Oldtimers rallycar - Datsun 1500 Pickup (620) 1979

Aibast

large_27551899_PCmF.jpg

did some work again. Got the rear ligths cables but in side the frame. A friend - whos garage I'm using and who is helping me will do the rear lights. He will be a navigator with me. So I have a co-driver who is a policeman (traffic accident investigator). This guy has seen enough bad things to make your stomick turn for hours.

You can see the cables exiting fromt he frames rear end.

large_27551897_tLpl.jpg

I installed the underdash elektrics, and the dash itselt. Started on the floormats. Got the fan and wipers working properly again. Restoresd the cabeling to original state. To give me some idea of what goes where.

PS. The red button on the dash replasing the sigarette lighter is the cars start button.

Did the rear brakes. The andjusters where seased up with rust. But 15min with a blowtorch and they opened up. Treated them with graphite grease.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

large_27558211_fvxZ.jpg

Rear lights and license plate in the metal framework. Everything is now hooked up. Got the hazards and sidemarkers working.

large_27558213_DjGQ.jpg

The seat is in, mounted the seatbelts. I still need to do one center clamp for the belts. Changed out the fusebox. Now I need to make a proper mount for it.

How is life with a long bed? Mine is more or less streight, the frames are in realy good condition considering the salt cars get in here in the winter time. The bed itself has some frames rusted trough, but not very bad. As I work in a concrete product company I'll be using my car also as a transport trucks for small elements like planters, dustbins and so on. That's why I'll be replacing the original @ some point with a flatbed so I can get cargo on from the sides with a forklift.

well got the interior all ready

this is what it looked like when I got the car

large_27233497_BYMh.jpg

this is now

large_27575299_I04K.jpg

Well did some other things:

new shocks

large_27575293_df0s.jpg

and lower mounts

large_27575295_n9dO.jpg

this is the rear lights cable exit also you can see new leafspring clamp.

large_27575305_liHy.jpg

this is where I'm going next

large_27575307_A3cu.jpg

• Like 1

waiting for my new M+S tyres - Barum SnoVanis 185 R14C

http://www.barum-online.com/generator/www/de/en/barum/tires/themes/winter-tires/snovanis/snovanis-en.html

I hope these will give me some traction in snow and in summer time on gravel and mud.

Also got new exhaust tubing, still need to rent a tubebender.

The exhaust will be small  40mm outer diameter and 2mm wallthicknes. I think it will last a while.

Didn't want to go bigger than stock so I wouldn't loose exhaust gas impuls and give me good low end torque. As its more needed than highrev hp.

today got a new muffler for the exhaust and but on a new copper fueline from the tank to under the hood. The exit is next to clutch silinder. To that a piece on fuel line rubber tube + a filter + tube to the fuelpump. Removed the carb and cleaned it all up.Took it to pieces to properly clean the insides. Made a new throttle cable from a bicycle brake cable. Lubed the joints on the carb.

Adjusted the cars doors to give more stress to new door seals. So they'll sit nice and flush.

Removed the old oil from the engine. Need to get a new oilfilter, but Audi 80's one goes on there, so thats just droping by a parts store. What came out was horrid black tar like crap. Got new BP mineral 10W40 oil waiting. But everyting seams to work on the engine. The inlet manifold was realy clean. one of the cleanest I've seen for  a long time. It tells me that valves seal properly and doesn't have any timing or blowby issues. Spark blugs are so old they are beginning to rust, but burn color was spot on perfect. Going to change the plugs for new ones, also the ditributer cap and rotor, new spark cables to.

My friend will fix the gastank and make a proper protection for it. 20x20mm tubing frame under it + a skidplate. Then the exhaust and after that I can drive the car a bit. Turn it around on its own power. Can chenc ke brakes, and engine frod leaks.

Checked over the front brakes. There are new brake pads and the brake rotors are in good shape, just need to be bleed properly. No play in the steering :)so no need for new tie rod ends and other stuff. Front shocks are also good.

