My Interior Build Thread

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I finally got tired of twisting wires together for my headlights, running lights, ... everything. So I got off my rusty dusty and made this

Cut all the pieces (cut out the holes first, MDF can be tricky when the edges get thin)

IMG_1424.jpg

Made two, one was a prototype

IMG_1430.jpg

The top part of the console, where the switches will end up was cut at 6 degrees

IMG_1432.jpg

Test fit the switch panel and the Stereo, NAV/GPS/Phone/Back Up Camera/ DVD

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

Test fit it in the car... at this point I was kinda like EHHHH, but I kept going

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

Then I got it back on the bench and really hated it!!! :confused: More than anything I was thinking in terms of upholstery. I didnt want it to look like some great big piece of :poop: from some 1980's semi truck and it was looking that way. I was not impressed!!!!

IMG_1449.jpg

No matter how I looked at it ... it looked like :poop: ... picture that thing covered in black leather :crying: ... not so much!

So,.... I thought outside the box and started sanding

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

So I had an idea about upholstery ... saw it on a hot rod show one day. I traced a piece of MDF to match the contours of the front face and trimmed the rear and bottom edge and clamped the cracker jacks out of it so would stay in place, then drilled 4 holes to match some "t bolts" I bought.

IMG_1459.jpg

Knocked the "T bolts" in place, with a big hammer, gotta get em in place.

IMG_1472.jpg

Then get a piece of foam/headliner material, you can get a million yards for a nickel when its on sale. I believe its 8th inch. Then go get a couple can of this stuff. 19 bucks at the Homie Depot

IMG_1474.jpg

Spray it and let it set for a minute or so, it works much much better if you let it tack up and "off gas" before you try to attach anything to it. then go get some of that fine italian leather you got laying around, spray some glue, let it tack up and give it a lite stretching and attach it to the panel.

IMG_1475.jpg

Trim the edges

IMG_1464.jpg

Okay now... heres where it gets fun and really f*&^$ up all at the same time, not really but you gotta let the glue do the work. Okay so spray the back side of the panel and the exposed underside of your fine italian leather with a moderate spray of glue and walk away... let it tack up for a 3 minutes ...trust me!!!!

when you come back start in the corner and stretch the cracker jacks out of it and work around the edges. It takes practice, but this is what my panel looked like with no staples or anything other than the spray glue. (here a tip, clamp the opposite edge your pulling from otherwise you'll just rip the foam right up) its sound complicated but its not. Or lay it flat on your bench and crush the foam with your body weight when you pull your material. Either way works just fine.

IMG_1476.jpg

so once the fabric is all stretched attach the panel to the console from the back side with the provided screws (oh ya I fiberglassed the back side of the console as well ... its bullet proof now.

IMG_1465.jpg

Okay, so those that know me kinda sorta know that Im not a carbon fiber tape kinda guy BUT!!! I couldnt resist... its a "One Off" piece and I wasnt totally convinced I was in love with the progress. So this what I ended up with. I wish I had put another degree or two in the lower half but the head unit was pretty damn close to the floor ... the next one will be better, maybe I'll raise the head unit a half inch or so?

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

• Like 1

Well I patched the hole in the floor, simple sheet metal and a parking pole did wonders for the bending.

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

I put some sound deadner on top and underneathe the new piece, popped about a dzen rivets in it with some edge trim aroudn the shifter. NO PICS - sorry

But the end result is pretty much this

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

And I think I'm done with the front of the interior, Still gotta tie up a few wires, but thats it for the front.

Next rear door panels and rear quarter panels, but thats the same process as the front.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow man looks amazing!!!  Hope you dont mind but I am gonna steal some of those ideas when I get around to my interior.

Two Question...  1. Why no center console?

2. What did you do about the vents beind your switch panel/headunit.

Again great work!!!!

Center console is gonna be in the works, Im sorta kinda maybe trying to sale the car so I'm on the slow boat for progress. As far as the heater vents go, I dont have a heater. Although, if the car doesnt sale I may redo the dash, center console, radio placement, switch placement, add a heater and an A/C.

LOL LOL Honestly Im probably not, too much work for so little profit.

After being in the fiberglass industry for a while now two things hold true: No one wants an unfinished part and no one wants to spend the money to have it finished. My Dash was 250 to upholster and lets say I sold them for 200... bottom line no one wants to spend 450 on a dash with no gauges, no emblem, no heater vents and no one wants to wire it either.

Damn am I venting or what?

• Like 1