Seat ideas  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Seat 1
    • Seat 2
    • Seat 3
    • Seat 4
    • Seat 5

Anyone have suggestions on what to snag some stalk-type seatbelts from that will work in this thing?  I want to replace the web belts because they flop out the door every time I get out.  My memory is hazy, but I'm pretty sure Nissan used stalk type belts in later year pickups... maybe 80's and up ???

Any suggestions here?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seat is done.  I'm usually very good with colors... but I'm going to have to "live with it" a bit to decide if I like it.  The "slate" isn't very "slatey" ... and I'm wondering if they actually used the wrong material (I'll check the sample book in a few days when I get a chance).  

I went to the upholstery shop this morning and confirmed they did use what we wrote down when we picked materials.  However, it's one swatch over from what I _thought_ we were using.  I don't know who made the orginal error, but I did "sign off" on the swatch number he wrote on the estimate, so it's ultimately my responsibility.  He's going to swap out the 'gross gray' with the slate I wanted for a reasonable charge.  He's also going to fix some issues with the seat... it's very uncomfortable now. When he updated the padding, he put a lot on the top of the back and the frontmost part of the bottom, which creates a clamshell effect on me when I'm sitting in it, which is very uncomfortable.  While he's redoing the color issue, he's going to adjust where the padding is to make it more comfortable... I hope (because the stock seat was reasonably comfortable before I went down this path :( ).

My upholster gave me a estimate for complete rebuild of my seat with the stye of

The 311 picture on this post. I refer alot of work his way so i hopping im getting a

"Good deal" 400.00 hows that compare? I know his work is great. Hes so busy

it will take a month or maybe more. Price seem fair. I guess great things

have great value.he said he would redo my junk yard visors for a kicker.

I would like to see your seat when done.thanks

My upholster gave me a estimate for complete rebuild of my seat with the stye of

The 311 picture on this post. I refer alot of work his way so i hopping im getting a

"Good deal" 400.00 hows that compare? I know his work is great. Hes so busy

it will take a month or maybe more.

I've redone seats (and interiors) on probably 2 dozen cars in my life.  Based on my experiences, $400 is an insanely good deal... ASSuming the guy does quality work, and will actually get it done (instead of it sitting in his shop for month after month until you have to go get your seat and start shopping for another place to do the work... like you read about all too often).  I paid a very fair price for the work done on this Datsun seat, and it was MUCH MORE than $400.  So... good luck with it.  If you get what you want in a timely manner, you got a smokin' good price.

I dropped off the seat this morning, and confirmed he has the correct "slate" material.  He's also going to correct the padding issues by thinning the top of the seat back and potentially thickening the bottom of the seatback, if needed, to fix the comfort issue of the seat trying to fold me up when i sit in it.  Should be done tomorrow afternoon.  Yay.

I just picked up the seat re-rework.  It is MUCH better!  The dark color is now correct, and matches the top of the dash very well.  And it is more comfortable.  He removed padding on the top of the seat and made it thinner across the top, and added some padding in the small of the back.  He also did a slight trim on the sides of the bottom because they were hitting the doors slightly, leaving a mark in the door panels.  They now just touch, and don't leave a mark when you open the door back up.

seat05.jpg

seat06.jpg

seat07.jpg

seat08.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Seat is out, floor is cleaned up, and ready to receive fresh seat when it's done in a few days.  I'll drop it off at the shop tomorrow.  

Anyone have suggestions on what to snag some stalk-type seatbelts from that will work in this thing?  I want to replace the web belts because they flop out the door every time I get out.  My memory is hazy, but I'm pretty sure Nissan used stalk type belts in later year pickups... maybe 80's and up ???

I don't know if you've found anything yet, but these belts are pretty close to stock, and come with the stiff sleeve. but you'll have to use some sort of "U" bracket to get them to sit in the proper position.  Or these retractable latch-release ones.

• Like 1

I don't know if you've found anything yet, but these belts are pretty close to stock, and come with the stiff sleeve. but you'll have to use some sort of "U" bracket to get them to sit in the proper position.  Or these retractable latch-release ones.

Thanks.  I spoke with Steve at Seatbelt Planet a coupe of days ago.  He suggested something similar to your second link... a small retractor that would sit at the corner of the seat.  And then on the receiver side, a stalk mount that pokes up through the seat and just rests there.  He's sending a few color swatch samples for the webbing.  When I get those, I'll probably move forward with a solution.

I have been working with Steve at seatbeltplanet.com.  We just finalized my order, which should be here next week.  I'm doing their end release cable style lap belts.  I'm doing a 14" memory cable with latch for the inboard side, and their 7" retractor for the outboard side... with the roll-up reversed so I can turn the retractors backwards and tuck the lump under the seats (this will make more sense after I install them and can post pictures of the finished product).  Steve sent a few swatches last week, and I am going with their Charcoal #69, which is a very good match to the slate of the seat (and soon, door panels).  I was originally wanting to match the green so the belts wouldn't look like "stripes" when laying on the seat but 1) that's a tough color to match, and 2) with the retractor and cable end, they won't actually be laying across the seat unless they're wrapped around my waist while I'm driving.

Here's the retractor and cable end style...

HL14146C12_w_Watermark_600x400.jpg

All you'll see on the inboard side is the head of the buckle peeking through the crack of the seat.  On the outboard side, the retractor will sit in the corner of the cab, near the pillar anchor, with just the sleeve part sticking up about even with the crack of the seat.  This style retractor is NOT an intertia style-- it uses positive locking, so it can be mounted at an angle without issues (unlike inertia style retractors, which will hang up if they're not perfectly vertical).  

Here's the webbing swatch color (again, not terribly accurate on a monitor, but actual swatch is a great match for the slate I used on the seat)...

67.jpg

• 2 months later...