WTB 1969 Datsun 510 goon.

Shouldn't have ridden of my old wagon, on the hunt for another. I don't want any other year, just 69, or 68, did they make a 68 goon? My budget is $2000 or less. Let me know of what you have or what you know of. Located in Ripon, CA. Thanks.

d17.jpg

My old goon

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Side marker lights are different (narrow) and the instrument cluster is different (rectangle), those are the only differences I can think of but I'm a 1200 guy....looking for a goon.

Side marker lights are different (narrow) and the instrument cluster is different (rectangle), those are the only differences I can think of but I'm a 1200 guy....looking for a goon.

Whole dash is different, actually. Also ignition switch on the dash not the column, slightly different front crossmember, smaller ball joints, different tail lights, rear body emblems in different locations, and the antenna is in a different location (on wiper cowl area).  

Then a '68 has even more differences like the license plate light is in the bumper (not body), opposing wipers, non-removable wiper cowl, different wiper motor/linkage, etc.

Hell yes they make 68 goons!

Not trying to hijack your thread but so you know, here's my 1968 Wagon when I first picked it up (hence the FOR SALE SIGN, but it's not for sale :P)

Some of the differences are: wiper (Suicide), Antenna mast on wiper cowl, Arrowhead style front side markers, 68 only grille/bezels, no rear side markers, no rear license plate lights on hatch (light is on the rear bumper), locking gas cap, unique dash, unique seats (no head rests), Unique valve cover, Unique stock dual SU carburators, Unique air cleaner assembly, Single chamber brake M/C.

STOCK:

a0d0_3.jpg

a1dc_3.jpg

a2cc_3.jpg

a3c9_3.jpg

a516_3.jpg

a5f6_3.jpg

a6c6_3.jpg

a7cf_3.jpg

DSCN4317.jpg

DSCN4320.jpg

DSCN4321.jpg

DSCN4323.jpg

DSCN5388.jpg

DSCN4693.jpg

DSCN4694.jpg

DSCN5376.jpg

DSCN5348.jpg

Some different wheels and finally lowered

IMG_8334.jpg

IMG_8344.jpg

IMG_8338.jpg

• Like 1

And for completeness here's my 1969 Wagon.

Differences are a 1969 only grille (not bezels), Arrowhead style front side markers, Circular rear side markers, Unique dash.

Oh and yes, both the 1968 & 1969 had metal vents on the rear hatch.  :)

6be2696f.jpg
7d996082.jpg
55e3460d.jpg
42c28acf.jpg
1f0a4380.jpg
DSCN7674.jpg
DSCN7673.jpg
DSCN7672.jpg
DSCN7671.jpg
DSCN7668.jpg
DSCN7667.jpg
DSCN7666.jpg
DSCN7665.jpg
DSCN7664.jpg
DSCN7663.jpg
DSCN7662.jpg
DSCN7670.jpg
DSCN7669.jpg
Wait a minuet, USDM 68 510's came with twin SU carbs? I thought they came with a single hitachi...

Maybe not stock but maybe it was an option?  I have an old original brochure for the 1968 510's and it clearly showed a dual su carb set up.  So I assumed but maybe it could have been a dealer option, who knows.

From what I recall, 68 dashes had the heater controls vertical (sliding up and down)and the 69 dash had them horizontal (sliding side to side) (EDIT: or maybe I have it the other way around).  Besides that not much else, but still a difference.  :)

I'm sure I'm confusing the year and the up/down/side-side...but that's the difference in the year's dash design. 

Plus back then Datsun was notorious for using left over bits from the previous model year on the next model year until they used up all the parts, so I'm sure there was some early 69 models sporting 68 dashes (and other parts probably).

Antenna mast on wiper cowl,

'69s had this too. 

Unique stock dual SU carburators, Unique air cleaner assembly, Single chamber brake M/C.

The single circuit master was something sold over the counter by Nissan to allow you to use the SSS air cleaner. None of those bits are "stock", and were not original to the car. All were purchased at a Datsun dealer (or through Datsun Competition Parts) and installed by a previous owner (or possibly by the dealer that sold it, although very unlikely). 

The single circuit master was made for foreign market 1300cc cars that had drum brakes on the front. :thumbup:

Also it is generally considered unsafe by a lot of people because a leak in one wheel means your brakes go away completely. With a dual circuit master you can lose one end of the car while keeping the other. So make sure you keep a good eye out for any leaks.  B)

'69s had this too. 

The single circuit master was something sold over the counter by Nissan to allow you to use the SSS air cleaner. None of those bits are "stock", and were not original to the car. All were purchased at a Datsun dealer (or through Datsun Competition Parts) and installed by a previous owner (or possibly by the dealer that sold it, although very unlikely). 

The single circuit master was made for foreign market 1300cc cars that had drum brakes on the front. :thumbup:

Also it is generally considered unsafe by a lot of people because a leak in one wheel means your brakes go away completely. With a dual circuit master you can lose one end of the car while keeping the other. So make sure you keep a good eye out for any leaks.  B)

Antenna mast: Right, which is why I posted the pics.  I'm not saying my list is comprehensive, just rattling off the key differences.  Pictures are worth 1000 words.

Also the dual SUs and the SSS air filter, again I assumed it was stock since the brochure I have shows these in them, and it's a US brochure so who knows.  My wagon doesn't have front drums...and yes I think we're all aware to keep an eye out for leaks for those single cyclinder setups.  :)

lots of difference on USDM 68 wagons and sedans
in addition to what is already mentioned here, some I will repeat

Not many will care really but here it goes.....

Locking gas cap on wagon

Rear tail light lens (yes, it's different)

windshield washer cap and washer motor

brake check button on gauge cluster (68 only)

no rear side marker on 68

brake proportioning valve (that thing that distributes fluid to all corners of wheels)

throttle linkages

Valve cover

Front timing cover

Water by pass tube

Cowl drain tube

Distributor pedestal and single point

Distributor vacuum line (metal tube)

carburetor has return fuel line

Kick panels

seat belts

front seats (sedan and wagon doesn't have head rest)

Wagon rear seats (not sure on sedans)

horn button

Steering column cover (not sure how many variations, i have 2 different ones)

68 and 69 dash very different from each other

heater control levers

Heater box assembly

Heater valve

Heater core

starter relay

fuse box and wiring harness

rear metal trim around wheel well

front valance

window cranks

door pulls

side mirror (metal and wider)

rear quarter window trim is chrome

automatic transmission (column shift)

I don't remember the rest.....................................

Here's a 68 wagon for sale at the right price :D

photo3_zps380e3595.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.