Seat ideas  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Seat 1
    • Seat 2
    • Seat 3
    • Seat 4
    • Seat 5

I need to get the seat redone.  It's desperate for some spring repair, new foam, and getting rid of the duct-tape-having twill bottom cover.  I've got colors figured out-- one called "leaf," which is a spot-on match for the truck color, and "slate" which is a perfect match for the dash sheetmetal.  What I'm trying to figure out now is the design.  Look at the designs below and let me know which one(s) you like AND WHY.  As plants... there's one I absolutely hate, and one that I already own in another vehicle.  The rest were just snagged off the intarwebs.  Disregard the color of the examples since those aren't relevant, and just comment on the designs, please.

The first one... single insert separated by piping.

seat001.jpg

Second one... individual inserts with "horseshoe cuts" (I won't be using tweed).

seat002.jpg

Third... more traditional 1950's style...

seat003.jpg

Fourth... this one has the waterfall inserts rolling over the top.

seat004.JPG

Fifth... this one is single color facings with darker color sides, and is similar to #4 with the top-to-bottom waterfall insert part, but this one stops before it rolls over the top of the seat.

seat005.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Number one is definitely the best looking. And whenever I get the money... I am stealing that style, but with different colors. Probably brown (to match dash) vinyl around the outside, black tweed cloth inside, and gold or silver piping.

So, ASSuming #1 (I've had that pic for years... because I like it so much), where to put the leaf green?  On the insert or on the surround?  I think it would look better on the insert, but it seems like having a dark color on the insert would be better for wear/stains/whatever.  Thoughts?

Here's the leaf green swatch--

OLY305.jpg

Here's the slate swatch--

oly120.jpg

I would put the green on the border, as that is how the door card is, green at the top, gray in the middle, and green at the bottom.

I actually don't like the colors at all, but it's not something I have to look at everyday, but that's just me.

Personally I would see if you can locate an original seat photo of that color truck, and copy that.

I would put the green on the border, as that is how the door card is, green at the top, gray in the middle, and green at the bottom.

I actually don't like the colors at all, but it's not something I have to look at everyday, but that's just me.

Personally I would see if you can locate an original seat photo of that color truck, and copy that.

Understood. The leaf color is mildly emetic, but there's something oddly likable about it for me.  I am not trying to emulate stock-- I believe I have the original seat cover now, which is a monochrome textureless medium green that doesn't match or coordinate or blend with anything :bye: . I have looked quite a bit for pictures but found very little... mostly buckets people have added.  As for colors, the leaf green is a dead-on match for the steel throughout the cab (and what the outside once looked like before 45 years of sun and rain).  The slate color I posted is a poor representation of the actual material (I picked both from actual swatches, not jpgs on a monitor). It is a very close match to the steel dash on the truck... which I ASSume is the original color.  I will be doing new door cards to coordinate, so color placement need not be dictated by the current door cards. 

Here's another website's version of the slate.  It isn't very accurate either, and they're calling it "graphite."  I will re-check the swatches at the upholstery shop to make sure I'm getting what I think I'm getting.

dt_Graphite-OLY205W-2961.jpg

The piping in #1 is an issue. It looks good, but isn't practical. Having worked in an upholstery shop some years ago, I can tell you this is not advised. First, that piping will wear much faster than the rest of the seat (especially if the truck is a DD). Second, if your upholsterer isn't at the very top of his class, that seam (across any seating surfaces) can pucker and twist during temp. changes in the cab. And third, That piping always ends up "digging in" on parts of your body on longer drives and while stuck in rush-hour traffic.

If you go with that style, put a french seam there. (Its that same double stitch seen in the upper corners of that same seat.) Its more durable, and more comfortable.

That being said, I prefer #'s 2 and 3. Always liked the timeless 50's style, and #2 looks like a late 60's Chevy muscle car seat. (I may be a bit partial though... Got a '69 Nova w/ bench seat sitting in the driveway.)

Here is another datsun design, I don't like this one as much.

DSCN0542.JPG

That's the same style as #4 in my OP, and as I mentioned there, there's one I absolutely hate... it's #4.  I don't like the seat inserts rolling over the top of the seat.  It doesn't make sense... looks like a bad boat seat or something.  

