My barn find: 1971 PL510

KPGC10

Early last month I purchased this '71 510 4dr, which had been stored in a barn near me since 1985. This is how I originally found it, covered in junk and rat droppings.

IMG_20120812_163848.jpg

Note, the ground around the car is solid rat sh*t.

IMG_20120812_163816.jpg

IMG_20120812_163800.jpg

Removing it was a daunting task, due to the amount of debris and junk that was present on top, inside, and around the car...along with tires that had been flat for the better part of 30 years and an extreme overgrowth of brush (stupid cactus!) in front of the structure.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I took her home and gave her a bath, inflated her tires, and removed loads of rat poop (hantavirus too!).

578368_10151168926213128_1149849875_n.jpg

The wheels appear to be Ansens, it has a BRE Mulholland suspension kit including F&R sway bars, and a Jacobs Ignition.

Note the sticker on the sidemarker lens. There is a matching one at the base of the rear window. B)

I have since started working on everything in the engine compartment, including the original L16.

Thermostat housing and water inlet disintegrated when removing the hoses, as well as the lower water outlet on the radiator breaking its silver solder joint to the tank. Luckily, the core was intact and not corroded through when I took it to my friend's radiator shop, so I had him rod it out and repair the outlet.

Best part?

The previous owner had the core replaced with a 3-row high density unit in the early 80's. This would be an expensive copper-brass radiator to duplicate today...and it looks like new again!

Sweet find. What are your plans for this?

Once I get it running and driving I will most likely sell it as I have a million other projects going right now. It will be a great little runner for someone, that's for sure.

Between a couple of 18R-G equipped Toyota projects, a 6M-GE/5-spd Cressida swap, and a '65 Ranchero with a 4.6 DOHC Cobra engine...not much time for anything else.

Same 510 as mine was.................. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40424-yenpits-1970-510-4-door-beater/

I've been chasing an 18RG equipped early Celica, here in Michigan, but seems to have disappeared. I'll hit up the guys elderly Mom pretty soon, to see if the guy is still around.

these are the best! i love finding cars in barn or even backyards and bring them back to life again! Got my Z from a barnfind, and my C30 from a barn, got my 510 out of a backyard and the 610 came from a shed as well. My s110 had been in a field for 10 years :)

This one looks great! Love the colour on it too!

Complete with religious quasi-cult bumper stickers! Coincidentally, 1985 was the year that "The Way" founder Victor Paul Wierwille died.

LMFAO

Nice find btw

Complete with religious quasi-cult bumper stickers! Coincidentally, 1985 was the year that "The Way" founder Victor Paul Wierwille died.

LOL, they will all be coming off...'cept the OG BRE stickers. Wierwille and Martindale were both known for manipulating and sexually assaulting/raping the women from their congregation. Nice guys!