The Odd Job, my 1969 510 Wagoon

The Car,

So it had been in the works that I was looking for a another Datsun for a while to replace my 210 for DD. I had done a lot of searching for a DD Datsun and a lot of deals that just wouldn't work out. I had seen this Wagoon sitting behind a gated property but never really looked into it. Well months ago I thought ah what the hell and left a note in the mail on the front gate. 2 weeks I get a call from the owner, Billy, a real great guy. We talk it over and I ask if his 510 wagoon is for sale and said yes it is. So we set a date for the following week and I go over to look at the car. I was impressed. No rot with just a little surface rust and some need for body work, all and all, not too bad. So I get to chatting with Billy and we make a deal, I bought the Wagoon and a ton stuff that went with for only 700 cash. I was happy.

IMAG0628.jpg

The move, Part 1

I was able to pick my Wagoon Saturday afternoon with help of a work buddy. I had to wait a month due to the fact I'm trying to buy a house. Well that isn't going the way I planned so I went and picked up the wagoon. We had to take apart the right rear drum, it was locked up tight, but thankfully I was able to get the drum off and the wheel spinning freely to where we could push it.

IMAG0649.jpg

The motor doesn't run or I would have driven it on the trailer (If I could had but she's got brakes period!) but we got her on the trailer with no problems and tied down ready to go.

IMAG0651.jpg

IMAG0650.jpg

So we get to my place work with no probs, find the spot where we are going to unload her and the ramps down. My buddy is going to steer and I wonder if we were to close but I didn't chance to think about this because the slightest nudge sent her rolling only to be stop by hitting the fence at my work place....so....poor judge of distance+no brakes+fence equals----

IMAG0654.jpg

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

IMAG0653.jpg

Now I need to add finding a new hatch door to my list of items I need....at least the glass didn't break. Next up, the clean out and what I got with my new Wagoon.

Alot of paper back manuals and parts catalogs I got too. Any of these rare or sought after?

IMAG0657.jpg

More to come!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Super Score :thumbup:

Thanks man, been reading your Build and I must, you inspire me!

Anywho, cleaned it out a little today, get some Int pic's when I get some better light but here is a few under the hood.

IMAG0668.jpg

IMAG0670.jpg

IMAG0669.jpg

I think all I'm missing is a head and intake but I'm not sure if I need to yank the short block and do some cleaning first or just slap a head on and go with it.

Nice find. Too bad about it rolling into the fence.

That how to modify book is pretty rare. It is the first year (1973) and they changed the name to hot to Hot Rod your Datsun the next year.

Good luck with the build.

Nice find!

Damm shame about the tailgate, but, at least you guys seem to have more access to 1600 goons and parts than we do here.

With the engine I'd almost be inclined to give it a quick "poor mans hone" I.e. a spray of wd40 down the bores and a quick clean/wipe down with some steel wool, oil change (obviously) and then bolt a top end to it.

Looks like a great project car.

BTW, WTF is that on the bonnet?

BTW, WTF is that on the bonnet?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That would be some sort of plastic lid that the OP put to cover the massive hole cut into the hood so would not close on the air cleaner.

• 3 months later...

Up date time!

Been awhile but I've finally got some time to start work on my Goon. The first thing I did was pick up an L-16 SSS head and Ele dizzy from John (DatsunFreak), also got a rear goon hatch from him as well. Can't really being to say just how great of a guy John is. Thanks for all the help you've giving me, I'm sure I'll be needed more soon! :P

Any ways, here's pic's of the head before I sent it out to the shop.

IMAG0761_zps213e0584.jpgIMAG0760_zps9f619aa3.jpg

Yeah, needed a little work. It got a valve job, cleaned and guides. It's much prettier now but I'll have to take pic's when I'm ready to put the long block together cus I've got it stored for the time. My plan was to just slap the head on the motor the way it at sat in the Goon (ref pic's above) but then I got to thinking... Aww hell! Might as well yank it out, clean the block, slap some new rings and bearings in it, so I did just that.

Last weekend me and a Co-worker towed the goon into the shop and yanked the motor and trans out, took 20 minutes to do but because it was so late in the day, I couldn't take any pic's while getting it out. :no: I'll try to make up for this when I put it back in. It's kinda hard to take pic's and work on the motor at the same time due to this all being at my job.

So out, I split the trans and short block and began my tear down. I had to admit, I never thought those 4sp were so dam light!

IMAG0842_zps4067683e.jpg

I got the motor on a stand and started taking everything off. I was really surprised how clean the oil came out, no water or junk it at all for sitting with no head outside since 2006. There was even clean green coolant in the water passages, no rust! Once I got everything off, I got a good look at the crank, again...impressed!

IMAG0827_zps889a0480.jpgIMAG0829_zps0145f487.jpgIMAG0832_zps6a83899a.jpg

All the parts I took off....

IMAG0824_zps89ea61f4.jpg

The top of the pistons look much worse than they really are. The only one that gave my problems was #2, I found the rings were frozen to the piston itself but still came out with just a little tapping on a wood block.

IMAG0840_zps7e5bf63c.jpgIMAG0841_zpsbcf996fc.jpg

#1 cylinder

IMAG0833_zpsd0c3e686.jpg

#2 cylinder

IMAG0834_zps7926c064.jpg

#3 cylinder

IMAG0835_zpsd257ce85.jpg

#4 cylinder

IMAG0837_zpsd8f6e8bc.jpg

So I was able to pull the crank and pistons out yesterday and started cleaning them. Right off the bat, all the bearings look new, I mean dang, look at them shine!

IMAG0853_zps3b203b99.jpgIMAG0852_zps8e59617b.jpg

Check out those crank journals!

IMAG0859_zpsa373c121.jpg

Are these holes suppose to be there?

IMAG0860_zps9ddeca21.jpg

Even the piston bearings!

IMAG0857_zps1f05f134.jpg

IMAG0854_zps780dced6.jpg

The piston skirts look good and there is only light surface rust on the cylinder walls in the block, a good Speed Glazing Hone will clean them up with a couple passes each.

IMAG0849_zpsf1517c14.jpg

And like her name shake....the Odd Job is still making go, "What the hell is that!" case in point, Prepping the block for a hot tank bath, I note this plate inside the block held by two screws.

IMAG0844_zps8cf139f0.jpg

So I take it out so I clean behind it and make sure nothing is blocked when I find this,

IMAG0845_zps9096b993.jpgIMAG0847_zps903d3fb8.jpg

What the hell....is this part of the engine or did the last PO make this (filter screen) and stick it up in that hole cus I have no dam clue!

It was the last thing that needed to come off the block and now heading into the tank with the pistons for a full day of being Hot tank washed!

IMAG0863_zps4099fc47.jpg

More to come but I have to wait, I had to order my hone and won't get til next week (I hope). I still need to figure out if the bearings, rings and pistons are all standard sizes or if there has been work done. Each piston has KA 50 stamped on top, anyone know what that means?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...