hey, what kind of thermostat is this?

a.d._510_n_ok

my Dat has always ran cold in the winter so I just assumed it was lacking a thermostat. when I pulled the thermostat housing I found this thing inside:

121017_0000.jpg

I'd never seen one with the copper element and spring off-center. the little brass piece at the top is a wedge that slides back and forth....guessing it's a fail-safe thing? I the brand is motorad but I noticed that the unit never completely closed, even when cold as ice.

I replaced it with a standard 180' motorad and am tickled with the engine's new found consistent heating!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The little brass thing is called a jiggle-valve and Datsun started using them in the late 1970s. It's good.

The spring needs to face into the engine. If it was put in backwards it won't work properly.

naw, it was installed the correct way but it was stuck partially open.....hmmm.....will replacing it with a regular 'stat make any difference?

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of thermostats, has anyone here ever used the Toyota two stage thermostat before?

90916_03078.jpg

In everything it fits in my friend. Toyota Part Number: part # 90916-03070

What this is a three component TS.

-The first is the jiggle valve. It can be seen in the picture at about 330 oclock.

-Second is the stage one TS. It can be seen in the picture at about 6 oclock. It opens at a cooler temperature to allow water to pass once the engine reaches a specific temperature but still restricts the flow to maintain a minimum constant temperature to warm up the engine properly. This also allows "minimal" heat to your heater core during the winter months to bring heat on early instead of having to wait for the main TS to open. I LOVE THIS!!!

-Third is the stage two TS. Obviously the large one in the center. When this opens and closes based on engine temperature (radiator, fan, load, etc.), the smaller one normally remains open to ensure a constant minimal heat load.

The concept behind this that no matter the temperature, you do not get a fluctuating heat load typically seen with single stage thermostats that do not have a piped bypass system. It's important on EFI systems because the temperature sensors put you in either open loop or closed loop based on temperature. Once you've reached the stage one TS temp, you no longer bounce in and out of loops.

Even with these, I still drill a 1/8" hole in every thermostat to help reduce airlock and maintain a very minimal flow through the TS. I learned about these way long ago when I was modding my 22RE in my 4Runner (which is about to get a brand new rebuilt motor in about 3 days).

• Like 2

Insurance for what? They are not the fail-safe type.

Read below.

The concept behind this that no matter the temperature, you do not get a fluctuating heat load typically seen with single stage thermostats that do not have a piped bypass system. It's important on EFI systems because the temperature sensors put you in either open loop or closed loop based on temperature. Once you've reached the stage one TS temp, you no longer bounce in and out of loops.