My First Datsun Resto - 1972 521

4perrev

My wife keeps telling me that the truck looks like a 4 x 4 because the bed is so tall. So, I got down and put 2 inch blocks in the rear and leveled her out. Not too bad, but I did take a good calf drag on the leaf breaking a bolt free. Ah, it was worth it!!

9vhyJhh.jpg

zyIs1H5.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks tanker!! I would drop it more, but I'm running 14 inch rims and just bought new tires, so I have to wear them out first. It is my daily commuter now also and she gets upwards of 28 MPG with the Weber.

• Like 1

I gotta have one Datsun to get good gas milage because the Dime will not be anywhere close once I build the L20 with dual Webers! But she's going to be weekender and sunny days.

• Like 1

Got down to finally fix those damn visors that keep falling down while I drive. Nothing special, but here's the quick down and dirty:

Old:

6Tj5Yp5.jpg

Gutted:

KIPnCpn.jpg

Finished:

80CsY3h.jpg

And hanging. I pushed them sideways and back because it's different and they stay out of sight:

photo5_zps43d3f593.jpg

Oh, just a funny picture from work today:

cv_zps78b07214.jpg

Gotta love the little guys!!

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3

The screw, close to where the rod goes into the visor, usually can be tightened, and that adjusts the tension of the visor.  Then it will not flop down.

When I was working, there was a old jacked up chevy four wheel drive truck that sometimes parked close to my Datsun.  My Datsun had a 2" exhaust system with a turbo muffler.  It was not really loud, but it made some noise.

when I started my Datsun, the alarm in the chevy truck would sometimes go off, like it was scared, or something.

RatJumpFord_zpsb04f17c3.jpg

Ratsun jump starting that big Ford diesel pickup.

• Like 2

I did adjust the screw and it works pretty good. I just kind of like the look of folded to the side to be different! That's awesome to see Ratsun jumpin the big diesel! These little trucks are so freakin fun everywhere I go.

• Like 1

So I've been on the fence about putting a number plate or old school type sign on the door. The problem was, how to make it look old as it has been on there for years. I was going to use Al's Auto Body or something, but decided to go with my own logo. This is what's on my business card. I used spray paint for most of the colors because it looks older from the get go. Also used sand paper to scratch it up a bit prior to painting which also gave an old look. Then I used some thinner to kind of wash it down a touch. Here's the logo up close:

Qxb3JPM.jpg

And from a distance:

dvEQgMb.jpg

Let me know what you guys think??

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Well it's been some time since I updated the site. Ordered a new front windshield which should be here next week. Coming from Pinkermans...$600 bucks, but what can I do, I gots to drive my truck!! Did some painting on the tailgate to bring those letters out. Gave it a nice old look!!

DTail_zps0e5d25e6.jpg

• Like 3

Well the day finally came....New windshield is installed. Damn that thing was not cheap, but it's worth it because I can drive legally now. It is so frickin clear that I was waiting to feel the wind through the glass!! Glass is from Pinkerton. Here she is:

WMskJfa.jpg

TzNvQRw.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 5
  • 3 months later...

Hey all,

Thinking (again) of selling the 521 to put money into the 510. Anybody give me an idea of what she's worth? Without going through the whole thread, here's a quick rundown:

Brand new windshield

New tire on mags

Weber 32/36 carb

Body off resto. Complete frame coated with Chassis Saver.

New floor boards installed and both cab and bed coated with Chassis Saver.

New cab bolts and washers (6)

New carpet

Dodge Dakota seat belts

New front brake cylinders and brake booster with all new brake lines.

Complete clean and repaint of the heater unit.

Wiring harness gone through and wrapped.

Updated plastic fuses with Nissan Sentra fuse box.

Gas tank completely redone and painted.

New clutch and flywheel turned.

Recent valve adjustment and timed.

Trying to feel the waters to see if it's worth it to sell. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

I'm sure you'll hwar this a lot, but DON'T DO IT!! Lol you will regret it. Just save up for the 510.

But since you're asking, I'd say about $3k. These trucks still don't bring in 510 money. You could ask for more but might take a while. Just my 2¢

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. Took me a while to get back. I plan to do some more good paint stuff, but I gotta wait until Washington decides to dry out and warm up. My wife wants me to put in buckets so we have head rests in case of a rear end. I do like the bench better, but safety is important, not that the truck would survive a crash with anything else on the road, except............maybe another Datsun.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Spring is here, so I thought I'd take some pictures of ol' blue. Fitting here with the Japanese cherry blosum tree:

hIbY4jP.jpg

kcmxNsQ.jpg

qyOfxGa.jpg

And one with my eye on you!!

2zUj8uL.jpg

She still runs like a champ and I drive her everyday. Love this little girl! Still working on the big sister 510.

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 6

That's so true!! I gave little blue so blue seats. My wife said the bench was too dangerous because it doesn't have a head rest, so I put in some with head rests. It's definitely more comfortable as I don't slide around anymore and these have better springs in the bottom. Not to mention, the sound rolls out better from the speakers behind the seats now.

IMG_0982_zpscqbjkto4.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

So, I woke up today to some F&^k-ass who decided that smashing in my window was a good thing. There was nothing missing and or moved inside the cab. Don't get it, but let's just say, I might spend a night or two on the roof with an AR-15!! :ph34r: 

Anyways, I went and got a new side window. Damm, those things are a pain to swap. But thanks to Daniel C's post in the back issues, I was able to get it completed rather fast. Well, here's the carnage:

• Like 3

What's up with the recent vandalism of datsun's? Saw on the face someone's dime got hit up with BB gun. Fucking people are asaholes!! Sorry to see this happen to you. Gla it was an "easy" fix.

• Like 2

Looks good glad you got it fixed and load some hot loads in the AR15..lol

Yeah...Snipin' all day for some punk-a$$ MR'ers!!!!

I have completely shut off all datsun "rumors" , and u proved one......one rrumor said it was impossible to replace that window, and that your better off getting a whole new door

I wouldn't say it was completely easy, but the motivation to make my baby back to right was all I needed!

What's up with the recent vandalism of datsun's? Saw on the face someone's dime got hit up with BB gun. Fucking people are asaholes!! Sorry to see this happen to you. Gla it was an "easy" fix.

I think it's all the jealous Honda fools....Kids and all who just don't appreciate all the good work it takes to find parts, rebuild and keep em running. Kids these days. Can't spank em, can't slap em, can't educate em, but we sure as hell can take their f&^king Xboxs away!!!!

Thanks you guys for the kind words. It just solidifies that we are a good group and help each other out. You guys rock!! :thumbup:  :thumbup:

• Like 1