STUDS OF DEATH

that one guy

Ok, not studs, but bolts. Head bolts to be specific.

I've gotten exactly 2 out, and the rest are stuck. And i mean stuck. I rounded off 3 allen wrenchs, and even snapped one in half.

I need to get them out to remove the head, but only because I need the block in good condition, the head is toast.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

are the bolts rounded out? If not time to get a 10mm Allen socket, and not from harbor freight. Maybe put the two back in and run the motor til hot and then try to remove. I fear you are more likely to snap off the bolts in the block.worst comes to worse, you could grind the heads off the bolts take the head off and double vise grip the bolts and use lots of on blaster down the threads. Just some brainstorming...

are the bolts rounded out? If not time to get a 10mm Allen socket, and not from harbor freight. Maybe put the two back in and run the motor til hot and then try to remove. I fear you are more likely to snap off the bolts in the block.worst comes to worse, you could grind the heads off the bolts take the head off and double vise grip the bolts and use lots of on blaster down the threads. Just some brainstorming...

I second the thought of cutting tops off if heads are toast

and double vise grip

you can also heat the block with a torch to expand just dont get stupid and turn it red hot

Advance, Napa, Autozone, O'Reillys

Whoever is convenient.

~10$

Snapped allen wrench?

Reverse bit and/or backout bit set.

these are all things you should have in a datto tool kit :poke:

I've never removed and replaced stuff on a datsun without breaking something. Factory hardware is pretty weak.

I'm really good at removing broken bolts now.

I just did my head. They're in there real good at 60lbs. I actually broke a 3/8ths extension off in my 10mm hex socket :rofl:

No to those places. Napa, sears maybe even lows for the kobalt line. Good tools don't break. I have yet to break one of my Allen keys and I have wailed on them. I use a napa hex socket for my head bolts.

Cheap tools come back to bite you.

I'll admit I have the harbor freight ones since I don't use them often. Never rounded or broke anything off. But if I already f'd up some stuff, I'd get some craftsman at least. Although, they are probably made from the same plant in china these days.

That's back when a tool was naturally expected to last a lifetime. Everything is about cheaper cost and that can only mean cheaper materials and processes to do that. Today we've been trained to not expect things to last. Cell phones, cars, furniture,

I bought a Kobalt bit, they only come in 3/8th's, and a 3/8th to 1/2 adapter and got all of them out but the one a snapped the previous allen wrench off in and one more that stripped out. Time to cut the heads off and vice grip dem bitches out o.O

Dream on. You just used cheap Allen wrenches. Vice grips are never going to work on a round bolt head. If you used a 4' bar how are vice grips going to improve on that? Get a good socket and the bolt will shear off before it will break. Snap them all off and slide the head up and off.

Dream on. You just used cheap Allen wrenches. Vice grips are never going to work on a round bolt head. If you used a 4' bar how are vice grips going to improve on that? Get a good socket and the bolt will shear off before it will break. Snap them all off and slide the head up and off.

I don't want the head, the block is more important. Plus, once I cut the heads off the bolts and slide the head off, I can put some liquid wrench on em. And if that fails to work, I have a bunch of scrap metal tubing that I can weld onto the stud and get it out that way.

The problem i was running into before buying the new bit was rounding out the allen wrench. No idea what brand or anythign, just found it laying around and it was the right size...