My Interior Build Thread

Well since I spent all this time and money on everything else I figured Id spend a little time trying to quiet things down a bit, since we all know Datsun are quite the "Tinny Lil Beast" when it comes to interior noise.

So if you dont have one go get one of these

IMG_1383.jpg

and lots of these, in varied sizes.

IMG_1382.jpg

And if you decide to do your panels the way I did mine (most of you wont as I'vd discovered that most of the datsun guys are purist) and thats fine... but, you might need some of this anyway.

IMG_1286.jpg

Okay, so now go get some new 8th inch fiber board from your local big box store, like this

IMG_1282.jpg

Then locate and drill out the holes in the panels so they line up with the new holes in the panels, Nope, its not easy. In fact its a pain in the a$$ but once you figure it out ... your golden and it looks like this

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

Okay, so because I wanted to do something different I added this piece, you'll understand why later in the thread

IMG_1331.jpg

I set it where I thoguth it looked good and drilled lots of little holes through the door panel and the inlay piece

IMG_1285.jpg

Then I removed it, cut wire about 12 inches long and looped them through the holes and upholtered the piece to match the rest of the interior

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

The end result is this

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

Ok, now back to the actual door panel. I outlined the inlay piece and surrounded the rest of the panel in foam, recycled foam none the less, so these panels are ECO friendly.

IMG_1295.jpg

Finish gluing the foam to the panel (but do not glue the 2 inches around the perimeter of the panel) and test fit the inlay, you should have about an 16th to an 8th of an inch of play.

IMG_1300.jpg

Okay, now take the inlay out and get your imported italian leather ready to go down, or in this case some sweet leatherette from your local fabric store and loosly (kind of) tack it in place.

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

Now, remember those holes that were in the panel. Stick a small screw driver through those holes in that fine italian leather so you kno where they are and fish the wire from the inlay through those holes

IMG_1334.jpg

What you end up with is this

IMG_1335.jpg

At this point you wanna make sure your inlay is down nice and tight so lift the edges of the black leather and make sure the edges of the inlay are under the thick foam and the start to twist and secure the wire on the back side of the panel (not to tight or you'll tear the panel or break the wire)

Now you want to drop in your new pins under the foam, remember you didnt glue the edges so this step is pretty easy. then start to stretch and attach the leather starting in the corners (at least that method works for me) and start gluing and stapling and trimming the excess material.

IMG_1337.jpg

What I ended up with was this

IMG_1341.jpg

Now I have to do the rear doors and the hatch.

• Like 5
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seat belts came in today, When I first got em I was kinda like :confused: but after installing them I was like :w00t: they work great, I think. Well they look better than the factory units thats for sure. Now I can look over my shoulder and no have the seat belt across my face.

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

• Like 1

Im sure most of the people in the San Jose Datsun community have seen this alredy but here is the custom dash build.

It started with alot of wood and bondo. I'll spare you the whole build thread and show the OIC highlights

The start

IMG_0891_zps1ad80924.jpg

IMG_0890_zpscfac1c53.jpg

IMG_0889_zpsd4b8e042.jpg

IMG_0905_zps24bfadad.jpg

IMG_0897_zpsdaa93839.jpg

I had two designs mocked up but liked one more than the other. One design was set up for gauges to go all the way across and the other was a little more realistic

IMG_0911_zps7949c105.jpg

IMG_0917_zpsaf55680f.jpg

Test fit, blocked, primed, blocked and primed and blocked and primed

IMG_0947_zps1c457bb7.jpg

Made a mold, made a part, cut some holes and off to the upholstery shop. (this is the mold, the plug and the part

IMG_0957_zpsd549dc29.jpg

And the finished product, with Datsun Daves Push Buttom start :thumbup:

IMG_1022_zps3e534d74.jpg

CopyofIMG_1024_zpsd1895c38.jpg

IMG_1014_zpsd8ee524d.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice!! I was pondering how you did all this last time I saw it at the santa clara meet. I hope you make it out to the swapmeet this saturday so I can take a closer look. Good job!! :thumbup:

Oh and I may ask some advice on what material to use on the door panels for my little brothers wagon. :)

The pins came from "The fastener Wharehouse.com" Len is the guy you wanna talk to. The part number is TR308B, I paid 25 bucks for 200 pieces so they're very affordable.

The seat belts were the 110 length with the 8 inch drop belt and the 8 or 12 inch buckle.

• Like 3