My First Datsun Resto - 1972 521

4perrev

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so here it goes. I tried to install the rear cylinders, but the original ones had bleeders built into them and the new ones did not. The other thing was that the brake line port surrounding was too big to fit the original hole and the screws were different than the originals as well. So what I ordered was: Dorman Part# W37210 from Rock Auto. These will not work, as I found out. The front cylinders were Doram Part# W37209 and they worked perfectly. For the rear, I removed them and use air pressure to push the pistons out. Once they were out, I cleaned the entire assembly and the original oil seals were completely perfect. So, I put them back in, bled them and they work as advertised!

The brake lines worked fine for the front as well as the clutch slave cylinder. Although, I found out that my clutch master cylinder is probably toasted. Off for more parts. 

Today I did find these little jewels so I can install my mag wheels and not worry about finding the right nuts. Autozone!!

vr8IXX3.jpg

Tomorrow, the steering column, gas tank and tail lights go on. After that, just waiting on tires, clutch master and registration. All most there!!!

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 2

No problem. Mine were stuck, so I push air from a compressor in the fluid port. Pushed the plungers right out. Make sure you wrap the whole assembly in a rag before you do it or you may dent something or loose em! 

Got a clutch master cylinder on order. Steering shaft & wheel are back in. Tailgate on and gas tank back in. She ran off her own tank today for the first time since I bought her. Runs great! Getting excited to get her on the road. Things left to do:

1) Get tires.

2) Install clutch master.

3) Install all marker lights and tail lights.

4) Install Weber carb.

After that, she'll need some paint, but that may be down the road!

• Like 2

Banzai, thanks for the tip. I'll have to look him up when I get down to working the 510.

On another note, I received my new clutch master cylinder and installed it. After 1 3/4 years of building, she is alive! I actually drove her today around the block. Smiles from ear to ear between my wife and I. Now all I need is tires for my mags and we;ll be off and running.

I picked up some new seatbelts out of a 2000 Dodge ram. They were the rear seatbelts out of a quad cab. Kept all the bolts from the Dodge and they fit perfectly in the Datsun. It's late in the day, but I will post pictures of the belts in the next couple days. Oh, they were $10 bucks!!

• Like 2

Got down and installed the seatbelts today. Here's the goods:

4t7tr78.jpg

photo2_zps544e5ca7.jpg

XfWfSco.jpg

WY3HYgZ.jpg

Had to extend the belt buckles to reach beyond the seat. Used a high powered sewing machine and nylon thread to bring them together. Much better than the original belts, plus they have the reels in them.

Installed the rear tail light assemblies and all the lights work, but the license plate and reverse lights. Figured the plate light was just corroded, so I'll hopefully get it out tomorrow. As for the reverse lights, I wasn't running the truck, so maybe they'll work once I have it started. If not, I guess I'll get into that one also.

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3

Anytime the key is on on a 521, the reverse light switch should have power.   The switch is on the transmission.  If you have a points coil, unplug the ignition coil, if you have the key on, engine off.

Back probe the connectors on the transmission reverse light switch.   Check for power to the switch, in neutral, or any forward gear.  Reverse light switch wires are red, with a black stripe, on both sides of the switch.

If you have power to the switch, put the transmission in reverse, you should have power on BOTH sides of the switch.  The red, with a black stripe wire continues back to the reverse lights.

Here is a 521 wiring diagram.

521wires.jpg

• Like 2

Daniel, Thanks for the write up for the reverse light. I shall look into this after work today! The wiring diagram is top notch also. Will report back with the prognosis!

• Like 1

So I intended to get on the reverse lights, but was redirected to the license plate light. It wasn't working and was really dirty or painted. I got the assembly freed from the ever lasting 40 year old rusted screws. The light bulb was burnt out and rusted into place, but came out with some pliers. The lens cover was had been painted twice over and I just couldn't let it go, for some reason. So, one part drill with buffing wheel, one part polishing compound and one part elbow grease, I got her cleaned. Although, there is still some rust stain on the inside, but it's back by the mount and ok. Here it is:

mcWRX86.jpg

DkCTiF1.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 2

Molasses will remove rust off of steel, and iron.   I would try that first.  I have used the grocery store "Briar Rabbit" mixed about seven parts water, one part molasses.     That mixture should not hurt the plastic lens.

Another option is a phosphoric acid solution, like "metal conditioners", or navel jelly.   Third option, vinegar.

• Like 1

Molasses will remove rust off of steel, and iron.   I would try that first.  I have used the grocery store "Briar Rabbit" mixed about seven parts water, one part molasses.     That mixture should not hurt the plastic lens.

Another option is a phosphoric acid solution, like "metal conditioners", or navel jelly.   Third option, vinegar.

Sweet. I'll get into the vinegar and molasses. Don't know why it bugs me so much to have this lens clear, but I think it's a challenge. I'm doin the reverse lights tomorrow for sure!

• Like 1

I didn't paint the inside of the blinkers yet, but I'm going to once I pull them again to paint the truck. For now, I just want to get her driving for a few.

It was raining today so I had to work inside for a change. Got my registration and license plates. The only thing is that looking at the truck, there is no plate holder assembly. What? Oh well, I just had to fab one up. So here's the goods:

Template -

tGuHu8J.jpg

And the finished back -

HGqLFXl.jpg

And finished front - 

NYl7jgC.jpg

Mounting tomorrow!

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 2

Yes it is. The reason for the bow tie or bracket is because the piece that holds the plate is missing some parts so I had to push it back to make it flat. I will post more oics as soon as I mount it to the truck.

• Like 2

So today was national "clean your bed day"! I got down and chassis savered my bed to stop the rest of the rust. Plan to wood out the bed because I don't think there is much metal left to support anything. Here's the two shots:

Before-

pvvkS4M.jpg

After-

akUfK09.jpg

Oh, my baby is finally wearing her own plate!!!

72xRKWK.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3

Yeah, it was nice to keep her. I figured out a way to buy the dime. My wife really loves this truck and even more so now! Driving it after almost two years was quite a treat. Now I'm hooked!

• Like 2

Drove the truck to work today and she runs great. Man, I'm soooooo hooked that I went and bought a new stereo and speakers for the girl. Going to install the stock radio in the slot to keep her original, but hide the new one in the glovebox. I built some boxes for the rear and covered them in vinyl to keep them black a pretty. The fronts will have to be molded in fiberglass and attached to the kick panels. Just didn't want to cut holes in the door panels. Here's the rears:

9HJ0N9O.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 2

More progress on the inside going on. Had a pretty good couple days to work on her. So I wanted to do front speakers on the kick panels, but wasn't sure if I could do it since I've not really worked with fiberglass before. So, I just jumped in and did it. Here's how it went:

Step 1. Use something round?

i4V09SE.jpg

Step 2. Cover round object to be able to reuse again.

7PWVxZH.jpg

Step 3. Cover with fiberglass matt and staple to a board.

cQJFJF8.jpg

Step 4. Apply resin and let dry.

b9BCcgY.jpg

Here it is all dried and placed on the new kick panel cutout.

lXPR2Ij.jpg

After it was all mocked up and attached to the board, I covered it with vinyl and installed the speaker. It's a 4 inch speaker to give you a size idea.

yc7qcEj.jpg

Here it is installed in the truck:

e98vQn4.jpg?1

I used the same material on the door panel and did a touch of embroidery.

IWvZ2ZR.jpg

And placed the radio in the glovebox to keep the stock look.

sMTC5V5.jpg

Lastly, I finally put the Weber on. Holysh!t that thing is so much better and I love it even more!!!!

photo2_zps1833f4a2.jpg

Let me know you think?

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3