Radiator died!! question about a radiator mod.

Guest Jamee

Help my radiator in my 77 b210 died and Id like to replace it with something that cools better. Does anyone have any success stories fitting other radiators from different cars in there. Redbanner mentioned vw's having somewhat compatible radiators, but does anyone have other ideas so that when I go looking I'll have a wider range of options? haaallllp please! thanks everyone.   :blush:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine died too and i got a replacement which didn't work as well!

So I put copper seal in the old one and it is now 100% perfect. Cools well and no longer leaks. That's my recommendation for a leaking radiator. And that is with the smallest stock radiator.

For a $50 new aluminum (which I don't recommend) you can use a Jetta radiator. But they only have 20psi caps so it stresses out the old B210 heater core and hoses. I would instead get a B210 or B310 radiator which fit in but are bigger. Or get the same size one if it worked good in your weather before it died.

Everything you need to know about B210 radiator swaps is at Datsun1200.com: http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Radiator#Upgrades

Be sure to check out the swap pics of the VW radiator to see what is involved.

banner hit the nail on the head with the vw radiator they fit well as long as you dont mind making brackets my motor ran cooler with it 

ive heard about a focus radiator working as well as a feiro but ive never tried either of these 

Since B210s in other countries were available with L series motors, ( hence engine bay is made to accept an L series engine and its accesories.) try a Datsun 610 or 710 radiator. Those have same pressure characteristics to the B210's but those ( 610/710 ) have more capacity and better flow due to better capacity. 

Hey Jamee,

I acquired a new radiator at Rockauto.com for my B210 for around $110. I just checked they are going for $90 before discount. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Get a 5% Discount code from Ratsun Rock Auto thread. The radiator works great, I been using my radiator for over two years without any problems.

Well at the moment i am completely F***ked. I have no monies for about a week and my car is my daily runner, If anyone out there in ratsun land near me could loan me a spare radiator until I get a pick n pull one next week that would be beyond epic. or hell i got $10... this really facking sucks  :poop: .  :crying:

Help my radiator in my 77 b210 died

Define died. Sometimes you can limp by for weeks and months buy just leaving the cap loose so pressure doesn't push the water out and just keep topping it off. Depends where and how large the leak is. Make sure it isn't a leaking hose.

Died: the fins have exstensive damage, the top tank has a large crack and the top tank "seal" leaks as well. I apparently have been limping it for a while lol, Didnt realize how bad it was until it had sprayed anti freeze all over my engine, my mechanic(my man) says he has no idea how i've been able to run it for this long. It's only such a huge issue because like i said its my daily runner. We have the mod thing figured out (thank you everyone for that) we just have to wait until payday.

you peeps are blowing my mind here. lol. wont it boil out my water if the cap isnt tight? ya know because its a little engine gets hot blah blah? hmm no,its rather chilly right now so it would only get hot hot if I made a trip to vancouver and back.....sorry, thinking out loud. man o man I love you peoples :thumbup:

Since B210s in other countries were available with L series motors, ( hence engine bay is made to accept an L series engine and its accesories.) try a Datsun 610 or 710 radiator. Those have same pressure characteristics to the B210's but those ( 610/710 ) have more capacity and better flow due to better capacity. 

problem with this idea is the fact that a 610/710 radiator is just as hard to find and if you do it could be just as bad as what your pulling out

Died: the fins have exstensive damage, the top tank has a large crack and the top tank "seal" leaks as well. I apparently have been limping it for a while lol, Didnt realize how bad it was until it had sprayed anti freeze all over my engine, my mechanic(my man) says he has no idea how i've been able to run it for this long. It's only such a huge issue because like i said its my daily runner. We have the mod thing figured out (thank you everyone for that) we just have to wait until payday.

You can also do some redneck type patching to help things along.  A little bit of RTV silicone smeared on the leaky fins and let dry overnight will help.  For the top tank the leaks and the crack can be helped with some Epoxy putty.  Clean the area with a brush for both the fins and tank and apply the silicone/epoxy and let sit overnight.

Run it with the cap on, but not tightened. It'll go until summertime. The cap pressurizes the system to about 14 psi to raise the boiling point. You won't need that until summer.

^this.  It's winter you can push this if absolutely necessary for a while.

Do not risk blowing your head gasket and messing your pushrods. If you can not buy a radiator yet, park your car. You are going to spend a lot more $$$ if you use your car like that.

Just keep an eye on the temp gauge and you should be fine.  Keep some water/antifreeze in the trunk and pullover if it starts to overheat. Check the fluid level on a regular basis. 

I've patched and run crappy rads way longer than I should have when I was really desperate and had to drive the car.  You'd be surprised how well you can patch some of the leaks temporarily.

• 1 month later...