revamping sitting truck

I bought a 620 off a friend. His Dad had built this truck in the late 70s and showed it early 80s. It is pretty cool lots of work done to it. Well his dad started having health problems and the truck got put away. Well he ended up dieing, in 85. Well his mom didnt want to get rid of the truck, sentimental reasons. Well his mom is now going into a condo and she finally told Tom he could have the truck. Well he didnt want it not into it. So he got ahold of my parents looking for me knowing I am into Datsuns. And we connected and log story short (to late)I now have the truck. My concern is it has been sitting since 1985. It is a complete truck, has a offenhauser intake, tublular header, no carb, Tom took it and sold years ago he said..It has been in a garage..

What should I do to see if this is engine is even working on? and what else should I check? Any help, I would appreciate...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have an extra carb? bolt a carb on and crank it up. I bet anything it will run. If it was a runner when they parked it I know it will start with a carb and some tinkering. where are you living these days? (heard you moved, I think you told me :) ) I could swing by and give you a hand.

I want to see a pic of this truck :) sounds like a sweet truck. Your getting a collection going. :)

Do you have an extra carb? bolt a carb on and crank it up. I bet anything it will run. If it was a runner when they parked it I know it will start with a carb and some tinkering. where are you living these days? (heard you moved, I think you told me :) ) I could swing by and give you a hand.

I want to see a pic of this truck :) sounds like a sweet truck. Your getting a collection going. :)

I am living up in Mountlake Terrace now, And yes I would love to have you come help me out. I very much respect your ability to work on these crazy machines...Let me do some playing around with it and see where it goes. I will let you know how it goes. I also have to get this 521 going, this I may need help with. It turns over and I am getting fuel..just wont fire...NO spark somewhere....I want to get this running before I try to sell...which I am going to sell,

I am living up in Mountlake Terrace now, And yes I would love to have you come help me out. I very much respect your ability to work on these crazy machines...Let me do some playing around with it and see where it goes. I will let you know how it goes. I also have to get this 521 going, this I may need help with. It turns over and I am getting fuel..just wont fire...NO spark somewhere....I want to get this running before I try to sell...which I am going to sell,

Your selling the 521? why I heard it is super clean.

Your selling the 521? why I heard it is super clean.

It is a nice little truck, and I bought it with ever intention of fixing it and making it a drive. But I found this 620 and I am a bit more into the 620s than the 521s. And besides, as you stated before I am getting a few to many trucks. So some of them have to go..I thought I had it sold to Steve, Skips brother , but I guess he got your old 521....ah well no harm. And as far as pictures go, i have no digital camera and no way to get them on the net. I will borrow someones camera and shoot some photos...

Well I tried to hand crank the engine today and it wouldnt budge. So I am assuming that it is seized and needs to be rebuilt. I am not to surprised considering it sat for 22 yrs...I am just curious on how the tranny and rear end are. I do have a 76 620 that I bought awhile ago and I was going to sell it but I was thinking of using it for the drive trail...it isnt the best little truck but it runs like a champ...I was going to sell it for $600 or so. But I am thinking what is it going to cost to get my new one running, compared to using my 76 as donor car and parting with the rest....Ant body have advice. I figure I probly could get a used engine $200-$250ish, plus tranny might as well get a new one or even put a 5spd in,,,$150ish...I dont know help....I need someone elses opinion?

Now I see why you need that carb :P

I'm hoping you don't need the intake as I tossed it, but the carb is your's ;)

It's sitting in my storage unit in Northgate, so I could drop it by. PM me your address and phone #

I should be able to get it to you later this week...

It seems not a lot of people sell a running L-series these days. I see some pieces of an L20b on craigslist that needs to be rebuilt (bored too) and they want $200 just for the parts! (I don't think they're worth that much at all)

too bad that convertable I had 3 years ago ended up in a towing yard and probably in the wrecking yard after that. Sold it for 300 and it had an awesome running L20b/Weber/5-spd. :(

Sitting for 22 years is a long time! Is that truck super clean?

Ya, but what kind of shape is it going to be in? I have a 76 620 that I bought for $500 a few months back...And it is a runner has a L20b with a Weber and runs out great. I was thinking of parting it out and using that drive train..What do you think about that. I figure I am going to be into a engine and tranny for that plus all the extra parts I might need....It is a real nice straight truck with a little surface rust and the old floor rust problems but I have been driving it to work and it cruises 70 easy...So I might do that and then off the rest....Anybody need any 620 parts????

• 4 years later...

Wha....? Here we are nearly five years later (oops, almost said "down the road"...) You still have the truck?

Well, I did something stupid earlier this summer. I've got a '71 521 that sat for four years. Best advice on this thread is to pull the plugs & put a little oil down in the holes & hand crank it to make sure the engine hasn't seized. Well--I put in a fresh battery, turned the key, and even though I heard the starter kick in, it wouldn't turn over. So I rolled it down the driveway and let up on the clutch & the rear wheels skidded. Yep, seized engine. Rule of thumb is you got to start them every few weeks and drive 'em around the block or whatever, or your little Datsun will develop leaks and die. All moving parts will morph into one solid mass.