Silky's L20B Goon Build

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, my reply timed out so retype time.

FWIW, I've always used a small,amount of silicone sealant round the circumference of the plugs prior to seating in the block. Shouldn't have to I know, but, never had a problem with coolant seepage using this method. To scared to not do this now less I jinx myself.

I mainly use brass plugs as that is predominately what they sell over here.

+1 on the Antifreeze as well.

Cheers

Jason

im with rat wagon i used a little right stuff ....i dont know why i never have had a freeze plug weep let alone all of them.. makes me think there the wrong size....there a milimeter plug i believe

insthere oneonthe back of the block under the tranny...that one would suck to have leaking

Nope.

So it looks like you got lucky and I didn't. I used brass plugs, no sealant. I figured by the way that they went in there wouldn't be a chance that anything would be able to get by. Oh well. The build was starting to get too good to be true.

I'm gonna wait a few weeks so I can recover from the build. I've got a feeling that if I tore right back into it I would do a haphazard job. I want to be patient when doing this stuff. Anyway, in a couple of weeks, I'll see how hard it is to replace the plugs with the engine mounted, and then I'll use a little sealant for the new plugs. What did you use Jason? Blue RTV like everything else?

Cheers. Don't drink any Foster's...

im with rat wagon i used a little right stuff ....i dont know why i never have had a freeze plug weep let alone all of them.. makes me think there the wrong size....there a milimeter plug i believe

insthere oneonthe back of the block under the tranny...that one would suck to have leaking

The one on the back is above the crank. I'm just going to pretend that it doesn't exist, because pulling apart the engine and tranny, and then putting them back together was the hardest part of this build :D

The one on the back is above the crank. I'm just going to pretend that it doesn't exist, because pulling apart the engine and tranny, and then putting them back together was the hardest part of this build :D

I pretended like it didnt exist when I took it to the machine shop. Figure it would get clean enough with all the other plugs out when they hot tanked it. I never did replace that plug...

what ..... what plug ... i never asked about a plug back there... what are u talking about...shhhhhhhhh

i like how you took all the various input from everybody ,, and actually applied it without ,,ignoring , or down right blowing them off which i have seen alot of on here lately...There is so many really knowledgeable people on here that wanna help and you used them to your advantage to git-er done .. :thumbup:

B)

• Like 1

banana just wants to get thanked......andrew thank u for being u....love u man...

.silky is a cool guy and a very pleasureable person to sell too......glad to met him, his pretty wife and a beautiful dog.....showed up when he said ....was mellow and asked all his questions before driving up....i knew the motor wsa in good hands.... then i saw his sick ass goon.....and it all made sense...lol..

i like how you took all the various input from everybody ,, and actually applied it without ,,ignoring , or down right blowing them off which i have seen alot of on here lately...There is so many really knowledgeable people on here that wanna help and you used them to your advantage to git-er done .. :thumbup:

B)

Thanks. I find it hilarious when the pros get blown off on here. It's like, how many times do you want to do a job before you get it right? For me, I had one chance to get it right. There is and was no margin for error. For the record, I read hundreds of posts on here for about a year before I ever got the courage up to post anything!

banana just wants to get thanked......andrew thank u for being u....love u man...

.silky is a cool guy and a very pleasureable person to sell too......glad to met him, his pretty wife and a beautiful dog.....showed up when he said ....was mellow and asked all his questions before driving up....i knew the motor wsa in good hands.... then i saw his sick ass goon.....and it all made sense...lol..

While I won't post pictures of my wife for the pedo bears, I will post pictures of our dog! His name is Ciccio (I used to travel a lot to Rome, once for a period of 6 months). He's still a puppy at about 1 year old now. Everyone asks what he is, but we don't really know. We were told Lhasa terrier mix. He looks like a small Wheaten terrier with a tail.

Ciccio1.jpg

Well i did tell him to mark and bag stuff to keep from losing things...did he lose anything ?? well then ,,, your welcome.

:lol:

Well................

I did mark and bag the stuff that I needed to mark and bag. I obviously didn't put the fuel pump in a bag that said "fuel pump." You should have seen the floor of my garage. It's no small wonder that I could ever find a 12mm socket during my build. The garage is still a mess. This Saturday is garage clean up day. I'm not particularly proud of my organizational skills on this build, but I was in a hurry because my father-in-law's '89 Ranger was about to bite it.

Thanks. I find it hilarious when the pros get blown off on here. It's like, how many times do you want to do a job before you get it right? For me, I had one chance to get it right. There is and was no margin for error. For the record, I read hundreds of posts on here for about a year before I ever got the courage up to post anything!

