A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I recall the A10 had three different length transmissions. So plan carefully.

Early 4spd, late 4spd, auto. L20B and Z20 are same I think. 4spd and 5spd used same driveshaft I think.

Early 4 speed would be L series, late 4 speed would be Z series. Both are F4W63L and should be 26" long

The dogleg 5 speed should also be early L series and late Z series but the same 26" length.

There would also be L and Z series automatics that were 31.5" long.

It would seem the 4 and 5 speeds could share the same driveshaft and the automatic driveshaft would be shorter... probably allowing the use of a 31.5" 71-B 5 speed swap?

I don't know the A10 that well.

I should have said I haven't worked with one, so part of this is a good guess. The 710 is all L series but the 4 speed is short and the auto long. I swapped a 5 speed zx tranny in by using the shorter auto driveshaft. Seems like this would work in the A10.

710driveshaft001Large.jpg

The A10 automatic was longer than the manual transmission.  I've had all flavors of A10 transmissions the US got except the (possibly a typo in the manual) the 60-series 5-speed that was supposedly used in the 1981 wagon.  The automatic driveshaft is shorter.  The sedan and hatchback driveshafts are the same length- dunno about the wagons, as oddly I've never had problems with them (in my hatchbacks and 2-doors, I have).

1978-79 A10s were available in 4 body styles, all had the L20B engine: 

2-Door Sedan (HLA10):  These came with 4-speed manual STANDARD, and had an Automatic AND the 5-speed as an option.

4-door Sedan (also HLA10):  These also came standard with a 4-speed, and an Automatic as an option.  I've heard, but cannot verify, that the 5-speed was an option on those.

3-door hatchback (KHLA10).  These came with a 5-speed STANDARD and an Automatic OPTIONAL, though I've heard of but never seen ones with 4-speeds.

5-door wagon (WHLA10):  These came with a 4-speed standards and an Automatic optional.  5-speeds were not available from the factory, and were not presented as an option at all.

There is very little difference between a 78 and a 79.  The only differences I know of are, the 78 used a remote-ignitor ignition, 79 used a matchbox.  The idiot lights on the dash had a slightly different font.  The dash facia had extra cutouts for the illumination warning system, the clock was digital instead of analog (at least on some), and the console gained an armrest.

1980-81 was also available in 4 body styles.  The only one that changed was the 3-door hatchback was replaced with a 5-door hatchback.  The 3-door continued to be built for non-North American markets but was dropped in the US.

The big change in 1980 was the engine, which switched from the L20B to the Z20S in the US.  49-State engines had 4 spark plugs in 1980.  California 1980 and all 1981 Z20S engines had 8 plugs.

The 5-speed may or may not have become an option on Wagons, but was always optional on everything else.  The 4-speed was standard on all models and an automatic was optional was well.

Body changes were cosmetic- no sheet metal changes to removable panels,  but the grille was changed to a flat, horizontal bar grille with square headlights.  The sedan taillights were redesigned.  The bumper "pushers" were made much smaller.  There were minor changes to the lens housings for the front turn signals (not the wiring plugs were totally different).  Wagon taillights remained the same.  Interior differences was a major redesign of the instrument cluster and dash facia. eliminating the "pod" type gauges for a single "cluster (though behind it they didn't change much at all).  The tach became standard (it was a vary rare option in 78-79), and the cluster added an oil pressure gauge and a voltmeter. eliminating the oil pressure idiot light.

There's other small stuff, and plenty of cars have become mutts over the years so finding 5-speed wagons, L-series square headlight or Z-series round headlight cars isn't that uncommon.      

• Like 1

Time has come to try and change steering wheels, Ran into an issue but my thought was.. The plastic piece that is part of the steering hub, how do I remove that so I can remove the three prong adapter?

IMAG0066.jpg

I ask Yee, Gods, Help a poor human in his conquest of his car!

Time has come to try and change steering wheels, Ran into an issue but my thought was.. The plastic piece that is part of the steering hub, how do I remove that so I can remove the three prong adapter?

1. Remove the big nut in the center, then use a puller to remove the hub itself. 

2. What the heck is a "three prong adapter"??

I paid $100 so you pay $100. 

There are pics a few pages back. I have actually never seen it myself.

Robopineapple bought it from a yard where he lives-it got sent to bananahamuck's house-from there to Wayno. From Wayno to Banner who is holding it for me. 

Maybe pineapple or hamuck still have a pic of it?  

I don't have the A10 anymore so I do not need the grill. 

$100 plus shipping at it's yours.