Its -12 C in here outside @ moment so need to get proper -36C coolant for the engine.

The rear differential now has had its new oil in it for about 2 weeks. No leaks what so ever :) Damn happy with that.

Now no work from 22nd dets. to 7th of jan. hope to get a lot of things done over the holidays. Hoped to get the car ready enough to get some xmas trees, but didn't work out. Have to get them with my 850 again this year.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/46115082

This was last year :)

Got a new oilcap for the engine, original got busted when opening. Someone has had some fun with it. It didn't move @ all, finaly when I got it open useing pliers and so on, then the metal insert thats between a spring and the caps bottom had moved to one side and torn the caps lower half open and releasing the spring. That got stuck with rest of the valvecover.

That was Jimmy Conner. My first truck was one He added accessories to supplement His racing. He lives in Lake Havasu City, AZ. I have not been able to track Him down though. The pushbar was made by House Of Steel in El Cajon, California. Those wheels were Tacomas that were made in My hometown of Escondido, California. Notice the headlight covers. I made a pair out of fiberglass sheet and used upholstery snaps to hold them on.

datMytruckpreSS.jpg

Mikes620front1975_zpsacf4406d.jpg

These photos were taken in 1974 and 1975. I enlarged the pic quite a bit to show the headlight covers I made. That is the only view I have of it. Notice in the top photo the CRE sticker on the front fender. The same sticker is on Jimmy's race truck above the front side marker light.

Made some changes to logos, and made new print files in Corel. Took me a "lot" of time, whole 4 minutes :thumbup: . So all in vector graphics ready for print.

Here is a preview pic of decals pack.

orig_27628249_IyNx.jpg

If you need some of these files let me know via PM

• Like 2

tried on the car today Mazda B2000 steelies, well they work :). Now got a second set of steel wheels. I can take on the rally with me two spare wheels.

The fueltank is now repaired and has new heavy-duty brackets holding it to the car. Just needs a protective paint cover.

A bit off topic, but still a bit connected to Datsun. I wanted this year to get my xmas trees with the Datsun, but didn't have enough time to finish it by christmas. Well had to use my R again to drive 7km to woods on a road used only by 4x4 and tractors. Some game hunters use the place for hunting for boar and elk.

There wheren't a lot of snow this year. Only about 20 cm. Didn't get stuck at all. Some snow blew over the bonnet and some you can see is stuck on the bumper. Did skid over some places with the cars bottom, but still went on strong. Had to play with throttle a lot not to spin the wheels to much. As it would have just dug deep into packed snow.

large_27633363_c0T1.jpg

large_27633361_SG9k.jpg

1km hike on foot in snow to my land. Good to have some land where to get at least some xmas trees. Only 4 this year.

218521713e0234_l.jpg

finaly did something on the car. Changed the oil. What came out was black as night but still flowed nicely. In went BP's 10W40 mineral oil. Made a new oilcap. Original was uselessly twisted.

Waiting on my ordered goods - outside sealer/paint for the fueltank, fuel filters, 1 working light for lighting up the truck bed and two 180mm round lights (Ring Rally Giant)  for additional lighting for the nightime roads.

ring-rally-giant-driving-lamps-per-pair-

These will be mounted behind the cab on the safety bar.

Got a box of goodies  :thumbup:

large_27653815_ouTP.jpg

Spotlights, one worklight for the truckbed, paint for a gastank, gastank repair butty, exhaust assembly paste.

And my little devil got a box to play in 

large_27653813_Mhmz.jpg

got the exhaust done. just need to seal up and clamp the connection. The whole exhaust is in 2 parts. From manifold to the muffler. And the rear part with a muffler.

All bent from straigth pipe all in one piece without any welds. You can see the old exhaust on the frame. Used that to bent the part thats under  body.

Also but on the fueltank and everything is now connected. Just some minor things, fuel and its time for a startup.

Sorry for the callphone pic. Left my DSLR home.

large_27659331_JOJ7.jpg