72' KA24DE Wagon Daily Driver

Chains were all set right. Considering how smooth it idles in safe mode and how I can rev it to the moon without anything sounding like it's gonna break I don't think mechanical timing is off. Cams were in their respective TDC positions along with the idler sprocket when I redid the bolt's helicoil. 

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a diagnostic cable and associated software? It might be useful to get live data from the engine as it's running to see what might be throwing it off. If your sensors are reading funky it might not be too evident if the ecu isn't throwing codes. Generally diag cables can be had on ebay for cheap and software should be easy enough to get online. Even a demo will get you by most of the time. I've got some software for the Z32 that might work. 

• 4 weeks later...

I suggest u replace all seals to injectors, if injectors are working properly, i messed up all my ka injector seals, when i replaced them i used vaseline and they popped right in place, the slightest crack in a seal will throw everything off, check ur oil for gas

Injectors were working fine and are untouched from the rebuild. Didn't even remove them from the fuel rail. They are all firing properly. 

Hmm...I want a wagon.

Trade me something RHD!

:(

after all that work...... 

Just a thought.. We'll see how I feel when she's back on the road. Still needs so much work, really not looking forward to trans tunnel surgery to get her to an appropriate ride height. 

is there gas in your oil?

Nope. I just got a new knock sensor and O2 sensor on it, haven't had a chance to test the car yet though. Knock sensor had a huge crack in the plastic housing from when I put it back on, never paid much attention to it but several people said that could pull timing (that's what the car is doing) 

dang, that sucks, took me a few weeks to get mine to run, actually today is the 1st day its ran nice, when gunning it, shifting into 2nd gear has alot of tire spin, even 3rd gear chirps. worth all the trouble, any little thing throws off the performance of the ka engines, but the most common issues are injectors

ill be reading up on this, thats such a sexy wagon

Thanks dude! Once she's back up expect big things... going a lot lower, crazy exhaust setup, getting ready for a full paintjob. Turbo, when funds and time allows assuming I actually get her on the road! 

dang, that sucks, took me a few weeks to get mine to run, actually today is the 1st day its ran nice, when gunning it, shifting into 2nd gear has alot of tire spin, even 3rd gear chirps. worth all the trouble, any little thing throws off the performance of the ka engines, but the most common issues are injectors

ill be reading up on this, thats such a sexy wagon

• Like 2

Hey Dakota.......been trollin'......sucks it's not running right.....

......you've probably checked but I don't recall anyone mentioning a vacuum leak.......

If you have access to a smoke machine it's real quick to look for and super accurate.........

Great build!!

Good luck........

........can't say I wouldn't love to own this....

It's a Bad ASS goon!!

......and then this....vv

Thanks dude! Once she's back up expect big things... going a lot lower, crazy exhaust setup, getting ready for a full paintjob. Turbo, when funds and time allows assuming I actually get her on the road! 

....oh man!!

YVF5WCn.jpg

Still working on it. Thinking about selling it if I'm ever able to figure out why it doesn't want to run right... 

oops sorry not update ut was in this thread.....

For sure! Tomorrow I'm planning to button her up, charge up the battery and test her out... 

I've now replaced: 

ECU

MAF

Coolant Temp Sensor

Knock Sensor 

O2 Sensor

Wiring harness

:P

this list aint near long enough for me to consider selling a project i vested this much time in......... i hope he keepsit or gives it to u

Dude......it's probably something simple......you've checked all the complicated shit....go back to basics.....powers and grounds....vacuum leaks.....you've checked timing.....

Bad or lack of a ground can cause absolute hell.....

My girl had a CRV that drove me crazy......would run GREAT for a week or two then die and won't start up.....and if it did start up....it acted like the timing was backwards or some shit.....backfiring from the intake.....exhaust....bucking......get it to the shop....starts up and runs GREAT for the next two weeks.....after months found a ground wire broken under the intake while I was doing a routine oil change.......never had an issue again....

.............ain't that some shit.....

bustas right ... i just had a similar situation stump me and a second set of eyes swung by and helped me see what i was obviously just over looking ...boom purs like a kitten...just remember the solution is always the last thing u look at !!

• Like 1