep and focus under pressure... The things we can accomplish - pretty amazing.

Congrats Craig, you did more to the car in the last couple weeks than most do in a year, including myself!

Thanks guys. It was tough and I couldn't have done it without Al. I sent him a text last weekend after I finished installing the old motor and heard that terrible engine noise again. He was able to find this rusted short block sitting in the bed of a 620 about 20 miles south of Eugene. Problem was, truck and engine were being sold together.

Well, he bought the truck and towed it up here.. and I got to work rebuilding the engine. 

• Like 1

When I bought these seats it was missing this metal bar that holds the headrest seat skin on. I called Recaro and a few of their US seal dealers looking for the part. I never found anyone that had it.

So... today I bought a scrap piece of sheet metal and cut it to shape. Then did this:

20160418_144507_zpsdjhprvv7.jpg

20160418_160032_zpsf86jcz8p.jpg

20160418_155943_zpspqyiwgmj.jpg

20160418_160048_zpsayjcyurx.jpg

• Like 3

Also I can't post those pictures without giving huge credit to Mike Klotz. He made me some new headrest sleeves that goes down into the seat and supports the pole. Another part that is NLA from Recaro.

Thanks again Mike! Only took me a year to install them.... lol

• Like 3

I've been so busy and the weekend was so busy , I haven't had a chance to share the pictures or the journey . But I will catch up pretty soon and share .

Dude you busted your ass on this car, and that lemon of an L couldn't keep good man down .

Glad to be a part of your dimes story .

• Like 4

I've been so busy and the weekend was so busy , I haven't had a chance to share the pictures or the journey . But I will catch up pretty soon and share .

Dude you busted your ass on this car, and that lemon of an L couldn't keep good man down .

Glad to be a part of your dimes story .

I'm too stubborn to give up on that shitty block... it's gonna go to the machine shop for a second opinion. lol

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe these cars came with either rubber mats throughout or carpet. When I got my car it was stripped, but there were remnants of old grungy carpet inside.

Does your 69 have any carpet? The autocross class rules for the SM class that my car will be in stipulate that carpet should be retained, but I haven't ever had carpet to speak of.

I'm curious if you have any picture the linkage for your carbs. The car I just purchased has an L20 with Dual Side Draft SUs but the linkage is missing. Not sure where to source this and may have to fabricate.

here you go

20160505_211615_zpsam9aki9p.jpg
20160505_211601_zps5wy6d0or.jpg
20160505_211552_zpspcib9vg3.jpg
  • Like 1

And so it begins..... body work 2016.

Dropped of the trunk lid to be dipped. I figured... It was worth the price to not have to fuck with stripping paint and treating surface rust. I need to pick up some epoxy primer and get to work!

• Like 2