Not quite the normal Datsun

Hung out with a friend, Chad the builder of the famous SR-drift 620 king cab.

Had an extra fender that he needed to replace one of his war torn fenders so we met for some coffee and Japanese food. Talked for a good hour or so about a bunch of dumb, life stuff. I wanted to avoid asking questions about the truck, because I know he gets a lot of questions, and I don't want to be one of those dicks that goes on and on about it :poke: Still managed to get some cool secrets out of him though :thumbup:

Thought you guys might enjoy some pics.

BTW, yes he has no bed on. Probably due to the fact that he has a radiator at the back, and the bed off to access the fuel pumps he's been having issues with. Remember, this is a race truck.

Back on topic, the trucks cool as hell. Everything is 100% well done and home brewed awesomeness. A 620 on an S14 sub frame with Z32 brakes, and ALL the goodies. Oh and did I mention it's RHD?

8034193831_6107dabf2c_b.jpg

_DSC0152 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8034194281_65f88cd129_b.jpg

_DSC0148 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8034195190_bc134545a6_b.jpg

_DSC0143 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8034194719_1c806e125a_b.jpg

_DSC0141 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8034193961_c95e046fd6_b.jpg

_DSC0150 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8034194445_3e0394f56d_b.jpg

_DSC0145 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

This is where the truck gets unusually cool. It's got it's very own mascot. Petey the drift pigeon! A good luck charm of sorts. Be sure to like him on Facebook!

8034194740_5fc1280d90_b.jpg

_DSC0149 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8034193665_e34971b83e_b.jpg

_DSC0155 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

After a few hours, we headed out, but not before Chad stuffed the fender he came for in the passenger (usually what we call the driver) seat and cuddled into the cage next to it.

Funniest part of the day.

Chad starts his pre-drive procedures.

-Turn on IGN

-Turn on Fan

-Turn on Fuel pumps

-Start Engine

-Put on steering wheel

-Light cigar

^^Badass

8034193531_dea3b0e058_b.jpg

_DSC0161 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I needed to see was that Hydraulic E-Brake.

Ultra cool truck. Had no Idea that guy was local.

Me either, until I found videos of him drifting in ATL.

The E-brake he said is okay. But overall he said he hates the braking system. It had no vacuum assist so it's all pure pedal effort on his part.

E-brake is good enough to do this though!

7-L.jpg

cool !! looks like he put some time into it.

thanks for sharing

Is the engine moved over to the passengers side quite a bit ?

:thumbup:

looks like it! Doesn't surprise me, since he had to make room for the RHD parts. With no brake/clutch master and steering linkage on the other side, he had plenty of room to keep it to the side.

Im not a fan of the hella flush movement sooo Im not diggin the wide ass rims and tires, However!!! that is a badass truck, great craftsmanship!!

Dude,

no hellaflush here! This truck is a track/only truck. It actually broke down on the way home. Never really liked the street.

As far as the wide rims and camber, more rubber=more traction which equals more response and better handling. Camber? Simple, at full lock, the tires are flat hugging the track, and the truck has so much control it's crazy. When drifting, it's all cornering so that's where you need the most traction.

All pure function here :thumbup:

Don't get me started....

If you want to drift I say go for it. Calling it a race is, well, I just lultz. A race is usually won by the first person over the finish line. Winners are usually easy to determine. Just like ballroom dancing, gymnastics and figure skating, drifting is a competition where the 'winner' is judged on stylized moves. Oh, and on tire smoke. So everyone sees it differently because it's so subjective. (90% of American Idol audiences also enjoyed watching drift competitions) Gee, hold me back. :sick:

This is an interesting purpose built truck and no doubt Chad is enjoying himself....

8034193531_dea3b0e058_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have some young guys down the street from my sign shop in Ontario CA that run a place called Tarmac Garage. Those crazy bastards can straight drive. Once in a while they are out w/ a Turboed 240SX, or an LS powered RX-7.....really fun to watch. We also have a local place called Adams Motorsports Park in Riverside and they tear that place up too. I'd bet money that most of these drifters could both literally and figuratively drive circles around the haters, in either a drift, or road course situation, whatever the disipline. Takes some balls and no doubt a lot of equipment to get proficient. Looks like fun to me and i'm OLD.

Cool 620 as far as i can see, although a damn aluminum radiator in the bed might look a million times better instead of that stockish model T looking thing, lol. (Post edit) I see it HAS an aluminum radiator in the back. My bad. I guess im used to seeing radiators more wide than tall when used that way, like crossflow late model ones.

Tim