3D Modeling

So Ive started to play around with Solidworks 2012 at work... Im brand new to modeling (other than a very brief stint in junior high school like 14yrs ago) so Im learning as I go. Ive seen a few people post models in various threads as well as say that they are machinists or rapid prototypers and figured it might be a cool if we had a place to share parts or assemblies, possibly ask a few questions.

Im still learning so most of my models are pretty basic:

Headlight intake cone that Im going to be making an assembly out of... adding a removable filter and attachment for connecting to carb/TB

7711886830_86574d011f_c.jpg

OEM lock pull. Im hoping to run these through one of the auto-lathes to be able to bring a bunch to Blue Lake

7720983952_f2a55e6020_c.jpg

Ratsun fender emblem. I dont know what Im going to do with it; just playing around.

7718171022_c2b89990cd_c.jpg

I know there are people far far far better than I, so lets see some good 3D models that youve done.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good Tristan.

If you are interested, I'll dig out a copy of sheet I took from all things, a manual on how to hot up Minis.

It has some great flowbench stats and pictures of the best curves to get the highest volume of airflow for things like your intake cone.

Cheers

Jason

P.s. it will make more sense when you see the picture.

Ok.

Can't find the.pdf I have of this.

I'm off work for a couple of weeks so don't have access to the speccy IT gear I can normally get my hands on (high res scanners etc) , and my low cost home scanner printer has decided not to work, so, at the moment, a photo of the page is going to have to suffice till I can rescan it.

c504f71f.jpg

Should give you a general idea.

Nice work Tristin. I'm a beginner too, but I definitely want subscribed to this :)

I'll just throw one up from the current ball joint mod going on in my Mend thread. I'm having trouble getting the tabs bent the way I want, but I also need the plate flat to generate the dxf file for the laser cutter.....so I'm going to leave it like this for awhile.

ctrlarmwithtabs7.jpg

LOL....I don't eat that many pickles :) They fit a specific pulley and work awesome.....but of course, some jerk wad has put them in his box and I haven't seen them in months.

The tabs are the ones on each side of the tubes. I'd like to bend the plate about a half inch prior to the tube so that the end of the slot the tube is in is perpendicular to the tube. I know how to get it done, but there's something wrong with how I drew the rest of the plate that is stopping it from being allowed. It works the way it is for now.

• 1 month later...

So been a bit... I have a few designs in the works currently (not much I want to show off right now at this stage), but here is something simple. Im looking to clean up my engine bay so Im ditching the battery! Id rather not pay the crazy prices for battery boxes, so Im starting to make my own:

8011538209_7a0e69e0f4_c.jpg

I have it set up like this, as Im going to take L-stock and bend it into a tray (since we have a bunch in the shop as scrap). Then Im going to cut out a center section to make a bottom which will all be bolted together with 3/8s flat bolts through both pieces and the trunk floor.