Snacks howl too

jrock4224

So I lowered the 521 some more this weekend... Well I had been noticing off throttle humm or droan..... Well once I dropped the rear two inches its gone from a hmmmmm...... To a howl and full on backed over a bear paw howl..... A little info, the noise is quiet at under 40 but once I hit forty, if I push the clutch in or have next to no throttle input it sounds terrible and gets louder the faster the speed is...... When it does it when the throttle is applied I'm talkin it only does it when u barely are in the gas..... Anything over 1/8 throttle or completely out f the throttle the truck is quiet but if I touch the gas it's loud ..... At 70 mph it's incredibly loud.....basically I use compression coming off the highway to avoid coasting which results in the noise .....

At first I was like fuck, throw out bearing, fawk, but then I was like.... I just replaced it with the 5sp... Which my luck with new parts doesn't mean much, Lol. Then I figured since at highway speeds if I push the clutch in the noise persists whether the clutch is in or out with the tranny in neutral.... The noise is also speed sensitive..... Starts at 40 as bareable then at 75 makes u feel like u should expect schrapnel at any moment....and lastly the noise is also prevelant at 1/16 to 1/8 throttle ...

History of the noise..... Non existent till about a month ago I notoiced a much quieter version of the part throttle noise.....while running 521 springs and 4 inch blocks...... 2/1/013 added 720 4x4 leafs with 4 inch blocks noise got amplified 100 fold and picked up a neutral at speed noise that's 1000 fold louder...... Had spaces the carrier with stock leafs but didn't change anything driveline related since adding the 720 springs....... Matter of fact other then spacing it up when I originally lowered the truck I have done no service to the driveline and or carrier bearing.... It's OG since I owned an put the truck together.... Truck stills drives fine, just noisy as fuck under described circumstances......

Hopefully I explained the condition clearly enough..... Tired.... 3 am..... Pounding Draker headache keeping me up...

So what are some opinions ......I don't wanna replace the throwut of possible plus I don't think it is is that

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No but I will add that to the list pretty sure when I had it apart last it was sliding but car say for sure.....pretty sure my 720 transmission out put matchs a 620 front drive shaft, so I'm thinking about building a one piece for the truck just not wanting to spend 200 bux to cut that 620 shaft down to make a single...... Did u end up pulling t apart to fix it or just building the one piece u have now...... Building a one piece also make me nervous since your rubbed the cab

Hopefully I explained the condition clearly enough..... Tired.... 3 am..... Pounding Draker headache keeping me up...

Sorry to hear that man.. I guess they come in waves?

It's gotta be the drive shaft.. maybe lube the slip joint like Phixius said

u-joints? also maybe clutch release bearing? in my experience howl sounds are usually bearing related and hums are u-joints. I think even with a new carrier bearing if the angle is too extreme it puts a lot of stress on the bearing causing it to make noise.

lowered the front ......shimmed the carrier more .......no road test yet, hopefully i will at least notice a difference .....carrier is kinda rough ... prolly just build a one piece with new joints instead of investing in a new carrier and joints for the stock unit.....i just hope its not the throw out .....to me it seems drive shaft related

94A7512D-CF39-40E1-9040-85ACD0C27AAB-973

well raising the carrier bearing seemed to make a difference ...... its not cured but its better....so by making that change and noticing a difference i can assume that this noise is driveshaft related....

side note figured out the ticking....when u do 720 4x4 leafs and 4 inch block for some reason it causes the ebrake cables to rub on the inner wheel ......need to lengthen the mounts ....which is funny cause when hans and i put his in the got super tight and had to be moved to relieve the pressure ......we were surpised to see mine so loose but never even saw them coming close to the wheels...

also, if you can find one, 520's came with one piece drive shafts. I found one and it bolts right up to my dogleg. not sure what tranny you're running, but if it's the same length as the stock 521 4spd it will work. I have to get mine balanced and prettied up. just been laggin'.

just read you have a 720 trans.

Edited by skyblue521

seriously.......no shit ... well i built a 720 trans from another tranny to make it stock strength like my 5sp....and im using the stock 4sp flange to run my stock 521 drive line....no shit huh.. bananas supposed to have a 520 maybe i will hit him up ... i don't really wanna spend 200 bones shortening/building a drive shaft right now.....

yea i ran it for a while but noticed a vibration at around 40mph which wasn't there with the 2 piece so i took it off. i'm also using the 4spd flange cause the dust shield on the slip yoke that was on the one piece would intefere with the tranny.

IMG_1118.jpg