A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it only has 20k on it, does it have the stock hitachi carb or a weber? Rebuilt carb? Emission equipment removed? So many variables apply when calculating mpg. Two identical cars will get different mpg.

Non rebuilt hitachi with no emission stuff, Z tranny, U67 peanut head, and 2 1/2" exhaust to the back

Well thats thats why you're getting the mpg... lol. Peanut head, old carb, emissions removed and a different tranny. Silly goose.

Looked like he had it sanded down for paint. We waited around and watched the car but never caught the guy,, who is he??

When i say "we" i mean my late model loving freakshow of a son,,,,,,,,, and me and Albert.

His name is Brent. He lives in Silverdale and works at a body shop on Bainbridge Island.

emissions can lower NOX and better MPG. It 'recycles" unburned fuel found in exhaust gasses.

You can tell that to my bronco 2. I really don't think emissions crap from 1979 would help me get better mpg... Maybe like 2-3 miles better

Well, honestly look at what DatzenMike said. he was ALL 5th GEAR! which would make a ridiculous difference, ie my mitsu mirage gets almost 400mi on 10 gallons going 65 in 5th gear. around town? It gets barely 28-30!

there is a huge difference on town / highway driving. accelerating will kill your mpg.

emissions can lower NOX and better MPG. It 'recycles" unburned fuel found in exhaust gasses.

EGR doesn't recirculate enough exhaust to do any sort of reburn.  It in many cases lowers mileage, because an EGR system actually reduces the oxygen percentage of the intake mix.  The sole purpose of the EGR system is to lower combustion temperature, because best-lean mixes cause high temperatures that cause otherwise inert nitrogen to bond with oxygen, creating NOx. 

It can help MPG is some situation by promoting a more efficient burn, but it's negligible when it happens.  In most cases it actually hurts efficiency, particularly if using a non-stock carb that isn't tuned for EGR operation.  Where it really hurts power/efficiency is at high loads, but stock EGR systems are designed to cut off in that situation anyway.

There is no EGR at idle or full throttle OR when the engine is cold. It, as Doug said, simply displaces a small amount of gas and air mix with inert burned exhaust that has virtually no oxygen. This reduces peak cylinder temperatures and emissions. If there is a very slight loss of power it is hardly noticed as you would automatically just step on the gas pedal slightly more to make up for it. An advantage of some amount of EGR is a reduction of pinging at the same throttle setting. Again... there is no EGR at full throttle so performance is unaffected.

A properly working EGR system is fairly benign.  But a faulty one causes all sorts of problems.  A stock carb + working EGR is better than a stock carb + blockef off EGR, but add a non-stock carb, that changes because very few aftermarket carbs have the correct vacuum port for the EGR.  Hitachis set up for the EGR had 2 separate ports (one for the distributor, one for the EGR).  As long as the EGR valve and seat are good and don't leak, disconnecting the vacuum line from it has the exact same effect as removing it, except it's easier to put back if you ever have to move to Cali or Nevada or any State that tests 1970s cars.

I feel worse and worse everyday for putting my a10 on the back burner for winter...

Well i know just the thing to cheer up our sad little man..

cantaloupes-de5f0cbd09c43522a7669781fddf[/url]

94397-Heirloom-tuscan-cantaloupe450_zps1