3D Modeling

LOL. I just came across these as I was doing something else. I can't find an album in my photobucket, so I doubt I've posted these anywhere. I vaguely remember someone emailing/pm'ing me about something like this. They wanted to have the options for shoulder belts in their 510 wagon. I don't remember the details, but this is the idea I was playing around with. It swivels so that it won't bind and it's removable for when you want to drop the seat down and carry a load.

Bar1.jpg

Bar2.jpg

Bar3.jpg

Bar4.jpg

mountwithscrew.jpg

mountwithscrew2.jpg

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on the ball joint mod. Did up this just this morning. The more you learn how to use it, the better you get, the better you get the more you enjoy it! :) I wasn't sure I could get all the blending done when I started, but I fingered it out :)

StkCrossShft.jpg

So I'm trying to import vectors into SW and I'm running into an issue. Im using the option to import Adobe Illustrator files into SW, but since the computer doesn't have it installed, it can't translate it. I have AI only on my home computer and I only have SW on my work computer.

Is there any way to import vectors into SolidWorks that doesn't require a 3rd party translator.

And if not, does somebody here have both installed that would mind importing a couple vectors for me and just saving them as sldprt?

Well I do a lot of custom vector graphics in AI. Say I drew up the Datsun logo in Illustrator and wanted to cut it out of a piece of stock. Right now my option is to save that logo as a jpeg, insert the image, and then either try the shitty autotrace mode or redraw over the lines to get a SW sketch.

I can never get autotrace to function properly and it never comes out the same if I have to redraw it. Plus I already drew it once... Why should I do it again. SW allows you to import AI files in and automatically turns them into SW sketches (at least that's how I'm reading it).

That's what I want to do.

Forgot about that...

This is how to do it in Catia, which should be pretty much the same way as SW.

Create your image in AI, export it as a .dxf

Open the .dxf in SW.

You can then copy the linework and paste it into a sketch or 'print' it directly to your printer or cutter.

You really only need a .dxf to send out for cutting though. That's all I ever send to my plasma table guy, usually by email. :)

Edit: You can also use this to add text to your solid models. Create the text in a drawing, save it as a .dxf, then open the .dxf and copy and paste the lines into a part sketch.

So...it's not 3D, but I've wanted to figure out how to do this for several years now. The original drawing is a screen capture from the FSM (521). I converted that to dxf via WinTopo(freeware). That created huge drawing. The distance between the LCA pivots was about 389 inches. I scaled that down in CAD so that it's now the correct 13". I then figured out how to do layers in CAD. The drawing is on a separate layer from the lime green. The blue lines for the frame are on a 3rd layer. I need to try putting the original jpg on a layer. That might be easier to decipher than the converted dxf.

layereddraft.jpg

Funny.....if you use the help in the software, it answers a lot of questions! LOL (read the siggy!)

It won't open the jpg directly, but you can do a copy/paste from paint and it will take the jpg. I still need to look at the sizing and see where it's at.

.......just checked. It won't scale the jpg. It will scale the dxf file. So, I can trace everything on the jpg and scale it after the fact, but with the dxf, I can scale it before drawing everything. I guess it will just depend on which image is easier to work with.

You can insert jpegs. You want to go to Sketch Tools and use the sketch from image selection. It will insert a picture into a new sketch. I then draw a line from two points that you know the distance of. Dimension it. Then scale the picture by dragging the corner of it until the line matches your two points again.

I wasn't sure it would work at first, or if this is exactly what you had in mind, but I did get the jpg into the CAD...in the 3D environment actually and I also got it scaled. I started with a straight on view to put some circles where some of the main pivots are. I did a quick outline of part of the frame. I then extruded each to semi-random lengths. In the second pic, I hid the sketch. Great info Tristin! Thanks!! :)

3Djpg.jpg

3Djpg2.jpg