3D Modeling

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2011-04-07_15-45-40_854.jpg

What was the point of welding together a control arm out of jigsaw pieces vs. milling it out of solid stock and just cutting that relief in it? Did you need it to be hollow or something? That just seems crazy... nice welding skills though...

What was the point of welding together a control arm out of jigsaw pieces vs. milling it out of solid stock and just cutting that relief in it? Did you need it to be hollow or something? That just seems crazy... nice welding skills though...

6500 LB trophy truck.

Can you imagine the weight/time/cost of a billet control arm that is 30" long?!?! The material alone would be thousands for each arm!

6500 LB trophy truck.

Can you imagine the weight/time/cost of a billet control arm that is 30" long?!?! The material alone would be thousands for each arm!

so what truck is it on? i used to do work in the desert offroad industry for baja shop, mosebilt, and offroad evolution

2eDeYe' timestamp='1351868043' post='787343']

Most places I work with use .dxf for flat plate stuff, water jet, laser & plasma table type stuff. They like step files for NC Machined parts. Depending on the shop the breakdown guy will usually convert our Catia files to whatever they need.

I send .dxfs to my plasma guy for personal stuff.

Thank you.

so i went and talked to the shop owner, he said his merger is going slower than expected but i did start as a apprentice machinist making square blocks so the cnc can do its job proper. make 15hr under the table working 3 hours a day after i get of work from my regular job at 8 hours a day and before i go home to the shop to work on customer cars. never thought i would have 3 jobs. gotta make that money. ill try to get some pics of the stuff im doing. granted its just square blocks, and the final product is a prototype thats proprietary so i cant photo that. ill find some goodies for you guys to drool over hopefully

I guess I posted this during the hiccup. I got this idea several years ago to make my own steering wheel. It was when I saw the one Paccoast made for his show truck. This isn't what I had in mind then, but it's what I came up with the other day when I started playing with the idea in CAD. I finished it up this morning. It's not completely done, but I've got a couple of other ideas to play with too, but I have a few things to finish first.

13StrgWhVer2.jpg

13StrgWhVer2a.jpg

13StrgWhVer2b.jpg

13StrgWhVer2back.jpg

For any of the Ratsun machinist/programmers in the San Diego area.... Any of you work in good shops that are a easier to get into as a new operator? I'm tempted to move back down south and I have the option of just going back to school or continuing in the CNC field (which I do enjoy). I'd like preferably to go programming/modeling/QA only, but operator is fine.

It would be nice to have something near to lined up before heading down there. Any thoughts from the locals?

• 3 months later...

Is that the new design for the belt sander? Looks good!

Although I left my machiinist job (and the Solid Works) to attend school, Im lucky enough that the school has an industrial design program. What the means is I can still use the SW software and even have access to a 3D printer for a few projects I was looking to do. 

Yep.  Completely bolt together.  Main unit is done...drawings got submitted today for quotes.  Still have to finish up the 8" wheel attachment and the fish mouth attachment.

Oooo.....3D printer......sweet!!! :)

Sheet you make nice stuff!

3D printer is still on my wish list.

It will end up with an 8" wheel and fish mouth(3/4" - 2.5") option at some point.  Still haven't had enough time to play with the exploded views.  A couple are early renderings before I put some color to it.

explode3_zps1b24f541.jpg

FishMouth2_zpsc6d21d68.jpg

FishMouth3_zps24572190.jpg

render_zps06df2e12.jpg

render2_zpsbe183f29.jpg

8inWBelt2_zps642b40be.jpg

8inWBelt_zps89747d13.jpg

• Like 1