"The Keeper"

Bob3

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Sorry, busy time of the season, We are painting 2 schools right now.

I bought the paint, and the engine bay is close. But the booth is a mess and needs cleaned and painted before i paint anything in there important.

With that fire scare you'll had. I thought it might be a good thing the car is still here.

Sorry, busy time of the season, We are painting 2 schools right now.

I bought the paint, and the engine bay is close. But the booth is a mess and needs cleaned and painted before i paint anything in there important.

With that fire scare you'll had. I thought it might be a good thing the car is still here.

The fire was very scary! I was glad that I had one less thing to worry about, but now I'm ready to get that beauty home! Post some PICS!!!

Thanks for all you and Vic do, I know it's going to be AWESOME!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Updates :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

it's happening

Almost had the engine bay finished, when in late June, a 3 day rain down pour hit the shop.

This was at the same time I had finally got a contractor in the shop to help make more space.

You guessed it everything was outside. WTF, i figured being late June all would be good.

Instead of trying to sand rust off for hours, we decided to blast the bay one last time to remove everything, rust, filler, etc.

Looks good now. I'm taking the week off to get this one into paint.

20130730_083231_resized_zps848ffd2f.jpg

Also decided with the mess at hand we would blast the inner rear fender wells

20130730_083246_resized_zps6872151b.jpg

My goal by Sunday is to have the trunk lid jambed, engine bay, hinges, and rear interior quarter areas jambed

I just want to see color

• Like 1

Just so everybody knows this takes longer then it looks on Ratsun. We been on the Keeper all week. Hoping to see paint by Sunday.

Paint to the engine bay :)

Installed the hood, and fenders to make sure everything fits before paint. Last thing you want to do is paint it and have parts not fit.

20130801_111921_resized_zps3d8b0204.jpg

20130801_111550_resized_zps28f93551.jpg

20130801_111538_resized_zps24dbb000.jpg

Parts seem to line up very well

Had to weld a crack in the middle of the hood frame support. Lame idea by Datsun to have a center hole. Funny this is I see hood with out the hole.

I'm eliminating that hole so it will never crack again. Say no to crack in the hood

20130801_111601_resized_zps43364905.jpg

Donkey kong is a go gettin mfer 

I cant wait to see the paint on this one 

I live close enough but never seem to get to see these cars final paint before delivery but the pics look fantastic 

Keep it up guys you do fantastic work 

Sorry for another rediculously noobish question, but that's the only kind I got. Why is the sealer only applied on certain areas? It looks like about 80% of the car is masked off.

It's a valid question.. I'm interested to know also.

If you look at previous pics you will see that the car is in Primer. No need to primer those areas again. (until there blocked and ready for the next step).

The rest of the body has Metal Loc primer surfacer, this is a high build / DTM primer. DTM direct to bare metal.

I would of primed (say) the door jambs with Metal Loc but it is hard as fuck to sand with 320gt. 320 is our final dry sanding on jambs before paint.

Sand blasted areas only need to sealed then painted. For example the door jambs do not require priming sanding, priming sanding. Only sheet metal requires that many steps, to make it straight and flat. Door jambs without any paint on them do not have layers of paint to level out. 

Would be cool to leave the jambs til the car is ready for jamb paint. but then they will be rusty. So better to seal them with DP epoxy primer. EZ to sand and is $200+ a gallon.

The car is not ready for full paint, just the engine bay.
Next step will be to continue on making the body straight

• Like 2

[drop] Knowledge [/drop]

Gotcha. Thank you for always taking the time to give thorough and sincerely helpful answers to questions like these. Even when you could have just said, "because the rest is already primed, dipshit." and called it a day, you gave us the answer we needed. Not the one we deserved.

WOW !  :thumbup:

I've been so busy I have not been on here for weeks. HOLY SHIT!!! I'm so excited!

Looking good James!

Just so everyone knows it's going to be painted California Speed Orange. James sent me a sample panel and it is BEAUTIFUL!