polished my valve cover

Boom death

so i dint work today and i had no classes either so intead of sitting on my arse all day i polished my valve cover by HAND

this is what they looked like when i took if off the car

IMG_0762.jpgIMG_0763.jpgIMG_0764.jpg

it wasnt all that bad but to start off with but who doesnt like shiny things

these next images are after first sanding with 220 grit wet sand paper just to get some of the bigger scratches out

IMG_0765.jpgIMG_0766.jpgIMG_0767.jpg

then i used 600grit wet sand paper for my second coat this was my longest stage almost 2 hours to get an even base for the final sanding

IMG_0768.jpgIMG_0769.jpg

and finally i used 1000 grit wet sandpaper to make the surface easier to get that mirrorer finish

IMG_0771.jpgIMG_0772.jpg

look good enough to just throw her on just like that after the 1000 grit.but i polished it with some alluminum polish that i had and BOOM shiny valve cover sure its not competition quality shine but it way better than what i started with lol

IMG_0774.jpgIMG_0775.jpgIMG_0776.jpgIMG_0777.jpg

holy reflection thats shiny and here it is bolted back in the truck

IMG_0778.jpgIMG_0780.jpgIMG_0779.jpgIMG_0781.jpg

hope u guys enjoy it as much i did making it :thumbup:

by the way i took me almost 5 hours for 3 coats of sanding and 2 coats of polish to get this done and all done by hand lol

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys... I thought about putting some clear on it but I also thought the heat might affect the clear coat in some way like melt off or get crusty and flake off ???... Besides I wouldnt mind taking it off every couple of months to freshen it up a bit

Eastwood sells an aerosol clear that is supposed to be safe for use on valve covers. I used to polish quite a bit but never tried it. I used some other aerosol clear on a radiator. It took away a little of the reflectivity but it still looked very nice. I haven't paid very much attention to it in the last couple of years, it's been sitting on my parts shelf. I'll check it out and see how it looks now.

Nice job BTW. Looks top notch.

so I found some clear at my local auto shop and read it can hold up to 300 degrees ferenheit put it on and wow all tge shiny was gone it loses a lot more shine than i thought so I got some paint thinner ad took it off all that work to have it looking like shit in the end so I will be shining this thing every couple of months or when ever I head over to the inland empire Datsun meets lol

glad u guys like it ...... idk if it would work on the fuel pump it looks like it has a brass finish on it or it was spray painted yellow ... but i definately got my eyes out for a new aluminum radiator... and thinking about chroming the air box cleaner