KA E vs. DE in 620

metalmonkey47

A friend of mine has got me contemplating a KA swap in my truck that we can do after we finish up with an RB swap in his 240.

I have the option of getting a worn out KA-E for next to nothing that I can rebuild, or I can spend up a little and get the KA-DE. The real question is, would it really be worth going with the KA-DE over the KA-E?

To those that have done it, are there any important issues that have come up during a swap that would be easier handled ahead of time? This is my DD so I want to get it knocked out ASAP. This won't be for a few months, but if I'm gonna do it I want to start pulling together parts soon so I can get my planning done.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Truck KA-Es are much lighter than car Es. Car Es or DEs oil pans won't clear the truck steering/crossmember. The Truck Es oil pans won't fit the car motors because of the crank girdle. Maybe they can be hammered out? Nis720? has an E in his truck or maybe a truck E with 240sx intake?

I have an E and a DE and really both are way better than the L, not that L's are bad. You really can't go wrong either way. The E allows a bit more room in the engine bay.

If you are using a car motor you will have to filp the center link. You will need to modify the motor mount brackets, or maybe get a set from me depending on your fab capabilities. They are fairly easy to modify, but do require a bit of work and a welder.

I would suggest reading through the threads here on this swap and purchasing all the extraneous parts before you even start. Fuel pump, fuel line, get some factory nissan high pressure fuel clamps from the junkyard, Z2X series transmission (unless you plan to use the 240 one), relays, fuse panel, and all the other little stuff mentioned in the swap threads. Read up on the electrical portion as well. Be prepared to spend some time on the swap as well.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

ANY engine with 3-valves or 4-valves per cylinder is way better than the same size engine with only 2 valves/cylinder.

don't forget the KA24I, you can get those cheap from newer Hardbody trucks.

[edit: Correction: I was thinking Z24I, KA didn't come in a throttle-body injection version as far as I know]

Edited by ggzilla

I just picked up a ka24i apparently (thought it it was an e) but don't know what the differences in an i and e are. They look very similar. Furthermore, I can't figure out what it came out of. I was told a '97 hardbody but others disagree. BTW, Oil pan definitely look to be an issue.

Sure its not a z24i, which is throttle body injected like the vg30i? The ka24e/de are multipoint injection. I dont believe a ka24i existed from the factory. The TBI makes less power and the TBI sensors like the mafs are like hens teeth to find. Though it would be the better choice for someone wanting to run a carb conversion.

The z24i came in the d21 and pathys from 86 until I believe 90 then it was all multipoint efi.

Me personally if I was going through the trouble of a swap I would get rid of the 109hp z24i and get a ka24de. Why bother going through the trouble otherwise. A person can get that power (and more) from an L easily...

I think calling it a KA24i is wrong. The i designator is for throttle body injection which this motor never was. It has multi-port injection just like the 240sx but the throttle body is mounted vertical instead of horizontal. All 12 valve KA24s were KA24E.

This is most certainly an E

36631_3703576680059_2070695120_n.jpg

Yes ka24e, as said there is no ka24i. You can see the line of injectors even...

I hate that intake though, try and pick up a s13 intake for performance and aesthetics sake.

No problem, now you can correct them. The '87-'89 WD-21s had VG30i motors yet the D-21s did not. Might have been the last throttle body injection I haven't checked.

Sure they did Mike, I owned one lol. d21's came vg30i up to 90. I too believe that was the end of TBI.