I am open to all suggestions

K_trip

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to just get it going and drive it, find another L series motor and drop it in.  Can be done in 2 hours and back on the road.

If you want a project, do the KA swap. many people are doing it, theres lots of documentation on it. And redeye sells the motor mounts.... 

Whoa whoa whoa..... L motors do NOT throw rods through the block. To do that it has to have no oil lubrication. The heat welds the rod to the crank and it has no option but to snap off below the piston, it goes around and the rod top end hits the side of the block. It can't do that without making a lot of noise, a LOT of noise, before that. I don't doubt that it was hot enough for a fire. 

• Like 1
So this doesn't happen to a L-series, or it's very rare ... okay then, lucky me!

Back to my question for you guys, what should I do next?

I see izzo and Rick-rat have weighed in, and so far - no one has suggested I give up on the girl.

Very rare, it only happens when something else fails or on a poor rebuild. From what I've gathered on Ratsun, bearings generally only spin when there's an oiling problem. Like gasoline thinning down the oil??? Would explain all of it IMO, from the break to the fire. 

I say find another L20B and get her going with another reliable motor  :thumbup:

Find another L series motor. Complete. The head on this one may be compromised if there was an oiling problem. Manifolds, alt, water pump, dizzy should be fine and could be swapped onto a long block. An L20B would be a nice up grade.

Did you check the oil level yet?