521: Project C

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea who sells a flatbed rack that will fit on a small truck, like a 521?  What I've found is racks made for full size pickups and larger.  I suspect there are local companies that custom build them (?)

flatbed_c.jpg

Make your own flatbed, that's what I do, the most expensive part is buying the metal, sometimes metal yards have surplus pieces/remnants that can used for a lot less money.

I made this one out of remnants.

100_0145.jpg

I think you're right.  I'm starting to look around the welding shops locally.  There are a few truck body shops here but I think they'll charge me a couple of grand to build a rack -- more if it's aluminum.

I have the same wrecking yard that found my L20, looking around for a used flatbed.  If any RATSUN guys here have experience in building a rack like that, I'd like to hear from you.  Simple flatbed with a frame around the cab outline and bars across the rear window.

If you don't have a welder, I would forget the flatbed unless you can find a used one in the wrecking yard and adapt it to your frame, it's just to much money to have one made by a welding shop, they have to make money, and by the time it's done, it's worth more than the truck.

If you have a good datsun buddy that welds near you, then it's more realistic, if you cut and drill everything and have it ready, then all that needs done is the welding, which 4 hrs would likely do it unless you start adding stake pockets and such luxuries, then it starts taking time.

Look for a stepside box also, the type with the fenders separate from the stepside pieces themselves, that way you can mount the fenders where ever they need to be on the box.

Of course your best avenue would be to find a 521 box if you can.

• Like 1

If you don't have a welder, I would forget the flatbed unless you can find a used one in the wrecking yard and adapt it to your frame, it's just to much money to have one made by a welding shop, they have to make money, and by the time it's done, it's worth more than the truck.

If you have a good datsun buddy that welds near you, then it's more realistic, if you cut and drill everything and have it ready, then all that needs done is the welding, which 4 hrs would likely do it unless you start adding stake pockets and such luxuries, then it starts taking time.

Look for a stepside box also, the type with the fenders separate from the stepside pieces themselves, that way you can mount the fenders where ever they need to be on the box.

Of course your best avenue would be to find a 521 box if you can.

As usual your spot on.  I asked around a few local truck body and welding places, hard to have anything made for less than a couple of grand.  I have a old flatbed frame off the parts truck but its just too rusty to be worth fixing.  So, I put in some requests and the yard where I got the L20 motor from says he actually does see a mini truck flat bed now and again.  So, we'll see what comes along.  My goal is not to have a dually heavy duty flatbed muscle truck, but really a pickup-type platform that happens to be a flat bed.  I think weight wise it won't be much more than the weight of a standard pickup bed and possibly less.  My enthusiasm for this truck has come and gone, now I'm looking at this as a fun project.  We'll see how long that sentiment lasts.

My truck was a non-dually flatbed for a brief period of time, maybe a couple years max, it did have a couple good qualities, I could go double high on the side boards, because the bed didn't stick out past the mirror with 12 inch high sides, but when I went dually axle, then I could only have 6 inch high side boards because 12 inch blocked the mirrors on both sides, all I could see was the boards.

I could also load it as high as I could get it, because the wood didn't block the mirrors when it was non-dually.

I went with the dually for the cool factor, everyone remembers who I am when I am pressure washing, I'm the guy with that red little dually truck with the trailer that looks like a bums shack, before I used the datsun 521, I was driving a 1947 chevy truck, that one was even more recognisable, everyone asked if I was the one with the old truck when talking to me on the phone.

521 boxes used to be all over the place 5 years ago, now they are hard to find also, I sent an email to a guy on craigslist a couple days ago, he has 2 521 trucks that could be had for $150.00 without titles, but he said someone else had emailed him first, and he would let me know if that guy bailed, I have not heard from him since.

As I mentioned, you can actually make a flatbed without welding it, but you have to bolt everything together, it's a whole LOT of drilling, but it can be done, and then later when you find someone, a lot of it can be welded in place, fact is, none of my wood bed is bolted down, it just sits there surrounded by metal framing, both sides and the front are 3X5 90 degree angled steel, and the rear piece is 2X6 steel, so I can lift the boards out from the rear anytime I want.

