3D Modeling

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So now I need a spindle to add to the frame. I played around with inserting an image again into the 3D environment.......this time on BOTH axis'. Kinda freaky! I scaled them and moved them around to mate up at the base of the spindle. Not sure just how helpful this will be for what I'm trying to do, but it was educating :)

step1.jpg

step3.jpg

step4.jpg

step5.jpg

so i got a job offer from someoen wanting to teach me solidworks nad throw me into prototyping when i went to work on his datto. can i ask if anyone has any input on this, is it remotely fun to do or satisfying, as far as i can see it would be but idk if its just the most mundane thing one could do with ones self.

also is ther anywhere to obtain a trial version of solid or is the student one the only option for the 99 bucks

well its a lateral move as far as pay and such, but i do love doing things on computers. i use a lego cad program for hours on end building stuff casue i dont have to clean up after and no stepping on them. i think i could do it but i didnt know if i was way off base on how fun/interesting it would be.

Sounds like what I'd want to do. The prototyping would be the key interest. Just working on CAD all day attending to details that someone else didn't want to bother with would be boring as hell, but working with it in conjunction with prototyping parts......sweet! I'd be asking a lot more questions about exact details of the job.

I ended up having a use for the outline over image stuff I've been working(playing) with. It's not 3D modeling, so I posted the pics in the Mend thread with the rest of the ball joint mod, but here's a link to the post.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/8175-mklotz70-project-mend/page__st__680#entry783565

2eDeYe' timestamp='1351295879' post='783666']

I design stuff in 3D for a living and it is very satisfying seeing stuff I design being built and used. I highly recommend it. :)

Right now I do no modeling other than in my spare time for fun as I run a CNC mill. I showed up to the place Im working at now the some times as another, but he got the modeling/QA job and I got the machine job. Hes completely useless and the guy that runs QA right now always talks about wanting me in there. But the guy I showed up with is the owners nephew so thats not going to happen.

Ive always been a computer guy and not a hands-on guy so it would be nice to get back behind a screen again. I do like what I do so I keep on keeping on (plus it pays the bills), but it would be nice to transition to just modeling full time.

CafeRacer.png

PaintballGun.png

The bike was just me thinking about the possibility of welding a custom frame around some other drivetrain.....

The paintball gun on the other hand was (is) entirely custom and has full prototype internals...I did math, but never built one.... didnt have access to a machine shop to do it myself and its pretty expensive to get one off machine work done.... but i thjink it'd work.... :P

internally it worked kind of like a hybrid of the two lol....so funny you guys mentioned those. It was a lot smaller than even a mini... by a good inch or 2 in both length and height. basically it was similar to an ion like bolt design (really only the front 3rd of an ion bolt though) that had a spring return on it rather than pnuematic which was purely to save space. I wanted to see how small of a paintball gun I could make. It was just under 4 inches long at first but I stretched it to I think 5 inches to make space for a comfortable grip and what not

it was partially a mut too, used a modded dm3 breech, sft shocker regulator adapter, dye ultralight trigger. I tried to use existing parts where I could because I wanted to prototype one just for shits, never got around to it...

also

Image1.jpg

high school engineering project, for some reason I lost a lot of files....I also had a 80% complete ego7 less the body....all gone :/

yeah I wasn't intending on marketing lol. I was 15 or 16 when I drew that. it was a gimmick really. I was bored one summer and had inventor. it is actually smaller than an automag too. I can't quite remember how automags worked internally but I remember they're single tube so could be similar to what I did

I use Maya (autodesk software) to do 3D modeling for games and characters for animation. Spent a fortune going to school to learn this stuff, so I might as well have some fun with it now. What file type would a machine shop need for the stuff like what you guys have been posting?

I didn't attach any of my work because it is different 3D (mostly low poly count modeling for older game engines), but you can see some of my stuff on my website if you want. http://www.cgsling.com/games/games.htm

I use Maya (autodesk software) to do 3D modeling for games and characters for animation. Spent a fortune going to school to learn this stuff, so I might as well have some fun with it now. What file type would a machine shop need for the stuff like what you guys have been posting?

I didn't attach any of my work because it is different 3D, but you can see some of my stuff on my website if you want. http://www.cgsling.com/games/games.htm

Our shop accepts a couple things, but Im pretty sure their preferred format is sldprt for SW. BTW, your website is just a COMING SOON page...

Edit: Nevermind... found it by changing the URL to cgsling.com/games

Our shop accepts a couple things, but Im pretty sure their preferred format is sldprt for SW. BTW, your website is just a COMING SOON page...

Edit: Nevermind... found it by changing the URL to cgsling.com/games

Thanks. I will see if Maya will work, If not I'll find a copy of solidworks and try to learn how to use it. I'm not sure what is wrong with my websites home page, Ill have to fix that.

What files will Maya save in? There may be something that we would take.

PM me if you cant figure out your site issues... I do web work on the side.

When I get home I will take a look and send you a PM with the file types. For my web problem, I think the welcome.html got overwritten with godaddy's welcome.html they use by default. The customer service member told me to rename it to index.html and that should work. If it doesn't I may need your assistance haha. Thanks for the help.

What file type would a machine shop need for the stuff like what you guys have been posting?

Most places I work with use .dxf for flat plate stuff, water jet, laser & plasma table type stuff. They like step files for NC Machined parts. Depending on the shop the breakdown guy will usually convert our Catia files to whatever they need.

I send .dxfs to my plasma guy for personal stuff.