With a heavy heart, i am asking for advice.

My mother just passed away recently,

I am going to speak at her funeral on wendsday, i am at a loss for how to start putting words together.

I guess this is an odd topic but if anyone has advice or experience in such matters, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's horrible man, sorry for your loss. I lost my dad 8 years ago, and although he didn't want a service, I sat down and reflected on all the things he taught me and the values he instilled in me and kind of came up with my own way to put into words what he meant to me, and his friends as well. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

sorry for your loss. you can start with pictures. i have seen a poster board of pictures at my own family services, visible for friends and family when arriving.. as you put this together it will help you reflect and put into words what she enjoyed and how she presented herself in life.

• Like 1

Commiserations, it's a terrible thing to lose someone close to you.

Unfortunately, I have had to attend a number of funerals in the last year, however, what has made them easier has been they all had people speak about humorous, and positive parts of the deceaseds life.

Solemnity is a part of any funeral service, although positive stories and some humorous quips can make the whole process easier to accept.

A funeral should be a celebration of a persons life and I encourage you to add as much positivity that you can.

Respectfully

Jason

• Like 1

Id recommend a good few minutes spent by yourself reflecting. Then Im sure that whatever you feel is right will come natural... No matter what kind of mood you want to set, wakes can be pretty important. You want to make sure that whatever you do isnt forced. If comedy isnt what youre feeling, dont try to make people laugh. If you have some half put together slideshow or poster, then dont show it off. Shes your mother... deep down you know what she meant to you, and whatever comes to the surface during the wake will come. Youll just feel what you need to say.

I second what RatWagon has said... funerals are meant to be a celebration of life so whatever you share, is meant to resonate with the people that are there with you. Make them remember your mother for who she really was. Just be yourself and tell it like it is. You cant ever really prepare for something like this, but youll catch on quick and speak from your heart.

• Like 1

Remember the good times. The favorite stories. When my gramma died, I recalled how she came to see me in college just for fun, and I took her out to Grand Falls and jumped the truck with her in it. She wasn't even scared! Or rather, she told me she trusted my judgement and probably was scared, but didn't let on at the time. I was very very fond of her. Used to drive all over California with her when I was a kid. We'd listen to Garrison Keillor (spelling?) on Prairie Home Companion on NPR, and laugh uproariously at the Grandmother's Cat was to Fat for the Shelf songs. Those are the kind of things that should be mentioned at a funeral.

So sorry for your loss. It is a hard thing to do and you want to say the right things but try to remember, you are speaking about a great life that she lived so reflect on all the good things and fun times.

I had to write a Eulogy for my grandfather a few years ago and it was hard. I went to google and did a search and found some good stuff to help me.

Here is one I just found.

http://dying.about.com/od/funeralsandmemorials/ht/write_a_eulogy.htm

I am sure there are lots more.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I've never dealt with loss quite that close to me, but I feel like I can understand how you feel.

As Z Chopper said, funerals are a celebration of ones life. It's understood why a funeral would be a sad place, but there's no reason why you can't smile as well. Tell stories of the good times because thats what you want her to be remembered for. Don't be afraid to show a few tears, as its natural and emotions should never be held in.

It's not easy talking about death even though it is part of the very essence of life, but it is necessary. I think you'll find that when you stand up there and get comfortable, the words will come right out and you'll feel a lot better.

Just keep your head up high and know that you have people all over the world standing behind you.

sorry for your loss we lost our grandma last year and a little comedy is good lightens the room she would want you te remember the happy times and the wooden spoons too put a mix together of fun times and silly moments make it as long or short as you need but you will always remember this so make it in a way you feel good about your mother will be smiling down on you with a big smile on her face of how proud she is of you

good luck Randy