Rear end suggestions needed....70' 521

What?It runs...

Alright, so I've begun some work on a 1970 pickup I had in high school. I have recently picked up a nicely built L20 and would like to change out the rear end and perhaps the brakes. Which rear end should I use that may also provide some independant suspension? I'm relatively new to the world of japanese cars and will welcome any suggestions. Thanks for your time...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome !

Any IRS will work ...

People who know..... just do ;)

If you don't have an un-disturbed workplace to set the truck from start to finish ... It's going to be more difficult than it already is.

I can see a cool $850-$1,000 being dropped right off the bat if you want NEW performance coilovers in general with IRS. Thinking specifcally Qa-1 coilovers. Than again other coilover setups could be cheaper !

Add more money for exhaust re-routing and more un-expected costs.

Add more for driveline shortening or custom driveline.

THEN... You choose whether to shorten cv joints and making custom a-arms ... More money.

Bushings ...

Metal needed ...

To re-drill or to not re-drill ?

E-brake ...

Brake re-routing...

Etc

Etc

Or

You'll be swapping out lug patterns to ... 2 spare tires.

Hopefully you won't end up disc rear and drum front.

Infiniti Q45

350z or G35 ?

240sx IRS

30Ozx IRS

510 IRS

280zx IRS

Lincoln mark viii IRS

Ford Mustang Cobra IRS

Cougar xr7 IRS

Thunderbird 5.0 IRS

Etc ?

^ track width issues on many of those.

Just as many don't have LSD.

Which is a big re-sale issue.

etc.

Soon youll have more into the rear suspension than the whole truck including the engine.

Unless you're a sly guy with money and parts slinging.

Not to mention down time or cost versus fun ratio and possible a heavier setup than the original ...

You could also Keep it the way it is and enjoy :)

Or

Choose the rear end setup that you'll still enjoy 10 years down the road if you do !

I'll have $2,200 in an 8.8 straight axle conversionr into my 240z

That's counting everything I can think of needing ..

Feels almost impossible everytime I type that figure but its true.

And it's my reference :lol:

You have to be super accurate in wheel base measurements via plumb bobs , jigs , angles and measurements.

Not to mention lots of free time and even more patience period.

Sure you can do it cheaper than my figures.

But do you really want a top notch system operating with cheap or half worn parts ?

Some of those parts work and even a larger percentage won't work as well.

Not attempting to discourage.

I do hope you're a bit more prepared for the journey though.

Good luck

Dtp

• Like 1

Welcome to Ratsun B)

Alright, so I've begun some work on a 1970 pickup I had in high school. I have recently picked up a nicely built L20 and would like to change out the rear end and perhaps the brakes. Which rear end should I use that may also provide some independant suspension? I'm relatively new to the world of japanese cars and will welcome any suggestions. Thanks for your time...

Leave the damn thing alone. Put some good shocks on it, maybe lower is a couple of inches. Some nice rubber. Stiffer springs maybe a larger sway bar to tune the over/under steer. Enjoy driving it. You don't want IRS! What for? it's a truck not a 510. It's heavy and has a frame. It will always handle like a truck but you can improve on it. .

Thanks for ALL the feedback! @thisismatt, clearly IRS is a full time thing. I'm not new to the car world. but thank you. I am sort of new to datsuns and am really excited to get my pickup back on the road. I do have a full machine/fab shop at my fingertips so the work isn't the issue. However, being relatively new to Datsuns, I didn't know if there was a particularly common rear end swap.

@DTP, thanks for all the info. I may leave it alone for now just to get it on the road and to a couple of events. I look forward to meeting some of you and seeing what you've got...