Sightings 2, the not a datsun but... Thread

It rubs me a little wrong to say this, but new shit fuckin hauls when compared to your average muscle car from yesteryear. Most of the stuff old dudes like me considered fast (when stock) were in reality high 14, low 15 second cars. Such as the Mustang GT 390, 1970 454 Chevelle, 396 SS camaro and so on. These days, your average mini cooper does that.

also 300 HP today is a completely different type of 300 HP from the yesterdays

with variable valve timing,LSD's,traction control etc etc etc

stuff they did not have back in the day

being able to resourcefully use the HP

and no joke about new stuff hauling ass

i have a integra with a b1.8 in it and its stupid how much torque that thing puts out at a rated 140hp

ingenuity is what the difference maker is

farmer   

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh totally, that old stuff I had, once you gave it hard power, it was a absolute smoke show, today's stuff just leaves. Don't get me wrong, I still love that old crap. it's cool as hell, but, just not as fast as many of us remember. Totally different from what you're talking about, but kinda the same...I have a Manx fiberglass buggy, it has 153 hp at the tires, which sounds a bit lame, but I tell you, that little thing honks, it does not spin, just picks up the front tires and goes. 

But, I bet if a guy went to yanking parts off of a newer one to make a race car, it would be pretty darn light (I think). If I remember correctly, Ford got that big ass Thunderbolt down to like 3200 and change with the 427 fe in it. I recall one of the big three had acid dipped their body for a trans-am race and made it so thin they were hoping no one leaned on it. Lots of folks don't pay much attention to power to weight ratio, they just throw out big horsepower numbers. Like, the 428 in my Ford truck, it has a 481 horsepower (at the crank), but, it rubs 7000 pounds with me sitting in it, it's no rocket ship. It's why I have always dug the old, standard VW bug. In full dress, they were like 1600 pounds, with most of the weight right over the rear wheels. It's why a lot of people wonder why they just got their ass handed to them by a bug that only has 200 hp. That would be 8 pounds for every one hp. A car like the charger is going to have to be a "TRUE" 500 hp car to pull around it. Not the 500 hp that everyone claims to have, but a real 500. Actually, I think claiming 500 hp died out in the early 90s, now everyone with a smallblock and a chrome air cleaner is 800 hp.

Power to weight ratio is critical. That's why I am going to put a CA18DET in my 1200 Coupe. A 1600 pound car with a reasonable 250hp from the motor with a power to weight ratio of 6.4 lb per hp. A new base Corvette is 3300 lbs with 460hp for 7.1lbs per hp. Physics says a 1600 lb car is way easier to accelerate and stop than a 3300 lb car of the same power to weight ratio. The old school Datsun driver will have to do his part as there is no whiz bang traction control and a smaller tire contact area, but I bet it will give the Vette a run for it's money.

A tribute to Q-tip's friend. In your 80's?? Old guys rock. I'm in my 50's and I never learned anything that didn't include computers from young people. All my knowledge about procedures and skills of things mechanical were given to me by old guys. A high school teacher helped me and a buddy do a full frame off restoration of a '30 Model A coupe when we were 18. My buddy still owns that car. Another friend is in his '70s and a technical adviser for the Ford Crown Victoria Association. I pick his brain on a regular basis. I know you have passed your knowledge down to younger generations because that's what old guys do. From us young guys, Thanks for your help.

I myself am a younger guy at 27, but this guy I met at a motel that a friend of my dads owns, he was living in a trailer in the back, pack of camel non filtered in each front pocket kind of guy. he only built real Manx bodies and built them all by hand hand had been doing it since the Manx came out. the one he had last I saw him he said was probably the third fastest he had built, the fastest one he built he said was undrivable it had so much power, and I believe him, the one he had was the fastest car I've ever been in.

Power to weight ratio is critical. That's why I am going to put a CA18DET in my 1200 Coupe. A 1600 pound car with a reasonable 250hp from the motor with a power to weight ratio of 6.4 lb per hp. 

There's been talk of "put it on a dyno and prove it", I'm going to have to say "put it on a scale and prove it".   ^_^

A 1200 is right around 1600 pounds stock, and you''ll be adding at least 150~ pounds of drivetrain, so... 

I know you'll have no real interior to speak of (which doesn't weigh much in a 1200 anyway), and some "organic lightening", but do you really think it'll hit 1600? There's also the weight of you to consider, which is admittedly less for you than it is me, but...   :rofl:

My coupe has basically everything that came in one stock (minus the back seat) and I'll be amazed if it can go below 1600 pounds. I added maybe 15-20 pounds to the engine/trans, and about 15-20 to the rear suspension. That's roughly the weight of the stock back seat, so...

Screw a dyno competition! Finish your car and let's have a contest for lightest 1200.   :rofl:

• Like 1

KiloTango1200, on 17 Mar 2014 - 9:16 PM, said:snapback.png

Power to weight ratio is critical. That's why I am going to put a CA18DET in my 1200 Coupe. A 1600 pound car with a reasonable 250hp from the motor with a power to weight ratio of 6.4 lb per hp. 

There's been talk of "put it on a dyno and prove it", I'm going to have to say "put it on a scale and prove it".   ^_^

A 1200 is right around 1600 pounds stock, and you''ll be adding at least 150~ pounds of drivetrain, so... 

I know you'll have no real interior to speak of (which doesn't weigh much in a 1200 anyway), and some "organic lightening", but do you really think it'll hit 1600? There's also the weight of you to consider, which is admittedly less for you than it is me, but...   :rofl:

My coupe has basically everything that came in one stock (minus the back seat) and I'll be amazed if it can go below 1600 pounds. I added maybe 15-20 pounds to the engine/trans, and about 15-20 to the rear suspension. That's roughly the weight of the stock back seat, so...

Screw a dyno competition! Finish your car and let's have a contest for lightest 1200.   :rofl:

The Gauntlet has been thrown down!!!

spotted in my driveway, 

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

anybody have experiences with these???

2.6 4cy, auto

I had one in an 88 Isuzu pickup 4x4. Stump pulling torque. The truck had a 5 speed manual but the overall package is very similar. TOUGH, TOUGH, TOUGH truck!!! Took everything I could throw at it. Bought it new and drove the hell out of it. Had to replace the coil and the fuel pump and that's it. Dumb Ass Me, I didn't replace the timing belt and it broke at 400,000 miles. I drive a lot. Do regular maint and it will serve you well.

456930_390951930930428_185911821_o_zps57[/url]