My First Datsun Resto - 1972 521

4perrev

Well, I'm sitting in Japan right now and looking for some cool stuff, but can't seem to find the goods. There are a hundred skylines around, but can't get those back in my bag! Wish there was a Japanese Craigslist!

• Like 2
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Finally returned from my trip. Had a friend pass away and had to go down to Cali for a bit. Upon my return, I wanted to get back into the truck. So, I decided to put the L16 back in and wait until the L20 was complete and rebuilt. The 16 wasn't hard to get out because the Xmission was already out, but when I put it back in with the Xmission attached....Well it was a little bit harder. Had to do some wedging and floor jack creativity. None the less, she'e back in and running. Here's the fun:

photo4_zps0c67d5cb.jpg

photo-2_zps3f22795b.jpg

photo-3_zpsf01842d4.jpg

And a video, if it works:

th_IMG_0570_zpsff5e29ca.jpg

• Like 4

So I put the truck on the classifieds for Ratsun. I'm going to start a 510 build (if the truck sells). Not that I don't love the truck and have had fun rebuilding her, I just think that I would like a 510 more. Got it listed for 3K OBO. Wasn't sure how much I should list it for, so I just started at 3 with the or best offer. Too much?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Relisted the truck and added the set of mag wheels.  It has been great fun learning about the truck and building her, but I have bought a 510 and need to concentrate my time towards the car. Would really love to see the truck go to a good home. She's almost done and is in great shape. The frame will almost never rust again!! Thanks for all the help from everybody who commented and helped me out.

• Like 2

I think it will be hard to sell a truck that's in pieces. GLWS.

Did you start a 510 thread?

I have not started a 510 build thread yet, but will soon. I slow on the build for a little while due to work, but will get her going quick when it slows down.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I would keep her big, but I'm moving on to a 510 project that is going to take all of my space. I think she's going to go to a good home.

Just trying to save one dat at a time though!

• Like 1

Well, the deal feel through and I still have her for now. Did pickup (no pun intended here) a 2 door 510 that needs my attention. Finally got one because I thought they were all gone! Quest complete, now it's on to the fab and building.

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

Ok, I gotta order some goods and get her on the road. Been away for a little while and now I have to get her moving. Just trying to share time between her and the 510 now. So many projects and so little time!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright boys and girls. Ordered a new set of wheel brake cylinders (front and rear). Gotta put the steering column & wheel in, install the gas tank and hook up the clutch slave cylinder. After that, the only thing left is a windshield, but that will come eventually. Oh yeah, tires for mags and she'll be right as rain!! Progress is coming!!

• Like 1

Look what the Rock Auto stork dropped off today!!! 

photo1_zps773ffbbb.jpg

It's just about time for my little lady to start running and move me around for a change! Here she is out of storage:

photo2_zpsa82bba5f.jpg

• Like 1

Look what the Rock Auto stork dropped off today!!! 

photo1_zps773ffbbb.jpg

It's just about time for my little lady to start running and move me around for a change! Here she is out of storage:

photo2_zpsa82bba5f.jpg

Have u installed the rear cylinders yet? I ordered some rear ones a while back and the old Y adapter didn't fit the new ones. Let me know how it goes cause in am badly in need if some new rear wheel cylinders. What brand did you get?

• Like 1

You might be able to get rear wheel cylinders from Nissan.  The price is higher, but the quality is very good, and includes the "Y" adapter, and bolt.

I believe 521, and 620 rear wheel cylinders will bolt on to both 521, and 620 backing plates.  However 521 wheel cylinders have SAE threads, and 620 wheel cylinders have metric threads.  

• Like 1