3D Modeling

I'm pretty much done with the design of this thing!  I put most of the pics up on my belt sander thread.......

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/17029-mklotz70-belt-sander-build/page-7#entry883044      .....if you go to the previous link, I posted some pricing info if you're curious.

DSM26k.jpg

DSM26j.jpg

DSM26i.jpg

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to put all the CAD stuff here....a bunch will be put in the grinder thread. 

Gotta love CAD!!!  I was working on making a 10" contact wheel work.  I wanted it to work on the same arm as the 8".  I thought I had it figure out, but as you see in the 2nd pic, there's a bolt head interfering.  So, I figure out that with the 4" drive wheel, I can get it to work just fine on the same arm as the 8". 

edit:..  DOH!  They posted in reverse order.....start at the bottom pic and work up :)

Picture0003.jpg

DSM2b.jpg

DSM2a.jpg

DSM2.jpg

DSM.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Going to make a drill jig to drill a second hole in several hundred brackets at work.  Figured I'd create it in CAD first :)  The silver piece is the bracket that gets the second hole(which is shown in the bracket already)

The knobs will line up with the slots in the small drill press at work so that it can be clamped into position. 

PRJig.jpg

PRJig2.jpg

PRJig3.jpg

Maybe I should just start my own thread since I seem to be hogging this one.

Since I posted the CAD work, I thought I'd put up a few pics of the finished project.  I had a piece of aluminum here, but it wasn't quite as wide, so I decided to have just the backstop.  Seems like it will work really nicely.  Basically, we'll use a bracket that has the hole in the correct place, use it to align the jig, then tighten the jig to the drill press table.  The the brackets with one hole can be dropped on the pin, pushed to the backstop, drilled, removed, repeated. :)

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of reworking my truck kit.  I've had this idea for awhile and wanted to explore the option before the last batch was made....but time wasn't on my side.  I've run out of kits again and I'm not doing any more until the ball joint mod is done.  I'm not sure how much of this project's CAD work I'll put here. I may start another thread for it.....but this is convenient for now.

I'm not finished with the spindle model, but it was close enough for this.  The caliper/ring thing is a temporary part to help with alignment and placement.  Maybe at some point, I'll have time to model the rest of the hub/rotor/caliper, but for now, I just needed a way to figure out the new shape of the main plate.  Obviously, the main plate clears the single piston caliper I've been using for years.  This is an exploration into whether I can use the 2 piston on the HB rotor....which is a good bit smaller than the Passport rotor it's typically used on. I'm pretty sure the caliper bracket will hit the top hat of the rotor, but I'll worry about that a bit later.  Anyway........you can see the over lap of the bracket on the main plate in these 2 images.  I can now modify the main plate and know that it will clear.  :)

The added benefit was that as I was trying to put the spindle and plate together, I found out that the holes in my plate were off by a few thou.....have been for years I guess.  lol

2piston.jpg

2piston2.jpg

....so a bit more playing....  I put the clearance dips back in the longest straight by the caliper to make sure it would still clear the single piston.  I then figured out how to position the main plate holes so that I can use the same tab instead of 2 different ones like the old bracket.  Out of time for now....

2piston3.jpg

2piston4.jpg

• Like 1

The added benefit was that as I was trying to put the spindle and plate together, I found out that the holes in my plate were off by a few thou.....have been for years I guess.  lol

Funny how the real world works even when a little out of tolerance :lol:

• Like 1

......hide the extra stuff, throw in some temp spacers since I don't know what the offset will be yet.   I'm considering this for the next batch.......plug welding the tabs to the spacers.

2piston5.jpg

2piston6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Latest CAD work.  Not quite done, but I think it's all figured out.  Still more CAD work to do.  Not sure if I'm making it or not.  No plans of production....just a one off set.  This fits on the 521 kingpin spindle. :)

rotor.jpg

rotor4.jpg

ToyHub5Lug2.jpg

rotor2.jpg

ToyHub5Lug.jpg

rotor3.jpg

OutlawAssy2.jpg

OutlawAssy3.jpg

OutlawAssy4.jpg

OutlawAssy1.jpg

OutlawAssy5.jpg

OutlawAssy.jpg