My First Datsun Resto - 1972 521

4perrev

So I finally got down to fabricating the brake pedal extension. Took a little welding and grinding, but got it done:

photo-2_zps8caf04d3.jpg

So now the pedals are all back in:

photo-1_zps24ea6e91.jpg

Lastly, bought some wire wrap to clean up the rats nest in there. It's mostly done and awaiting a new fuse box:

photo-3_zpsd4807801.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got some major work done these last couple days. Put carpet in that I got from Homedepot. Not too bad on price either! Here is the floor at the door jam:

RMCDyRK.jpg

Finished up the wiring inside and pre-wired for a radio when I get one. And finally, got the dash pad back in. Did install the dash, but it was too dark to take anymore pictures, so I will tomorrow. Here's the goods:

tOxiFo4.jpg

9kneuqD.jpg

Nrg4A0G.jpg

E1VWslv.jpg

And of course the heater box:

MzXAbZT.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3

Raining like crazy today, so I got in to the new fusebox.  Had to pull the bus bars out and rearrange some connections.  All the leads are setup to install it.  I'm going to pull it out of the engine bay and put it inside the cab.  Cleans up the bay a bit and keeps the whole component dry.  Also going to modern fuses to get ride of the old glass tubes.

ZVvsfMn.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3

Got down to finishing most of the wiring. Had to do some tagging and fusebox fabrication.  The Nissan fusebox I pulled had a bus bar inside, but was to long for my purposes, so I used part of the one I pulled out.  Had to make the 4 grounds and the 2 for the ignition.  The I had to tag each wire to make sure they all ended up in the right spot.  Anyways, it turned out good and is now in the cab and out of the elements.  Here's where it used to be:

uoLBNEx.jpg

And here is where it is now:

Sas6Pbb.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3

That reminds me i might be going with a racepak instrument cluster so i will be removing mine.

If you do anymore to that truck, you'll have to sell it only at Barret Jackson!!

I followed the thread that VintageRice did. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/44903-diy-sound-deadening-and-carpet-ratsun-style/

kinda looks like the same stuff, your looks more gray though.

Thanks for the link. That gives me idea for the firewall.

• Like 1

It's all coming together perfect. Got the final pieces in dash. Painted the inside of the glovebox because it was ugly, cheesey cardboard:

photo-2_zps8e5d1346.jpg

Hooked up the heater tubes. Wish they were black, but didn't want to paint them. Might have to look into some plastic ones for the future:

photo-3_zps290bfd8e.jpg

Also thought I didn't have the ash tray, but found it under a box of parts in the garage:

photo-4_zps5c2d00cb.jpg

And of course, the instrument cluster. All shinny and stuff:

photo-1_zpsf1e25e26.jpg

Next things to do are the kick panels and then the door panels. Already bought the vinyl and backer board. Just have to figure out a design for the doors.

• Like 1

So I had to put the seat in today to see how it would look. The wife and I sat in it with the doors closed just to see how it would be while driving. Man, I can't wait to get her running. Put the console in that I pulled from an old 620 that I got from a junkyard. Tell me what you think?

Here's the seat:

photo-7_zps0d16bed6.jpg

And here's the console:

2r2tYDi.jpg?1

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3

I'm guessin', if you waited till Saturday, primetime and had 2 cocktail dress hotties on stage with a build sheet, eye of the tiger playing in the background and put LEDs in the front grill............you'd probably pull................50K. Remember, 10% goes back to Barret Jackson on your part and 8% on the sellers part!!

• Like 2

Thanks. It's not to hard, but you do have to tear it all out to do her right. Dash pad would be easy if you wanted to do it. I left mine original because there was only a couple minor dinks.

• Like 1

Got into some brakes today. Took a minute to pull the drums off, because they were a little rusted to the hubs, but they did eventually come off. Here's the before drum:

F41aCM8.jpg

And the shoes:

YboJzar.jpg

After bleeding out the lines, I found that the passengers side cylinder was leaking, so I'll have to get new ones. These are only the rear brakes for now. I'll get into the front later.

Here's the rear drum after a blast and new paint:

BzZY36C.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 2

Sh!t I'd love to, but I'm trying to do the low budget build. Just to see how low a price I can go to make her safe and running. Then, I will bring out the guns to make her nice.

• Like 1