Sure don't seem to be many even half-decent 620 King Cabs around....

BarryA

Over the last 2 weeks, I've gone to look at almost every 620 KC I could find advertised on the west coast - pretty much all of 'em have needed extensive work to even be reasonably driveable, and some have been one step short of basket cases. Asking prices ranged from $1800 to $750............

• 77, orange 4 spd, a/c, Phoenix AZ - no rust, but fairly severe front end damage long ago, poorly repaired and repainted with a brush. Oil leaks, overheating, part of a/c system missing, every body seal wasted.
  • 79, white a/c, Lynnwood WA - repainted beige, disconnected a/c, extensive rust (both rot and deep surface pitting) bed wasted
  • 77, blue 5 spd, Vancouver WA - orig paint, rust in rockers, theft recovery, non-running, unknown electrical problems
  • 78, white 4 spd, Milwaukie OR - orig paint, rust in rockers & door bottoms, bed wasted, engine compartment a mess, hit on left front corner and badly repaired
  • 78, orange 4 spd, Mollala OR - rust in rockers; orig yellow, bed, l.f. fender, hood, doors & core support replaced (all green) prior to repaint, 5 spd included but not installed. This one had new ball joints, brakes & wheel bearings all around & was probably the best one of the lot)
  • 77, white 4 spd, Salem OR - seller turned a $1000 truck into a $400 truck trying to "remodel" it - installed a used engine, but didn't keep the original 5 speed, ripped out most of the a/c & smog stuff and threw it away, then dumped a heavy coat of cheap white enamel on everything inside and out, including all the door seals, etc.

To be fair, there were also 3 red king cabs in Oregon that I didn't look at, at least one of which appeared to be pretty decent, but I just don't want a red truck....).

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont worry about the one in Grants Pass. I went and look. Didnt find much rust but you will need to replace both doors,both fenders and hood. Lots of bondo. Bed will need work also. 1977 with L20b and auto trans. Had A/C but missing lots of parts. And the guy wants 998 for it.

And the comment about crushing cars. ITs all true. Crushing companies are paying money for junk cars. I have a friend that owns a wrecking yard and a crush operations. He pays up to 150. Metal is big bucks these days.

Larry

Theres one in Grants Pass Oregon on a car lot. Just got a glance at it. Rear of bed is rough. I can look better for ya.

Larry

TOO concerned about the bed if the rest of the truck is decent (there's a green 79 standard cab / short bed at the local Pick & Pull with an excellent bed and tailgate), especially if the price is right.

Bigger issue is the smog stuff - since everything newer than 75 has to be smog dyno'ed every 2 years in CA, having the smog stuff still in place is a biggie. Would also love to find one that's got ac in it, even if it's not hooked up or the underhood stuff is gone........

instead of looking at posted trucks try posting a want ad for one.

with a very nice regular cab short bed somewhere near Monterey CA, and one from a guy locally who tried to tell me I really, REALLY needed to buy his red-brown 720 a/t kc .............

sometimes you just have to buy your time nd kep looking. One day you will find the deal your looking for. Look at Icehouses xcab....just came across it. I have seen deals like that lots of times. And in my opinion if your going to be picky abut color, then it limits your options...best of luck....keep lookin':D

I have a "Red" one 76 I mite want to sell. I also have been trying to aquire a 77 John Deere green one that has a bad head gasket but is very str8 and has original rims with the stockers. PM me if interested.

sometimes you just have to buy your time nd kep looking. One day you will find the deal your looking for. Look at Icehouses xcab....just came across it. I have seen deals like that lots of times. And in my opinion if your going to be picky abut color, then it limits your options...best of luck....keep lookin':D

And sometimes you buy one that is convenient at the time and a very nice one will turn up shortly after that. Buy the nice one now and dump the convenient one. So dont pay too much for the convenient one.

Or maybe the convenient one Has all its smog stuff and a complete A/C system that would convert very nicely into the nice one when you find it.

Jason

to find a prince..............

Hopefully I'm not being TOO picky about color - first choice would be white, but blue, green, yellow or orange are fine too (for some reason, red just doesn't do it for me on 620s, and of course, there seem to be more red ones around than any other color). Main issue as far as cosmetics go is that I really don't want to have to undo old, bad body or paint work, and I'd really rather not take on serious rust repair (with a couple of other project cars and a house with a big yard, I just don't have the time for another major project.....).