Revival of Little Miss Sunshine ('72 510) Found a 280zx hub

Tonight I had a good 4 hours working on the car. Disconnected the trans crossmember from the tunnel, ran to Lowes to get chain, unbolted the engine mounts, and disconnected one of the the two inner crossmember bolts. Tomorrow if I don't have to go pick up my other car I'll cut the other bolt (it's unreachable to loosen the other side) and pull the engine out.

F6E97B3A-16F5-4D7E-93F1-7D4AA79F2AF1-155-0000000B91F0BAF2.jpg?t=1352173754

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That L20 is clean!

Is this your first engine R & R?

That is correct, first time I've ever removed an engine out of a car. Thankfully I had a lot of help. Tonight I finally got her out of the car, and she'll hopefully be sold sometime this week to make way for the KA. I'm very tired, but excited at the same time.

293789_10151144783952476_1333883216_n.jpg

Welp this is the moment you've all been waiting for. Well only a few of you who reads this thread, but HERE SHE IS!

643999_10151151174352476_1197792955_n.jpg

Bought the KA24de for $400. Includes the engine, transmission, wiring harness, and ECU. I think it was an amazing deal, and look for more updates coming soon.

• Like 1

Looks clean! Just take it one step at a time, don't get too buried in projects, and before you know it she'll be alive.

Just cuz there's only a few commenters doesn't mean everyone is not reading...

Popped your cherry with the engine pull. Hows that cigarette?

Thanks. This is my only project, and I'm planning to take my time. I'm going to remove some small spots of rust, and repaint the whole engine bay. This thing isn't on a deadline, or a budget plan. Just can't wait to turn the key and here all the KA goodness! lol

damn $400! where are these deals? great score. keep it coming.

I got it from a friend of a friend of a friend on facebook. haha He's funding for a SR20 swap in his 92 240 so why not help both of us out and sell the old KA. Only parts I need from a 240 is the engine mounts, stock fuel pump, and some radiator hoses (bought a rad from a friend).

damn $400! where are these deals? great score. keep it coming.

I got it from a friend of a friend of a friend on facebook. haha He's funding for a SR20 swap in his 92 240 so why not help both of us out and sell the old KA. Only parts I need from a 240 is the engine mounts, stock fuel pump, and some radiator hoses (bought a rad from a friend).

it's good to have friends that need to move 'inventory'.

also, they don't rape you at the junk yards here on the east coast like they do over there. most prices are reasonable/negotiable...practically every time i go to the yards here in the baltimore area, i see vg30s, ka24e, and ka24de well in stock. of course the the 240sx have body damage (peeps just can't control their shit drift).

to get back on topic, can't wait to hear little miss roar again...sounds like you have a good plan not to get overwhelmed. Keep up the good and steady progress!

• 1 month later...
it's good to have friends that need to move 'inventory'.

also, they don't rape you at the junk yards here on the east coast like they do over there. most prices are reasonable/negotiable...practically every time i go to the yards here in the baltimore area, i see vg30s, ka24e, and ka24de well in stock. of course the the 240sx have body damage (peeps just can't control their shit drift).

to get back on topic, can't wait to hear little miss roar again...sounds like you have a good plan not to get overwhelmed. Keep up the good and steady progress!

Thanks for the positive motivation. I hardly see a 240 sit in a yard and within a day all that remains is a shell.

Right now the engine swap and the car in general is on the back burner. I work at a body shop, and winter is considered our "busiest time of the year" so I hardly get free time to tinker on the car. I'm also battling with myself to choose what car gets parts first. My Datsun or my 04 Subaru WRX. Eventually I will remove the engine crossmember, flip it, reinstall it as well as fabricate the 280zx front suspension, and find some new wheels and tires to fit over the bigger front brakes.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been almost a month since I last updated the thread. Currently the body shop I work at has been busy, and I'm working 6 days a week. So there's little time to go and work on the car. I also do not like to work in a freezing cold garage in the middle of winter, so until the temperatures warm up I'll be inactive for a while. I did purchase some parts for my 280zx front suspension swap. Picked up new brake pads, outer tie rods, and MR2 strut inserts. While the car may be in a cold garage, the struts can be modified inside. I'm starting to save up for camber plates for the front struts so I can really set this car down on the ground. Look for updates soon.

• 2 weeks later...

The weather was fair enough for me to go over to the garage and work on the car. Removed the front struts, brakes, sway bar, and engine crossmember. Later this week/weekend I will start planning the fabrication for the engine crossmember and the custom front coilovers.

150830_10151279957757476_1169569341_n.jp

Thanks guys. I have 280zx front brakes brakes ready to go on, but I need to replace one of the hubs that are bent. I'm also customizing the struts so they'll be fully adjustable.

In addition to the 280zx parts I have a 240 radiator that I picked up from a friend for next to nothing, and salvaged a cooling fan from a Dodge Dakota that I repaired at the body shop. 

• Like 1