59 Datto 1000 on CL

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the money but no where to put it. I could be cool like Icehouse and store a '59 Datto but never work on it. :D

(like I store a Fairlady Z and 'rarely' work on it)

I would work on it but its positive ground and I'm not good enough at wiring to figure it out :D I wouldn't mind having 2 of them :D hahahahah

This little jewel is probably about 70 miles from me, and I even have the money, but lack time and energy to take on another project. In theory I could buy it, put it on eBay, and get rich (well maybe make a few hundred), but again, involves time and energy. Everyone needs to spread the word on this car. There is a chance someone here in E. WA will buy it and stick a V8 in it (or start to and get as far as throwing the original drive train away).

Lazy Len

damn i missed it. anyone save a pic. i think it should be mandatory for the original poster to always include a pic. all the craigslist links are dead after a day or more like this one and i cant see what the hell everyone is talking about. this site is littered with dead ads and most dont have a pic.

yeah i know. a day late and a dollar short.:mellow:

So, does anyone want to guess what this '59 Datsun would be worth if the seller had put it on eBay? Keep in mind the buyer would have to travel to the wilds of E. WA, which would be a time issue for some people, so that might limit the bidding.

A bit OT - my neighbor who is doing the car crush has an early '60s (he thinks '62) Toyota 4-dr 1900, in not very good condition. I know it isn't nearly as rare as a '59 Datsun, but I'm thinking it shouldn't go to the crusher. He has been getting $250 for complete cars, which wouldn't be a lot for me to risk, but maybe no one in the world has any interest in early T cars. Any thoughts?

Len

So, does anyone want to guess what this '59 Datsun would be worth if the seller had put it on eBay? Keep in mind the buyer would have to travel to the wilds of E. WA, which would be a time issue for some people, so that might limit the bidding.

A bit OT - my neighbor who is doing the car crush has an early '60s (he thinks '62) Toyota 4-dr 1900, in not very good condition. I know it isn't nearly as rare as a '59 Datsun, but I'm thinking it shouldn't go to the crusher. He has been getting $250 for complete cars, which wouldn't be a lot for me to risk, but maybe no one in the world has any interest in early T cars. Any thoughts?

Len

If possible get some pictures.. something like that could potentially fetch a bit of money (I think?) I don't think i've ever heard of a toyota that early in the US..

I'm going to cheat a bit in order to post a pic of the Toyota, and use someone else's shot:

http://www.60impala.com/arc/harrington/1951%20Chevy%202.jpg

The T is the white thing in upper right. I looked at it again today and it is pretty rough - windshield and back window both broken, front fenders bad (off the car, although what is left of them may be there). Drive train is there (I think).

You may find the source of the above pic interesting:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270772

Dave's link in his first post has lots of pics.

To get the topic back to Datsuns, I was at the crush-site-to-be today with my '79 200SX pulling parts from an '81 200SX, when a friend pulled up in his '72 Datsun 1200. He walked around looking at cars and found one I missed - the remains of a '69 510 wagon. No engine, auto trans, and pretty well beat on everywhere. I got the motor mounts and throttle linkage. Might get door handles, but not much else left.

Len

I'm going to cheat a bit in order to post a pic of the Toyota, and use someone else's shot:

http://www.60impala.com/arc/harrington/1951%20Chevy%202.jpg

The T is the white thing in upper right. I looked at it again today and it is pretty rough - windshield and back window both broken, front fenders bad (off the car, although what is left of them may be there). Drive train is there (I think).

You may find the source of the above pic interesting:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270772

Dave's link in his first post has lots of pics.

To get the topic back to Datsuns, I was at the crush-site-to-be today with my '79 200SX pulling parts from an '81 200SX, when a friend pulled up in his '72 Datsun 1200. He walked around looking at cars and found one I missed - the remains of a '69 510 wagon. No engine, auto trans, and pretty well beat on everywhere. I got the motor mounts and throttle linkage. Might get door handles, but not much else left.

Len

From a bit of research that looks to be a 60-65 Toyota Tiara... it looks like the "1900" was made from 64-65. It was only 'officially' sold in the United States in 1965. A total of 318 Tiaras were sold.

B24597.jpg

I had no idea that toyota was in the US that long ago..

Didn't know datsuns and toyotas that old still exsisted.

Thanks for the information. I found one site that refers to early Toyotas by a model code, that I assume I will be able to find on the build plate. That may help narrow it down a bit. I forgot to mention in my previous post, it is badged "Tiara 1900" on the back of the car. It sounds like it may be rare enough I should make a bit of effort to find a home for it (even though it isn't a Datsun). I'm probably biased, but I think it is pretty ugly styling, although to a Toyota lover, it may be a thing of beauty.

Len

Lovin this 59! One didn't sell on ebay about 6 mo ago for $250. Looked to be in this good of condition. It was in southern NY and I have been kicking myself ever since for not buying it. Especially after I drew that pic of a 59.

It looks like we will have a chance to see what the '59 Datsun will bring on eBay. Compare the build plate serial numbers. It has to be the same car that was on CL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1959-DATSUN-1000-L210-RARE-PRE-NISSAN-HOT-ROD-N-R_W0QQitemZ320264809900QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320264809900&

The "no title" aspect may scare a lot of bidders away. Maybe some states are more lenient about missing titles than others. The two different plates might raise bureaucratic eyebrows in any state. The high bidder might have to hire a lawyer to get it titled (joking, or maybe not).

Len

It looks like we will have a chance to see what the '59 Datsun will bring on eBay. Compare the build plate serial numbers. It has to be the same car that was on CL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1959-DATSUN-1000-L210-RARE-PRE-NISSAN-HOT-ROD-N-R_W0QQitemZ320264809900QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320264809900&

I'm 99% sure that it is the same car. Coeur d'Alene, ID is only a few miles away from where the car was forsale. Also comparing the pics to the ones from the ads it is identical.

Funny how they've already made double what they paid for it. Sucks tho, people think they are selling it to some one who actually wants it but next thing you know its on ebay selling for a lot.

Happened to a guy I talked to. Thought he was selling to some one who'd enjoy the car and next thing he knew it was on ebay for double the price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.