The piping in #1 is an issue. It looks good, but isn't practical. Having worked in an upholstery shop some years ago, I can tell you this is not advised. First, that piping will wear much faster than the rest of the seat (especially if the truck is a DD). Second, if your upholsterer isn't at the very top of his class, that seam (across any seating surfaces) can pucker and twist during temp. changes in the cab. And third, That piping always ends up "digging in" on parts of your body on longer drives and while stuck in rush-hour traffic.

If you go with that style, put a french seam there. (Its that same double stitch seen in the upper corners of that same seat.) Its more durable, and more comfortable.

That being said, I prefer #'s 2 and 3. Always liked the timeless 50's style, and #2 looks like a late 60's Chevy muscle car seat. (I may be a bit partial though... Got a '69 Nova w/ bench seat sitting in the driveway.)

All good points.  I'll make sure to address these with the upholstery shop.  They did a seat in one of my other hoopties (seat #5 in my OP), and I think they did great work... and they are extremely friendly, communicate proactively, and actually hit their promise date!  Wowza!  

I don't need the 3rd color piping, and I certainly don't need a line on the back of my thighs  :blush: , so I'll ask them about a French seam to make the transition... maybe stitch it with the "opposite" color (light on dark, or vice versa) to give it some visual appeal (??).  

As much as I really like #1 as a general design (as I mentioned earlier, I've had this picture for years, and every time I'm doing a seat, this one calls my name), I am leaning toward #2 or #3.  You're right on #2, that's straight out of 1967-1972 ear GM (that particular seat is stock Chevy C-10, actually).  And I really like the simplicity of #3, but I keep waffling about it looking out of place period-wise... it's VERY 1950's.  I'm not trying to do a strict period restoration... but I do want things to look cohesive.  Decisions, decisions.  Stay tuned.  I'm scheduled to drop the truck off on the 18th.  I guess I have to figure out the plan before then.

Seat goes to the shop on Monday.  I'm really leaning toward the 1950's styled one immediately above because it has more "texture" than the OEM seat like wayno posted.  I still have to decide which way to run the colors-- green on the insert, slate on the trim, or vice versa.

Seat goes to the shop on Monday.  I'm really leaning toward the 1950's styled one immediately above because it has more "texture" than the OEM seat like wayno posted.  I still have to decide which way to run the colors-- green on the insert, slate on the trim, or vice versa.

Does it really matter what color it is, the fact is when I got the seat done, I immediately covered it with a seat cover to keep it nice, then forgot to take the cover off at the first canby meet as my car, the upholstery guy complained about that right away.  :lol:

But maybe you will want to see the seat.  :huh:  :)  :D  :lol:

• Like 1
Does it really matter what color it is, the fact is when I got the seat done, I immediately covered it with a seat cover to keep it nice, then forgot to take the cover off at the first canby meet as my car, the upholstery guy complained about that right away.  :lol:

But maybe you will want to see the seat.  :huh:  :)  :D  :lol:

Funny... it's kind of like car bras-- they protect the paint... so the next owner can appreciate the paint job ;)

What's the seat belt situation on your truck? 

I assume they are stock-- black web belts, 3 across.  I plan to remove the center belt when the seat comes out for upholstery work.  There is NO WAY a 3rd person is sitting in this cab!  Near term, I'm thinking about hunting down some more modern belts... the ones that are on semi-rigid stalks, to swap in.  The driver's side web belt buckle side flops out the door sill every time I get out.  If I go to the stalk type, it'll just be in the right place all the time.  Any suggestions on what to snag this type of belt out of?  Newer Nissan trucks maybe?

Seat is out, floor is cleaned up, and ready to receive fresh seat when it's done in a few days.  I'll drop it off at the shop tomorrow.  

Anyone have suggestions on what to snag some stalk-type seatbelts from that will work in this thing?  I want to replace the web belts because they flop out the door every time I get out.  My memory is hazy, but I'm pretty sure Nissan used stalk type belts in later year pickups... maybe 80's and up ???

Seat is done.  I'm usually very good with colors... but I'm going to have to "live with it" a bit to decide if I like it.  The "slate" isn't very "slatey" ... and I'm wondering if they actually used the wrong material (I'll check the sample book in a few days when I get a chance).  

seat01.jpg

seat02.jpg

seat03.jpg

seat04.jpg