All the lights and tie downs came later, after the bed was made, the only lights that were made while putting it together were the taillights, I drilled hundreds of 1/8 inch holes in a circle so I could knock out the metal and grind the sides smooth to mount them, I had to make 6 five inch holes in the 2X6 rear piece to mount them taillights, that took a lot of time, as I did not have a 5 inch hole saw that could cut metal, and I was not about to spend the money to buy one either.

I wish you were closer, I still have the regular flatbed frame in the back, but I cut it in 3 pieces to make it easier to handle.

Believe it or not, you can just sit the outer flatbed frame on the boards if the boards are bolted down to a structure underneath, and then bolt that frame to the boards, no welding needed.

Wayno, I dig that 720 with the turbines on it.  I'd rock that thing!

That one is long gone, I went through a selling spree about the same time I bought and built the 521 kingcab, I had no 320s, 520s, and only had the 521 flatbed, all 3 of them 720s are diesels.

Soon after this photo, I started the 521KC, and joined Ratsun.

100_0145.jpg

The red 720 dually diesel was also already stretched, I did a lot of stuff back then.

If you're looking for a stock 521 bed,i know of a couple. I was planning on buying 1 for the bed floor,& maybe the other one for a trailer. Both are "back halves someone started to make trailers out of. I just need sections to patch the huge rusted out sections in my trucks bed,but I have been kicking around other ideas too,like polished diamond plate,or a nicely finished wood floor. At the moment I have a bedliner in there & a canopy on top. By the way,are you still going to run those slot mags? I'm searching for a set for my 521.

If you're looking for a stock 521 bed,i know of a couple. I was planning on buying 1 for the bed floor,& maybe the other one for a trailer. Both are "back halves someone started to make trailers out of. I just need sections to patch the huge rusted out sections in my trucks bed,but I have been kicking around other ideas too,like polished diamond plate,or a nicely finished wood floor. At the moment I have a bedliner in there & a canopy on top. By the way,are you still going to run those slot mags? I'm searching for a set for my 521.

I have two truck beds, well 3 actually but one is pretty trashed.  I want to put a flatbed, versus a standard pickup truck bed.  Yea I'm keeping the slot mags but that same guy is always selling them on ebay.

I agree, I'm not comfortable with an all wood flatbed.  Prefer a metal frame with a wood deck.

• 4 weeks later...

Well.  Life happens and my priorities have had to change a bit.  I'm selling this one, and will include sufficient parts to make a complete truck.  The son of the mechanic (who bought the Project A truck) is having a look at it this week.  If he's not interested I'll assemble the truck and sell it whole.

It's a 1972 521, with a running L16 and 4 speed.  It's a project of course, I'll post current photos later.

• 2 weeks later...

A new day, a new attitude toward this project.  As I was building the "Project B" truck I invested in a lot of "two of this, two of that" things intending to use them on this truck.  That said, I'm pushing forward with finishing this truck, as a pickup configuration (versus a flatbed).  Have an L20 B for it and 5 speed trans. 

• 6 months later...

Sold the original truck bed to another 521 guy in Camarillo. This truck is in the paint shop today getting battery-related corrosion in the engine bay repaired.  Then it goes to Humberto the mechanic who will install a stock L16 and 4 speed that came out of my Project B truck.

truckbed_zps25217696.png

Sold the original truck bed to another 521 guy in Camarillo. This truck is in the paint shop today getting battery-related corrosion in the engine bay repaired.  Then it goes to Humberto the mechanic who will install a stock L16 and 4 speed that came out of my Project B truck.

truckbed_zps25217696.png

Oh my, carry them boxes upside down and just tie the hooks together, no scratches on your truck sides that way.

• 4 weeks later...

The truck is finally at the shop. Putting an L16 and 4 speed that came out of the yellow truck (which now has an L20).  The bed is off the first 521 I bought and when it goes in for paint I'll take off the roll pan off the rear and restore it to a stock look.  The doors and hood have been cleaned up and primed but left off as the truck goes for paint after this. The driver side rear wheel is locked, probably rusted in place from sitting.  I have another rear end but the mechanic will try to get this one unfrozen first.

2m5kok1.jpg

epjebl.jpg

152p17n.jpg

Yes those are real eggs.  No idea how they got there but the truck sat at the body/paint guy's place for months.

117qpsw.jpg

The body and paint guy welded up metal from a parts truck to patch up the corrosion below the battery tray.

10yfkeg.jpg

• Like 2