The garage is still a mess. This Saturday is garage clean up day. I'm not particularly proud of my organizational skills on this build, but I was in a hurry because my father-in-law's '89 Ranger was about to bite it.

pros like d mike, hainz, wayno, ggzilla are invaluable to us ratsuners....we all owe everyone a beer..they seen it all and ut our hearts at rest...

..thats the way my projects go every day or two i gotta stop and reorganize my mess so i can find shit i need to use....it happens to every one .. what i hate is the inevitable road test and two minutes into your highway run you here clink clank bing bang ... as your elusive ten millimeter hand wrench falls from its under hood perch and out the back of your car at 65....arghhhhh.....

• Like 1

It never ends. Now I'm getting coolant leaking into the cab from the heater inlet and outlet. I figure that since I finally got a good, non-leaking radiator, the system is finally pressurizing to whatever PSI it should be at, which is sending the leak to the next weakest spot. For me, it's the heater.

The good news is that I have a tub with two whole 510 heater units in my garage. I'm going to get one rebuilt and ready to plug in. In the meantime, I think I'm just going to put rubber caps on the water outlet on the head and on the inlet by the water pump. My heater has never put out any noticeable heat anyway, so at least I can stop the leak until I get the system rebuilt. Plug it up!

And for Jrock, you can say bye-bye to my "chrome" interior on the driver's side for now. Everywhere else in the car, I used Lowe's equivalent to Peel & Seal, and I love the stuff. When I did the driver's side floor, I just ran to Home Depot to get what I thought was the same thing. I hate the Home Depot stuff. Long story short - I've got coolant under the Home Depot insulation. I'm not looking forward to tearing it all up. Passenger side is fine.

u know what they say ...if it dont go ... chrome it.......me i know you rbudgets tight but i would just buy a new heater core....i would hate to change it twice or three times.... one a nd done... sometimes leaks appear from over tightenin the lines under hood... but it would have to wick a long way bac inside the cab ....just buy a fresh heater core...sell the other ones on here to recoup ....

my heater line cracked in the inside. pass side. it was a slow leak when it pressized.

I had spare heater hoses and used the 90 elbow end of the hose(cut it off and worked).

The lady at the part sore cound find the little 90 deg elbow on the microfish. I have multiple sapre hoses anyways. Best for you to buy them also.

B7021-A0800 long

B7020-A0800 heater to head S shape

also if you think your heater isnt working go to the driver side and make sure the valve is open with your hand. Sometimes the cabel can not pull it fully open. or the MOFO leak more!!!!!!!

a heater will help keep a newer motor cooler if you keep it on.

thread needs more pics lol

Too right!

But these aren't fun oics. I went to Portland Community College Southeast Center this morning to take the Law School Application Test. I'd rather be working on my car or organizing my garage, but it is what it is. Apparently someone wanted to open their door into my driver's side rear door in the parking lot. I guess this is my punishment for having a daily driver. I didn't notice it until I got home :hmm:

DSCN1487.jpg

And here are some photos of my heater travesty. Notice the diaper. There ain't much to see at this point as I have bee swapping up the mess.

DSCN1488.jpg

DSCN1489.jpg

DSCN1490.jpg

That valve's a gonner. I'm gonna do the rebuild as prescribed by MicroMachinery in the how to section.

also if you think your heater isnt working go to the driver side and make sure the valve is open with your hand. Sometimes the cabel can not pull it fully open. or the MOFO leak more!!!!!!!

I'm afraid that opening it by hand started the leak this time around. I was like, "cold enough morning for heat?" So I opened up the valve and that's when it all broke loose.

I'm going to cap the inlet and outlet off for now, hopefully get the heater rebuilt in a couple of weeks and then put it back in. I gotta keep this running as it's my *only set of wheels.

Ah! And here's a photo of the radiator clearance:

DSCN1491.jpg

I need to paint up my grill again, but it looks kinda cool from the front too.

DSCN1494.jpg

get a paintless dent guy to take out that dent....shoudl cost about 75 bucks....then gets some mek soak a rag...... quickly and lightly wipe the paint transfer off.....dont go to town u will wipe some green off but u dont wanna wipe alot of green off....the transfer should come off quickly..... a little rubbing ccompound and it will be brand new....might wipe the paint transfer off before the pdr guy so he can see the repair better....

lawyer huh...most of ratsu couldnt benefit from one at somepoint or another

dude u got sighted congrats on the freeway flyer... looks good..

I am slowly being initiated into Ratsun: engine rebuild, posts in now locked threads, one of a kind title (sucks), and now I've been spotted. I guess I only need to show up the the Beaverton meet now?

That picture was pretty cool. It was also very flattering in the morning light. My car was just sitting and getting dirty while I was building on the new engine. After I put it all together, I still haven't got a chance to wash it, and it looks nasty in daylight...