block to head dowels (L20B)

Dawa

im trying to find a part number or source for the dowel pins that align

the block and the head. i've heard that running without them could cause

head gasket misalignment/failure. i didnt remove them when i took them

to the machine shop, had both block & head decked, and in between that im sure

they removed them. i went back last week to see if they had any, they didnt and they pointed me towards the dealer. he also said that i could use the Z dowels.

so yeah, part numbers or solutions, pretty please.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They should be same as L16.  This website is awesome for part numbers.  it looks like you need number 4 part -11053-73400. 

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun510/Datsun510Index/tabid/433/Default.aspx

These should be in stock at the Nissan warehouse and cost about $1.00 to $1.50 each

510_002_1_vga.png

• Like 1
Going to a dealer and telling them you have a 1980 720 with l20b. That will get you the part you need.
They should be same as L16.  This website is awesome for part numbers.  it looks like you need number 4 part -11053-73400. 

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun510/Datsun510Index/tabid/433/Default.aspx

These should be in stock at the Nissan warehouse and cost about $1.00 to $1.50 each

510_002_1_vga.png

awesome, in my google search for "datsun dowel" one result was for that of '80 720, 'block to head dowel' pn 11053-73400. wasnt sure if it was the right/same one, though. so thank you both.

• 7 months later...

Bring back this thread because I thought my dowels were in my baggy of parts but they were not.  So I need two of them.  Tried the pn 11053-73400  but it wants you to order 10 of them.

I seem to remember cutting short length 1/2" copper pipe and using them.

Do you know about how tall they need to be?

Bring back this thread because I thought my dowels were in my baggy of parts but they were not.  So I need two of them.  Tried the pn 11053-73400  but it wants you to order 10 of them.

If you have on line or paper access to that page look carefully at the line just above or below the listed part number.  Often 2 P/Ns are listed, the first for a single unit and the second for the dealer to order bulk for shelf stock.

I may have some laying around, but gotta find em.  How big of a hurry are you in?

• Like 1

11053-73400 about 83cents ea. Used on every 4 and 6 cylinder L, Z and B-210/210 A series

Each site makes you order 10.  Stupid!  I think I am just going to order them threw Napa.

I may have some laying around, but gotta find em.  How big of a hurry are you in?

Not in a crazy hurry but it is the one thing keeping me from finishing my LZ

You may want to pry apart very slightly so they have to be tapped in snug.  Good going. I thought I was going to have to take my own advice but found one on the KA block and another on a Z22 head.

Maybe you should post these pictures and a write up in the How To section. It's little things like this that hold up builds and it's such an elegant and simple fix.

I had a warped head on my L20B  521 back in the '70s. Changed the gasket, it blew, changed it, it blew, swapped a 510 head on while getting the head milled and swapped it back... so 4 gaskets in a month. Got pretty good at swapping gaskets. Didn't know enough back then and lost a dowel