R180 diffs

dennis

Getting ready to drop in an R180 non-lsd unit into my 510.  I have found a few that were not so close to me in OK but the shipping isnt so bad and might order both.  I am looking for something around 4.10 but the JY are not going to give me that info cause that would mean they need to pop the covers and look.

so does anyone know what range the 720 trucks came in?  Also the Maxima wagons? 

I also have a guy locally that has a few but they are in 3.54 and I am wanting some serious acceleration and not too worried about top speed.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys, I am debating driving the 200 miles or just having them ship it.  They have three of them for only 75.00 each and I might just pick them up.  I am bidding on one on ebay but I am up to 155.00 and the reserve hasnt been met yet.  It has a bigger ring @ 115mm and it looks super clean so I dont mind spending the extra cash but I dont want to pay too much.  Plus I am not sure yet if the Quife has a R180 unit for 115mm ring

your working on a 510 but asking what a 720 has... they arent interchangeable, ones an irs diff with half shafts, the truck is solid axle, not to mention one is 10 mm bigger than the other.

I think it might be the front diff, not sure about diff's at all, this is one subject I seriously need to research on.  Trans and Diffs and I am lost.  i just did a car-parts.com search and am just going off r180 diffs.  They came back with a 720, maximas, and Z's of course.

the later 200sx with the flip up lights had like a 390 or so. It was a automatic.

yo have to swap the spider gear threaded colloar thing to get the 510 stub shafts to work. and cut the dust sheild.

I would just find a subaru open diff R160 from a pre 91 car maybe if its EZER 3.70

Not sure if even the R160 LSD can handle over 350tq.  I read somewhere that the R180 can handle 550tq, so I am going with a R180 and dropping in a Quife unit.  I think the R200 is overkill and will add additional costs and fabrication to my project.  I would like to get this going before summer, my kids have had so much time off from school between the flu and the holiday breaks.  Cant wait till tomorrow when I can work on it.

350 pounds of torq and looking for a 75$ rear end????????????????

Im not getting this .

This car even running?

I got a R180 with the lower gears but nobody want to even give me 100$ for it and it already has the 510 shafts bolted up to it.

No its not running yet but if it were then I could break my r160 rather quickly.  I am trying to get the rear end situated prior to driving on the street just like my brakes need some work.   I also have a Quife lsd unit that is already on the way, so my 75.00 diff would immediately be worth 1300?  Im pretty much buying it for the housing and ring and pinion.

R-200 is good for 300 ft lbs so R-180 close to 250.

Well those figures arent good.  Well I am just going to have to go with what I have and if the Quife breaks then I will have to send it in for a new one (lifetime warranty even under racing conditions).  I am going with some stout CV's.  Does anyone make any hardened or stronger ring and pinions if that breaks?  Grrrrr... This differential topic is getting frustrating.

They arent good and they are also grossly under-rated. Z's do wheel stands on r200's. So long as a person doesnt just sit there spinning wheels and blowing out the spider gears they have been proven to handle 2+ times as much as they are rated for.  

I'm running a 4.11 out of a 200sx, they came with a 3.7 and 4.11 in both r180 and r200 depending on the drive line. We were talking a while back about these difs and I believe Mike was saying the 4.11 out of a 720 is prob a better option because its bound to be way lower in mileage, I agree.