Subaru WRX Gas Tank fitted to 510 Tank?

choleaoum

Hey how's it going, I'm not the most saavy on fuel systems and I am finishing up my SR20DET swap on my '73 Datsun 510. Instead of going out and purchasing a gas tank from a s13, I would like to chop up the 2002 WRX gas tank and reuse it.

Anyone here familiar with this or have some insight?

Would it be possible to reuse the fuel pump that comes with the WRX?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I forgot that website even exists. I am unaware why I would need to do it either but I have not gone into depth about the fuel system. I was too preoccupied on getting the crossmember flipped, mounting, and routing the piping. I need to shorten the driveshaft and finish the fuel setup.

Maybe someone can shine some light why people opt for the S13 gas tank.

I want to say Goichi1 on the realm has one prepped and ready to sell. Most of us are using a modified 300zx fuel pump assembly with a walbero 250 high output pump. There is a hi out put and a low out put version available make sure you get the hi output. Surge tanks are a good idea as well depending on your desired use for the car. 

mod your 510 tank with a s13 fuel tank mounting ring and pump assy. also snag the anti sloshing cup. its pretty easy, just cut a hole in the to driver side if the tank and weld in the cup, then the mounting ring. fill up all the tubes on the tank and you are done. if you start running surge tanks and low volume pumps it starts to become complicated plus it introduces more chance of failure. also, dont run a walhbro. go with a dw or aeromotive pump, they are much quiter. you will also need to run a larger fuel line.

Here's a guy wanting to use a 240sx tank. The point is nothing is going to fit but some stuff can be modified to fit. Might be easier to just install a high pressure pump in the 510 tank. I like this idea because it keeps the car stock looking.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=25006

I would purchase one already premade but I don't want to spend 300$+ on a gas tank especially when I have my mig welder available.

I saw that there were complications for running the stock 510 tank, its been awhile since I touched on this subject. But I'm wondering why can't I just use the wrx gas tank flanges and just hook them up from there? I don't see any difference really in the design.

My real question was if anyone is familiar with how the system is and if it would work. Regarding the fuel return, feed, and etc. If it is compatiable with some modifications. I dont want to chop and weld and findout it doesn't work if someone has some familiarity with the gas tank.

No one has any helpful advice? I really don't want to fork out for the S13 tank if I already have a WRX tank.

Update: Look further into the service manual it appears there is a Evaporation line, Return Line, and a Feed Line just like the S13. Sounds like it would work just fine.

Anyone have any objections? I am going to dive into doing it tommarow.

The only thing I need to figure out is the fuel sender unit to get a accurate fuel reading. There is a floater used as the fuel sender, and it sends .5-2.5 ohms at the full position.

if you are dead set on using a WRX tank then why bother asking anyone for advice?  I dont think it has been ever done before.  Can you use the WRX tank, pump, cup, etc...?  Yes, but at what point is your fabrication and time going to out weight doing a conversion that has been done before?  I know I can get a WRX tank integrals into a 510 tank, it might require a little bit a fab work but it can be done.  I just went along a path that was easiest for me to fulfill. 

No one has any helpful advice? I really don't want to fork out for the S13 tank if I already have a WRX tank.

Update: Look further into the service manual it appears there is a Evaporation line, Return Line, and a Feed Line just like the S13. Sounds like it would work just fine.

Anyone have any objections? I am going to dive into doing it tommarow.

The only thing I need to figure out is the fuel sender unit to get a accurate fuel reading. There is a floater used as the fuel sender, and it sends .5-2.5 ohms at the full position.

Datsun senders are 10 or less ohms full and 80 or more ohms empty.

Hey what's up everyone, i recently joined the ratsun family. And i have a 71 510. I'm running the stock fuel tank with the 300z fuel pump.

And i was wondering if any of yoy guys have pics of the S13 fuel tank in a 510?

You see, i have been driving my car for the last year and i have been trying to get a bigger tank but i wasnt sure what kind of thank to use.

I haven't had money to fix my daily driver so I'm driving my 510 for now.

Hey what's up everyone, i recently joined the ratsun family. And i have a 71 510. I'm running the stock fuel tank with the 300z fuel pump. And i was wondering if any of yoy guys have pics of the S13 fuel tank in a 510? You see, i have been driving my car for the last year and i have been trying to get a bigger tank but i wasnt sure what kind of thank to use. I haven't had money to fix my daily driver so I'm driving my 510 for now.

Nobody has put a S13 fuel tank in a 510, they take the S13 pump assy and mounting ring and modify it to fit into a stock 510 tank.  If you need more capacity you are going to either have to make your stock 510 bigger or add an aftermarket fuel cell.