Home Automotive Painting Equipment?

Kirden

I don't want to start a new thread for this. so what paint stripper do you guys use? I picked up some stuff from the local hardware store but I'm not really sure about it. It is Jasco Spray on stripper

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=102&prodid=214

I am looking to strip some rims and eventually most of the panels on my 620. Hope this stuff works :P

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gonna start on my rims Sunday afternoon, but I didn't pick up a new respirator. The rims will be on hold till I can get the respirator and some steel wool. I also have to build/buy some saw horses to make working on the hood and cowl easier. Might go ahead and buy a full paint suit with the full mask since I have a lot of stripping and paint to do. I have a feeling that would be the safest route with this being my first major paint project.

I have used Jasco as well as the Aircraft Stripper and both work equally well. Nice thing about the aircraft stuff is you can get an aerosol. Wear your PPE this stuff will eat skin and eyeballs.

+1 on both points.  I keep some lacquer thinner around when chemically stripping paint.  It neutralizes the stuff if you get it on your skin, and I generally wipe down the panel with it afterwards.  If you don't wipe it down after and start sanding the panel with a d.a. sander, you will be flinging the excess stripper around. 

Not that I would have any firsthand experience or anything..  :)

• Like 1

FYI, I see you mentioned using Duplicolor primer, and I would seriously recommend avoiding that. It's cheap, but stupid crappy stuff. 

Go to AZ, and you'll find a gallon of high build Rustoleum primer for $50 that's got a 1/1 mix ratio. Very nice high build stuff that's durable and sands out very find.

Just keep in mind unless you use a good Epoxy sealed primer, it's porous and will hold water aka rust. I learned that the hard way ;)