Draker's old Blue 71 KA 510 Goon - SOLD

Draker

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp, didn't do much today. Still raining, brain still hurting.. But I did get out in the garage to take a few pictures of some parts. Figured while I was out there I'd snap a few of my other love.

Here she is.. been sleeping here since late summer/fall.

DSC_0918_zpsfff1a0ff.jpg

DSC_0917_zps3f98322d.jpg

So I ordered the lower perch rings from T3. $10.. no big deal. $7 for shipping, which is pretty steep but I paid it. Got his in the mail today.

2013-01-29_08-45-32_621_zps36e9e323.jpg

This shit pisses me off. It's like when your shopping on ebay and sellers try to get you with a low buy it now and try to make all their money in shipping. I was thinking about emailing him and expressing my displeasure..  That shit just bugs me. It's partially my fault cause I should have ordered these with my camber plates and then I wouldn't have had this issue.

oh so u have bought from me before on ebay huh?

"u know envelopes cost money ,  plus i got to get it there...plus u want your shit packaged nice not just slapped a stamp on it ad drop it in the local blue box...right?"

shit this isn't my ebay feedback inbox

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like these struts are not actually 280zx struts at all. Thanks for DTP for confirming part numbers for the 280zx struts. I believe these are actually for a 200sx. I will be aborting these struts and getting some 280zx.

If anyone is interested in these struts I've got the hubs, brakes, and rotors for these as well. I just chopped off the lower perches which I still have. Will put everything up in the for sale section sooner or later. I'll post up the part numbers as well for those interested. If anyone...

For the record:

S12 200SX Strut P/N's

Passenger Side:

54302-06F00

4 7 1 1

Driver Side

54303-04F02

5 3 2 3

280ZX(Thanks DTP)

Passenger Side:

54303-P6500
TOKICO 9 6 8

Driver Side:

54302-P6500
TOKICO 9 6 8

Spent the day working on something other than suspension since I'm basically going to start over with different struts.

I decided to take a look a little deeper into the power plant and see what I'm working with here. I already know the head has a few valves that leak on the intake side. They might not be bad enough address since the leak down was when the engine was ice cold. I would suspect the leak down would get better after the engine has ran for a while and is nice and warm. I know I am going to re-gasket the engine but I've got a few other decisions I'm trying to make.

Should I do a full refresh of the engine?

Is it cost effective right now?

I don't have any compression numbers.. leak downs are marginal and most leaks like I said appear to be at the intake valves.

Anyway, today I pulled the oil pan and look a look at the main bearings. Thinking of it now, I should have probably looked at the rod bearings too.. but I figured it's not the last time I'll have it torn down. I was also thinking should I remove the head and have the valves lapped?

Here is the current main bearing data:

Spec: .020 - .047mm

#1 .038

#2 .038

#3 .044

#4 .038

#5 .038

Crankshaft end play: Spec .002 - .0071 (in)

Before I disassembled it .007 after I put it back together .003. Not sure how that happened.

It's obvious this engine has some wear on it. I don't know how many miles exactly but the measurements are still in spec. Some very close to being over the limit though. It's mainly that #3 causing the issue here(thrust bearing).

Here are some visuals to go along with all this text.

DSC_0911_zps1e94d307.jpg

DSC_0921_zps666d6d53.jpg

DSC_0912_zps2dc88c28.jpg

DSC_0922_zps58478238.jpg

DSC_0913_zps5db8e11e.jpg

DSC_0923_zpsbeb4d4cd.jpg

DSC_0914_zpse08fa85b.jpg

DSC_0924_zps249ee4ff.jpg

DSC_0915_zps57c6b291.jpg

DSC_0925_zpsee2efe70.jpg

If I did a fill refresh I'd be looking at:

Gasket kit $150

Bearings $110

Rings $100

Valve work $$?

Something is telling me I should just finish inspecting the rod bearings.. pull the pistons and measure everything else out.. then if nothing looks too bad, just call it a day..

Wow solid research work there .... Tough call on the rebuild.. I have run some warn out mills in my day the thig that always set the rebuilds in motion were the motor smoking..... I can live with burning a little oil and beig a little rattles in the head but the second I see smoke I know it time to tear into her..... If it were me I would leave it mock everything up get it in the ad a me runable.... Start her up maybe drive her and see what she does if its bad then we all are good enough a what we do.... Pull it back out and throw some parts and machine work at it .. Me personally would hold out for a dohc but the one I got is yet to be cracked open....I'm hoping as I'm sure u are that it's a serviceable unit that will work for now till a real rebuild

Yeah, I don't have any doubt this engine will run. I know the mains are worn but good. I'll probably like I said measure the rest of it out just to make sure there isn't going to be any funky sounds. Based on the leak down I don't suspect it will smoke or use oil. Just lower compression numbers if anything.

I would love to go with a DOHC engine.. if I could source one I would just go with that. It's only like 15 more HP though. But yeah, I'll run this unit until something better comes up. I'll probably just buy the engine gasket it and tear this thing all the way down clean it up and put it back together with new gaskets. OEM gaskets are running $150. I thought I found a VR kit for $100.. might just do that. I like the comfort of OEM though.

This isn't much of an update.. I would call it more of a do-over.

280ZX struts courtesy of DTP:

DSC_0920_zpscef98253.jpg

Started to tear them down but realized I don't have a spring compressor here. Will take them to work and use the pneumatic compressor.
DSC_0924_zpsda6382d9.jpg

You should just use the wall method... I need another set of 280zx struts as well, that project might take me a little longer though. 

It's okay, I gotta bring them to work to cut the perches off and shorten them anyway. I am hoping I can get them modded and ready to ship this week.

Ship?-Jrock?

Ill have a bunch of work to do to mine... the work isnt the hard part, its the parts I need to add to the struts. Which kind of suck because I already have 280zx struts with coils on them; guess I need to sell these too haha. 

Where u shipping them too

123 Jrock Ave

• Like 1

Took the day off work and went golfing. Very nice quiet day and no rain, woo hoo!

After I got done went to work but just spent the time in the shop working on my struts.

2013-02-11_17-00-24_785_zpsb03c5cb4.jpg

I am wondering though.. is there any money in the left over parts? Are the top hats or springs desirable, or are they just scrap?

2013-02-11_16-59-38_20_zps374d620b.jpg

This isn't much of an update.. I would call it more of a do-over.

280ZX struts courtesy of DTP:

Started to tear them down but realized I don't have a spring compressor here. Will take them to work and use the pneumatic compressor.

noice .. ! you don't fool around Draker :thumbup: